2019-2020 Relegation Play Off

6 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

They should just promote Brora and Kelty and leave Brechin where they are.

Some may say it's fortunate for Brechin if that's what happens, as having seen them a few times this season, I've never seen a club more certain to lose a play-off. Several unfit players in a squad of jobbers and makeweights. When Brechin lost a goal the heads just dropped.

Assuming the club can battle through a dark time of zero income then when playing resumes they'll have been put on notice, really. Hopefully they'll be more competitive again when that time comes.

Bonnyrigg can still win the Lowland League, so they can't promote Kelty.

I don't see why the season can't start up again in the near future, assuming all the clubs survive.

You need to think logically. There is no way the season is going to start soon. It hasn’t peaked in England and we are behind them. I don’t believe we will see football in 2020, maybe behind closed doors. This self isolation is going to last months, with stricter measures yet to come. I was all for finishing the season but now don’t see how this will be possible.

You need to think logically. There is no way the season is going to start soon. It hasn’t peaked in England and we are behind them. I don’t believe we will see football in 2020, maybe behind closed doors. This self isolation is going to last months, with stricter measures yet to come. I was all for finishing the season but now don’t see how this will be possible.

Agree. Closed door games will not work. You have to look it the well being of the player and the back room staff.... many of which are essential to the running of the clubs and may be in the high risk category.

1 hour ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Was thinking when they ease the restrictions they might allow closed door games.

Is that with full wages for players, Travel costs, no gate money, no catering, no bar, no club shop, stewards being paid to keep folks out, etc?  Doesn’t seem a great solution for L2 teams 

Edited by Cowden Cowboy

15 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

There is no good option. If that’s not an option you may be talking about no football for 18 months. What’s a club to do for that length of time. Shut down, release players, if so a lot will not return I fear.

Yes but isn't that a worse option at our level - making yourself less viable in already very difficult circumstances?  I hear folks like Tom English suggesting scrap next year's Betfred Cup when  for some clubs that might represent as much as 10% of their annual income.  And what if a club goes into administration due to this - you can restart the current season say in September and they are deducted 15 points!   

What's the crack with "going into abeyance"?

You see it sometimes with junior clubs who hit hard times financially, or whose committee resigns and can't be replaced in the short term. These clubs take a year out and return when the committee and the biscuit tin has been replenished during the year out.

I'm guessing there's a reason why SPFL clubs can't do this. But I'm struggling to see why if next season is wrecked by this too...which looks odds on I'm afraid..clubs couldn't shut down to keeping the grass cut and minimal obligations paid off following the season's end. Keep the ground maintained, the floodlights working, keep raising funds where possible, but batten down the hatches until the world has beaten this thing.

It's not like the SPFL wants to lose members and I can't see why they couldn't accommodate this. Better that than clubs going down the drain trying to pay bills with no income streams.

On 21/03/2020 at 18:33, Aberdeen Cowden said:

There hasn’t been a decision made because there isn’t anyone competent enough to make it.

”Let’s just wait and see what everyone else does”

Well done to Brora anyway, probably the best team in the HL for the last few seasons.

There hasn't been a decision made anywhere in Europe because it's a) very difficult to decide what is fair and b) nobody knows how long this is going to last.

9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

There hasn't been a decision made anywhere in Europe because it's a) very difficult to decide what is fair and b) nobody knows how long this is going to last.

The point being that don’t expect any decisions until the rest of Europe have decided first.

Leagues one and two could be exempt due to the low crowds . Self distancing might  be fairly easy . 

No. They won’t be exempt. Also it won’t be fairly easy at all to keep a safe distance at a football game.

Why not. One of the original restrictions was gatherings of 500 or less.

To be honest I’m not really concerned about watching or attending sport of any kind at the moment. We are in the middle of a nightmare. I shouldn’t really have posted any kind of reply. I won’t be again.