2019-2020 Relegation Play Off

14 hours ago, Blue Oktober said:

Point accepted albeit the figure somewhat misguiding on a contextual point as when we take the 600K figure we are looking at at a mortality rate of circa 3.7% through influenza. 

In terms of Covid19 and ultimate contamination levels mortality etc a guessing game.

Unfortunately, it will always be a guessing game. The only way to know the fatality rate of any infection is to test everyone for it and calculate the numbers based on the fatality rate of those who test positive. Something that will never happen. There will be many more people infected than is known, because they won't and can't realistically test everyone. I know of two people who were showing symptoms. One was not tested and will never know if they had this virus. The other was more poorly and was tested when at hospital. It turned out to be a bacterial infection and both are ok.

It was and still is my personal opinion that temporarily isolating those with serious underlying health issues and the frail elderly people in our country would be a better course of action. What is a minor infection to the bulk of the population can be serious for people in these categories.

I originally had the view that a delay to the season would be the best option and I still do. I can understand a partial shutdown (talking about society here, not football) in order to slow the transmission rate and give the health service a chance to try and cope in the short term. However, I don't believe a longer term or near full shutdown is the right course to take (again, just an opinion).

This virus is unlikely to disappear. Like cold viruses, there are people all around the world infected at any given time and it will come and go, usually more often in winter months. For most of us it is not serious, but for some it is, as it is for them with many other infections. They are the people we need to help. If the bulk of us get the virus and quickly recover whilst the vulnerable are self isolating, then it reduces the chances of them getting infected and the experts have more time to try and develop antiviral treatments.

I think what is different with this virus is that it is believed to have spread from animals to humans, which is not that common and it spreads rapidly, which is even more uncommon in this scenario.

Anyway, best wishes to all. You know it is serious when we are discussing things like this on a football forum.

16 minutes ago, onecowden said:

If your opinion was using a ridiculous analogy (Edwina Currie) it’s no surprise you’re sorry. I’m sorry I had to read it.

That was in reply to someone who suggested following advice from the government .   An analogy to suggest that quite often government advice can be wrong. 

That was in reply to someone who suggested following advice from the government .   An analogy to suggest that quite often government advice can be wrong. 

Every Piece of Government advice should be taken on its own merits. No advice from the past especially on a completely different subject is irrelevant. I’m actually astounded your still digging the ever deeper hole. For your sake I’m saying no more on this matter.

6 minutes ago, onecowden said:

Every Piece of Government advice should be taken on its own merits. No advice from the past especially on a completely different subject is irrelevant. I’m actually astounded your still digging the ever deeper hole. For your sake I’m saying no more on this matter.

Get a grip of yersel min.  If you get this worked up over an alternative opinion I would suggest you try self isolation . 

14 minutes ago, Cold Feet said:

So League ends and all positions stays they are. Automatic promotion/ regulation happens.

No play off games for more spoils. 

Brechin engineer the GREATEST escape since Aberdeen.

Thanks bat eating boy.

ozzybat.jpg.f66f1ea9129c872eafb99fcde283640a.jpg

Fookin' 'ell Sharon, I saved Brechin.... 

A sensible decision given the table in the Highland league and no relegation. Much harder for the Lowland league and the Scottish leagues  to decide and while understanding the frustrations of clubs I think it is right they delay making a decision just now until the virus situation becomes clearer. Personally I would be very surprised if any football was played before August but who knows

27 minutes ago, elginer said:

A sensible decision given the table in the Highland league and no relegation. Much harder for the Lowland league and the Scottish leagues  to decide and while understanding the frustrations of clubs I think it is right they delay making a decision just now until the virus situation becomes clearer. Personally I would be very surprised if any football was played before August but who knows

There hasn’t been a decision made because there isn’t anyone competent enough to make it.

”Let’s just wait and see what everyone else does”

Well done to Brora anyway, probably the best team in the HL for the last few seasons.

They should just promote Brora and Kelty and leave Brechin where they are.

Some may say it's fortunate for Brechin if that's what happens, as having seen them a few times this season, I've never seen a club more certain to lose a play-off. Several unfit players in a squad of jobbers and makeweights. When Brechin lost a goal the heads just dropped.

Assuming the club can battle through a dark time of zero income then when playing resumes they'll have been put on notice, really. Hopefully they'll be more competitive again when that time comes.

9 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

They should just promote Brora and Kelty and leave Brechin where they are.

Some may say it's fortunate for Brechin if that's what happens, as having seen them a few times this season, I've never seen a club more certain to lose a play-off.

You obviously never saw Berwick last season!

57 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

There hasn’t been a decision made because there isn’t anyone competent enough to make it.

”Let’s just wait and see what everyone else does”

Well done to Brora anyway, probably the best team in the HL for the last few seasons.

No think Cove Rangers were.