2019-2020 Relegation Play Off

13 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

I wonder where these "progressive ambitious clubs" will be in 10 or 20 years.

Will they be like "progressive" Gretna? Gone!

Will they be like "ambitious" East Kilbride? Mid-table lowland League.

Where will some of these clubs be when the novelty of the higher leagues wears out or the funding runs out?

Many will end up with very small supports even by League two standards.

Give it 20 years and we'll be desperate for these new deadwood clubs to be replaced by "ambitious, progressive clubs"

I'd choose a "deadwood" Brechin City (promoted to the championship within the last 4 years) over any glorified vanity project.

I tend to agree with most of this.  

Brechin have punched above their weight for the last 40 or so years according to many and have now possibly been the victim of complacency in thinking that they will never be in the position they  currently find themselves. 

It is not a good feeling but I think if we do survive this season it should be the kick up the backside we need to make sure it never happens again .  There are clubs with ambition ( false or genuine , who knows)  just waiting for their chance.  

A few clubs have realised how quickly complacency sets in  and have managed to make radical changes before it is too late . Others have sadly not .  I hope to god we don't become the latter. 

How exactly are these clubs any different to Elgin City, Peterhead and Annan Athletic that entered the SFL/SPFL? Are Edinburgh City and Cove Rangers included in this criticism?

Oh, and in 20 years people won't be desperate for deadwood clubs to be replaced. There will have been 20 years of a pyramid in place during that time so anyone that would be classed as that would drop out during that time.

The difference with these clubs ( Elgin, Annan & Peterhead) is they didn’t come into the league with a sugar daddy economy.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

How exactly are these clubs any different to Elgin City, Peterhead and Annan Athletic that entered the SFL/SPFL? Are Edinburgh City and Cove Rangers included in this criticism?

Oh, and in 20 years people won't be desperate for deadwood clubs to be replaced. There will have been 20 years of a pyramid in place during that time so anyone that would be classed as that would drop out during that time.

That's Clyde, a club that's just spent a decade in the bottom league of the SPFL, who were chased out of their own ground and who are now effectively tenants of Cumbernauld Colts. The club is the very definition of "deadwood" 

That's Clyde, a club that's just spent a decade in the bottom league of the SPFL, who were chased out of their own ground and who are now effectively tenants of Cumbernauld Colts. The club is the very definition of "deadwood" 

I think you mean Clyde. Recently promoted and main tenants of Broadwood.

I think you're making the point that any team can have a poor few years. It doesn't make them deadwood.

This description is wrongly given to any team finishing bottom of league two. Even those that have been promoted in the previous few years.

Clyde's attendances even over these shit years still out performed any of the ambitious glorified boys clubs.

Bottom line is relegation from league 2 is on the cards , bottom team just has to suck it up and get on with it as it’s still in their own hands , if they get beaten by whoever in playoff then they truly deserve to go down regardless of history or good days out at nostalgic grounds 

Mon progress 

#keltytodoaleipzieg 😂😂

Edited by Kelheart
Spelling

Given that Brechin have spent more than half of the last ten years out of the bottom division I'd hardly call them deadwood. Sure they've hit a bad couple of years but this could be anybody tbh. I certainly hope they survive as Glebe Park is one of the best trips in Scottish football, I'd hate to think I'd never see another match there.

More than half the last ten years out the bottom
Division?! This is the first time City have been in this league for 20 years.

Any reference to us being deadwood is nonsensical.

I wonder where these "progressive ambitious clubs" will be in 10 or 20 years.

Will they be like "progressive" Gretna? Gone!

Will they be like "ambitious" East Kilbride? Mid-table lowland League.

Where will some of these clubs be when the novelty of the higher leagues wears out or the funding runs out?

Many will end up with very small supports even by League two standards.

Give it 20 years and we'll be desperate for these new deadwood clubs to be replaced by "ambitious, progressive clubs"

I'd choose a "deadwood" Brechin City (promoted to the championship within the last 4 years) over any glorified vanity project.

^^^ birthday caird pish

What did Brechin do upon winning promotion to the Championship? Oh that’s right: they stunk the place out with a record low points total and no league wins whatsoever, as their tinpot, village social club board were only interested in the spread put on for them at Tannadice rather than putting a competitive team on the park. And so they’ve been punished with failure.

12 minutes ago, virginton said:

^^^ birthday caird pish

What did Brechin do upon winning promotion to the Championship? Oh that’s right: they stunk the place out with a record low points total and no league wins whatsoever, as their tinpot, village social club board were only interested in the spread put on for them at Tannadice rather than putting a competitive team on the park. And so they’ve been punished with failure.

At least we didn't concede 10...  TEN   in any of our games though troll boy. 

22 hours ago, notsofedupendie said:

Apologies for butting in but I stumbled across this thread and given the Mo’s history I thought I’d give you my thoughts .. for what they’re worth. Hate to say it but as things stand I doubt that Brechin would beat any of the teams they’re going to meet in the play offs. Can’t see them picking up enough points to avoid it. So, which team will go up? Bonnyrigg deservedly beat us in the cup .. but given we’d pretty much a reserve team out I wouldn’t read too much into that. On paper Kelty have a team that’s bottom half League 1. Brora .. no idea .. but the HL isn’t as good as some would have you believe ... and I very much doubt if Brora could maintain a team in the SPFL. So, if I was to put money on it .. it would be Kelty in League 2 next year.

HL maybe not as good as some would have you believe, but Brora are...

4 hours ago, Kelheart said:

Bottom line is relegation from league 2 is on the cards , bottom team just has to suck it up and get on with it as it’s still in their own hands , if they get beaten by whoever in playoff then they truly deserve to go down regardless of history or good days out at nostalgic grounds 

Mon progress 

#keltytodoaleipzieg 😂😂

Red Bull Kelty. Or, would it be Maroon Bull Kelty? Or, Irn Bru Kelty. 

Sure BSC are really Buckfast Sports Club.

5 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

At least we didn't concede 10...  TEN   in any of our games though troll boy. 

So Brechin managed to accumulate fewer points in an entire season than Morton conceded goals in one half of one game.

Edited by Gordon EF

Reports of Brechin's demise are greatly exaggerated based on last night's performance. I thought that they were stacks better than at the start of the season. Any thoughts that Kelty or whoever will roll over the top of them are a bit premature.

Brechin's a great wee place to go, as was Berwick. They do represent their community, something all too often dismissed. I'm unashamedly auld fashioned, but I personally feel that this is important in football if you regard football as being part of your country's culture.

I hope Brechin, and they have too many points to make up for anything different to happen, stay up.

48 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Reports of Brechin's demise are greatly exaggerated based on last night's performance. I thought that they were stacks better than at the start of the season. Any thoughts that Kelty or whoever will roll over the top of them are a bit premature.

Brechin's a great wee place to go, as was Berwick. They do represent their community, something all too often dismissed. I'm unashamedly auld fashioned, but I personally feel that this is important in football if you regard football as being part of your country's culture.

I hope Brechin, and they have too many points to make up for anything different to happen, stay up.

According to one tabloid reporter , Brechin were absolutely battered by Queens Park last night :lol:............ It appears that wasn't the case then. 

2 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Brechin's a great wee place to go, as was Berwick. They do represent their community, something all too often dismissed.

How? They've got no youth system (according to one poster on here) and are bleating about not wanting to go in the HL because all their players travel up from the Central Belt. In what ways do they represent their community in a way that Brora or Kelty or EKFC or Buckie don't? Is Brechin any better a place to go than other towns in the HL and LL?