2019-2020 Relegation Play Off

I see that Spartans, one of the clubs that "don't represent a community" are worth £5.2m to their local economy because of all the community work they do.
This is the same survey that says Ayr United contribute nearly £400,000 to improved mental health. My faith in the survey is a wee bit dented.

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

On a tangent, it would be interesting to see what the SPFL would do though if Brechin decided to mothball Glebe Park and instead ground-share with a club based south of the Tay.  If there's nothing stopping a club called BSC Glasgow playing their home games in Alloa, then why couldn't Brechin use e.g. East Fife's wonderful new 3G pitch?  You'd like to think there would be some form of clause to prevent such a sh*tstorm scenario, but with the amount of thought that went into the boundary location, it wouldn't surprise me at all if there wasn't. 

A change of registered ground would need SFA and SPFL approval.

Agree 100%.
Bit of a minter when we play in this and then the board want us to be considered as being a Lowland club rather than a Highland one:
1920%2520home%2520top-500x500.jpg&key=985f62698158897b3699505c725a84e860c4f4a550f46f3b4c1816aa9f957d28 
Eta:  For those not aware, Glencadam is the whisky distillery next door to Glebe Park.   A delicate, non-peated and balanced dram that makes for an ideal and somewhat different gift for any friend or family member.  [emoji6]

Not that you’re on commission or anything ;)

On 09/03/2020 at 22:16, HTG said:

All assuming we get to the end of the season. There must be question marks over whether we'll get that far given what's happening in Italy and the fact that there have been tentative questions over whether Cheltenham should go ahead this week. 

The gatherings at Cheltenham are on a slightly larger scale than a League 2 match.  It would be madness to call off all lower league football and it would probably kill many of the part time clubs off. They can't impose a blanket ban on all football matches without putting things in place to protect clubs from going to the wall, they won't do that because it's a hassle, so they'll let small clubs carry on.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

The gatherings at Cheltenham are on a slightly larger scale than a League 2 match.  It would be madness to call off all lower league football and it would probably kill many of the part time clubs off. They can't impose a blanket ban on all football matches without putting things in place to protect clubs from going to the wall, they won't do that because it's a hassle, so they'll let small clubs carry on.

What about Clyde?

3 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

No one knows how this will develop. A large scale shutdown is very likely in the next fortnight. I’m afraid small football clubs won’t be given special consideration.

I really hope that we can carry on with games, but if the decision to postpone/cancel games happens I think it will be for everyone. Otherwise you create a risk that more and more people would go seeking their football fix, ok your never going to have everyone that would have gone to the big games suddenly travel to lower league matches, but those that do will be coming from greater distances and more parts of the country. 

15 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

I’m afraid small football clubs won’t be given special consideration.

Sadly you are correct. Of course if UEFA actually gave a f**k about anybody other than the major clubs and nations, then they could think about postponing Euro 2020 to next summer, leaving this summer free - if the situation has settled down by then - for domestic leagues to finish this season rather than play behind closed doors. 

On 11/03/2020 at 11:05, The Moonster said:

It's not just about spectators. The minute a player is confirmed, the whole squad may go into quarantine. That might only last a few days but it could be a few days attached to each and every occasion. On the back of part time footballers going into quarantine, there needs to be consideration given to the people they in turn have interacted with in their day job. Employers are not going to be happy about the risk of multiple quarantines from Monday to Friday so boys can earn their wages on a Saturday. 

10 minutes ago, HTG said:

It's not just about spectators. The minute a player is confirmed, the whole squad may go into quarantine. That might only last a few days but it could be a few days attached to each and every occasion. On the back of part time footballers going into quarantine, there needs to be consideration given to the people they in turn have interacted with in their day job. Employers are not going to be happy about the risk of multiple quarantines from Monday to Friday so boys can earn their wages on a Saturday. 

Perhaps my brain isn't working, but this is reading like a complete word salad to me. 

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Perhaps my brain isn't working, but this is reading like a complete word salad to me. 

All I'm saying is that squads of players are now being quarantined. Arsenal v Man City cancelled because of quarantine. Real Madrid in quarantine. Just because players are part time and earning £200 a week or whatever doesn't mean they won't have an impact. If they're quarantined from a football team, logically they'd need to isolate in their day job. None of this is just about 300 spectators or 22 players in a squad - those 22 have all got a reach into society during the day. 

How does the league deal with different teams being quarantined at different times? Countries are going into lockdown - it's naive imo to think that the UK won't follow. At that point, who knows how or when you finish a season? 

15 minutes ago, HTG said:

All I'm saying is that squads of players are now being quarantined. Arsenal v Man City cancelled because of quarantine. Real Madrid in quarantine. Just because players are part time and earning £200 a week or whatever doesn't mean they won't have an impact. If they're quarantined from a football team, logically they'd need to isolate in their day job. None of this is just about 300 spectators or 22 players in a squad - those 22 have all got a reach into society during the day. 

How does the league deal with different teams being quarantined at different times? Countries are going into lockdown - it's naive imo to think that the UK won't follow. At that point, who knows how or when you finish a season? 

Okay, with you now, all fair points aye. 

On 09/03/2020 at 20:24, jamamafegan said:

I personally will not be shedding tears for Brechin or indeed any other League 2 club that gets relegated. The pyramid is glorious. No longer can teams languish in the bottom tier with the glass ceiling - they will find their level and allow a new order to emerge from the shadows. It is a truly exciting time for Scottish football.

As for Brechin wanting to go into the Lowland League, they should be told where to go - straight into the teuchtar league. And they should not complain about it. Away days to Speyside, if I was a Brechin fan I’d be relishing relegation tbh 🥃

It's a long time since Brechin lanquished in the bottom tier with the glass bottom, though.

Edited by Jacksgranda

On 10/03/2020 at 14:59, FairWeatherFan said:

Right now Montrose Roselea have established themselves as a decent North Region Super League team. That can extend as far as the Highland League does. The only real outliers being Wick, Brora, and Fort William. 

It's not impossible.

They might not have to travel to Brora, next season...

2 hours ago, HTG said:

Orange ball, sweep the lines and get on with it!

All these people squeaking about stopping work etc etc would be singing a different tune if all the TV stations, supermarkets, public transport etc closed down.

People cough and splutter every year; they should stay in the house which is no different to what should be happening now. The world needs to man up.