Brechin City v QP

I'd go as far as to call this our biggest game of the season, so far. The changes around the club, the pace at which they've occurred, and the great run to take us into 4th could not have been foreseen a couple of months ago. 

Now that we're in a good position, we have a real chance to put the squeeze on those below us. Yes, they'd have games in hand but points on the board for us would put real pressure on them. 

Brechin had a great point at Ainslie Park, so nobody should be expecting anything other than a tough encounter. We won well at Glebe Park earlier in the season, but if someone offered me an ugly win I'd be shaking their hand and accepting it. They're fighting for their lives and desperately need results, so I expect a battle. 

*edit- Just seen Stirling play on Tuesday. Game in hand patter still applies to Elgin. 

Edited by an86

Brechin pulled of an escape from relegation a few  seasons ago, looking doomed and being well adrift at the bottom of league one. In the last few months the just kept on picking up points home and away. So who knows there's enough games left. Perhaps a BC poster can recall how that unfolded, they called it the great escape as I recall.

Brechin pulled of an escape from relegation a few  seasons ago, looking doomed and being well adrift at the bottom of league one. In the last few months the just kept on picking up points home and away. So who knows there's enough games left. Perhaps a BC poster can recall how that unfolded, they called it the great escape as I recall.

It was probably up there with some of my favourite moments as a Brechin fan.

Darren Dods had just taken over as manager and was given about a fortnight to assemble a squad after Ray McKinnon had left for Raith. Our season started as horribly and as predicted we found ourselves bottom of the league. We were looking doomed but we galvanised. It all started with a 4-0 home win against Forfar and it sent us on a run like we had not seen before. We won 8 of our last 10 games (the games we lost were against a rampant Dunfermline and away at Cowden, but we could well have won that).

It just seemed like at that time we were not going down, we fought for everything and the fans got right behind it.

The season culminated with us beating an already relegated Forfar, and we all enjoyed singing along with Wagner.

Hopefully we can pull off similar again!

Whilst I do hope Brechin stay up I wish them to start their great revival on Saturday. In honesty we have had two comfortable wins already this season and we rarely take maximum points against any team so I feel this will be a tighter game. Brechin have bolstered their defence but I don't see much venom in their attack. I will take any win but feel we may just have too much in our locker. 2-0 to Queens.

2 hours ago, Shoogs73 said:

Interested to see team selection for this one, possible change to 2 up top, will Finnie return?Slater start in place of King?

3 pts a must 

Reckon Bell will come in. Wullie was always vulnerable for replacement in the event of a mistake. Hoping Maclean is fit and Slater starts. They are the two who I think can do real damage. I'm a big Joffrey fan and would have him in the starting XI as well. 

McKinnon didn't seem overly annoyed by the performance, so I'm not sure of how much he'll change in terms of the system. 

Re Brechin's great escape in div 1. It was largely due to signing Lewis Spence on loan from the pars, he was a stand out. They escaped while we went down. I was later staggered to find we were offered Spence but Nish  turned it down saying we had plenty of midfielders we certainly did, unfortunately they were all crap

1 hour ago, Sir Richard said:

Grounds like concrete this morning.

Sun is out , thawing nicely . Hopefully the sparse areas have been covered .

Edit.  The local Lawn Treatment guys are out spiking lawns this morning so it can't be that "concrete " .   ;)

Edited by theoriginalhedge

Well done to QP fans heading up for this I hope you're rewarded with a good display from the boys and three points. I'd like to have been there but it's just not practical, not in midweek. Ray will probably make changes over this game and Saturday. I'm sure he'll know how to utilize what is a strong squad.

I quite enjoy midweek fixtures because they're so rare. We'll all need to become accustom to the Europe midweek games in a few years anyway.

A cold Wednesday night at Cowdenbeath sounds grim but standing in the shadow of the famous hedge shouting nonsense that the players most likely can't hear sounds delightful. 

My eyes on third place ;) Good Luck Queen's! 

Edited by QPSpider1867