2019-2020 Relegation Play Off

With the pretty amazing form of Kelty/Bonnyrigg and Brora (who rumour has it are pretty serious about going for it this year i.e. best players won't be away on stag parties!) it's very clear that whoever comes 10th this year will be in real danger of relegation and although Brechin are in a desperate position, their point yesterday may be a sign of things to come (and I find it hard to believe any team could be relegated three successive seasons - surely that would be some kind of record?) so will be interesting if they can apply pressure to Albion and/or Stenhousemuir, I think everyone else is safe...

any of the three aforementioned will be tough nut in L2 next year so whoever gets a promotion play-off this season will be desperate to wave L2 goodbye!!

in closing Cove home form 13 wins from 13 games, 34 goals vs 5 conceded is top notch and it's not cause they are more used to the wind and cold than the opponents!!

59 minutes ago, marello said:

in closing Cove home form 13 wins from 13 games, 34 goals vs 5 conceded is top notch and it's not cause they are more used to the wind and cold than the opponents!!

You're right! It's probably more to do with the ridiculous amount of money that they have spent on a full time manager and players.

I have a feeling that whoever finishes in 10th place this season will retain their place in the playoffs. I do hope so. Kelty would be an absolute disaster with that ragbag of a manager and Brora would be inconvenient to say the least. If anyone had to progress I would take Bonnyrigg. I would like to think that we could miss them by winning the playoffs to go up.

1 hour ago, marello said:

With the pretty amazing form of Kelty/Bonnyrigg and Brora (who rumour has it are pretty serious about going for it this year i.e. best players won't be away on stag parties!) it's very clear that whoever comes 10th this year will be in real danger of relegation and although Brechin are in a desperate position, their point yesterday may be a sign of things to come (and I find it hard to believe any team could be relegated three successive seasons - surely that would be some kind of record?) so will be interesting if they can apply pressure to Albion and/or Stenhousemuir, I think everyone else is safe...

any of the three aforementioned will be tough nut in L2 next year so whoever gets a promotion play-off this season will be desperate to wave L2 goodbye!!

Those are three strong sides as you rightly say. I’ve only seen Brora live (quite a few times) out of them and they have some talented players. Brora are an attacking side with good wingers, pace in midfield and a couple of strikers who are used to banging in the goals. They would be dangerous to play against if they beat the LL champions.

Brechin will take confidence from Saturday I’m sure and I’m hoping they can get on a winning streak and put pressure on 9th place. I’ll go along and see/support them against QP on Wednesday. A tough task it will be but winnable.

2 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

I have a feeling that whoever finishes in 10th place this season will retain their place in the playoffs. I do hope so. Kelty would be an absolute disaster with that ragbag of a manager and Brora would be inconvenient to say the least. If anyone had to progress I would take Bonnyrigg. I would like to think that we could miss them by winning the playoffs to go up.

This makes me really hope Brora go up, and Queens Park don't.

Edited by welshbairn

Brechin will go down regardless of who they play. It can't be underestimated how bad they are. I think even an average Lowland League side like East Kilbride or BSC Glasgow would have them over two legs nevermind Kelty/Bonnyrigg or Brora.

Brechin mewling to the SPFL and SFA to move the boundary between the LL and HL to ensure that BRECHIN are relegated to the Lowland league is reason enough to hope they vanish into the Highland League never to return.

Don't care who replaces them, just bin them and lets get progressive ambitious clubs into the SPFL to replace the deadwood. Hopefully the likes of perennial bottom league club Stirling and Albion Rovers will be next.

Edited by Junior Pub League

Who ever finishes 10th get get hammered by their opponents. I say this one because it'll be Brechin, whose fitness is barely above pub team level and two, because it'll be against Kelty who are mid table League One level.

Do I want so some no mark nouveau riche gang from Fife promoted? No. Do I want Brechin, a gang from the back of beyond relegated? Yes.

A real catch 22.

Brechin mewling to the SPFL and SFA to move the boundary between the LL and HL to ensure that BRECHIN are relegated to the Lowland league is reason enough to hope they vanish into the Highland League never to return.

Do you not think it’s a reasonable ask? Pretty sure any other Angus club would be of the same opinion.

2 hours ago, gogsy said:

Bit unfair on BSC there Neilly, they are clearly as good as Bonnyrigg and Kelty. (Notwithstanding their unexpected defeat on Saturday)

Well they aren't really are they? 14 and 17 points behind those respectively and even if they were to win their games in hand are not going to lay a glove on either.

I am familiar with the BSC squad as a good few have played with us and most of them are probably lower end league two players at best at this stage of their careers. Kelty, for instance, have at least four or five players who would get in any team from league one down and even some championship (Reid, Tidser, Easton, Reilly, Austin) mixed with good blend of youth and experience.

Edited by Neilly

4 hours ago, gm_1982 said:

Do you not think it’s a reasonable ask? Pretty sure any other Angus club would be of the same opinion.

No not really. Highland League clubs (Wick aside) are mostly much closer than their LL opponents. Also the HL should be easier to get out of than a LL that will probably have Bo'ness, EK, Kelty, Clydebank and Bonnyrigg in the next few seasons. 

Travel times from Brechin (by car):

Spoiler

Highland League: (assuming Brora come up)
  • Inverurie - 1hr 5mins
  • Formartine United - 1hr 6
  • Turriff United - 1hr 26
  • Huntly - 1hr 29
  • Fraserburgh - 1 hr 36
  • Keith - 1hr 40
  • Deveronvale - 1hr 42
  • Buckie Thistle - 1hr 59
  • Rothes - 2hr
  • Strathspey Thistle - 2hr 7mins
  • Lossiemouth - 2hr 9
  • Forres Mechanics - 2hr 23
  • Nairn County - 2hr 38
  • Clachnacuddin - 2hr 49
  • Fort William - 2hr 53
  • Wick Academy - 4hr 48 mins

Lowland League

• Kelty Hearts - 1hr 15mins
  • BSC Glasgow @ Indodrill  - 1hr 32 (@ Lesser Hampden 2hr 3mins)
  • Stirling Uni - 1hr 35
  • Civil Service Strollers - 1hr 36
  • Spartans - 1hr 37
  • Bo'ness - 1hr 39
  • East Stirlingshire - 1hr 41
  • Cumbernauld Colts - 1hr 45
  • Bonnyrigg Rose - 1hr 49
  • Caley Braves - 1hr 57
  • East Kilbride - 2hr 6mins
  • Gala Fairydean - 2hr 29
  • Berwick Rangers - 2hr 44
  • Gretna - 3hr 13mins
  • Dalbeattie Star - 3hr 27

Edited by ArabAuslander

10 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Who ever finishes 10th get get hammered by their opponents. I say this one because it'll be Brechin, whose fitness is barely above pub team level and two, because it'll be against Kelty who are mid table League One level.

Do I want so some no mark nouveau riche gang from Fife promoted? No. Do I want Brechin, a gang from the back of beyond relegated? Yes.

A real catch 22.

I think you are being very kind to Kelty. They couldn't beat Annan in the cup and were comfortably beaten by Auchinleck in the cup. Just because they pump some dross at the lower end of the Lowland League doesn't make them League 1 standard. The real test for them this season is still to come when they play both BSC and Bonnyrigg home and away. If they stroll these games, then maybe your point would be more believable.

As much as Brechin were a major irritation to Ayr whenever we were in League One together, it would be remarkable and a bit sad to see them disappear from the senior game. Seemed like they had something sustainable in place right up until they got promoted to the Championship. Hope they dig their way out of this hole.

Just now, Iain said:

As much as Brechin were a major irritation to Ayr whenever we were in League One together, it would be remarkable and a bit sad to see them disappear from the senior game. Seemed like they had something sustainable in place right up until they got promoted to the Championship. Hope they dig their way out of this hole.

The only way Brechin will "disappear from the senior game" is if they go out of business. Even if they're relegated, they'll still be senior.