Motherwell vs St Mirren 25/2

7 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Waters has improved immensely since the winter break and is part of the reason that Ilkay is now showing what he is capable of as he now has support and far more of the ball.

Not seeing it. Not even a wee bit.

Ilkay absolutely carried Waters through that first half yesterday.

3 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Strange thing is some of our fans really don't like Obika. Several that sit around me say he's "never a footballer" and are desperate for Mullen to play over him. 

It is fair to say he's had his share of poor games (against Aberdeen at home and against Hibs away stand out) where he probably deserved to get hooked for a fresh option, but his goal scoring return isn't bad. 

It's truly bizarre. The same folk used to say similar things about Higdon as well.

Sometimes I think folk prefer a headless chicken who works and tries but doesn't actually do anything. The thing is, Obika is an absolute workhorse into the bargain, comes deep, runs the channels and generally makes a nuisance of himself. Not everything comes off for him, especially in the air but if everything did come off, he'd certainly not be with us.

Easily our best centre forward since Thompson. No-one else even comes close.

19 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

It's truly bizarre. The same folk used to say similar things about Higdon as well.

Sometimes I think folk prefer a headless chicken who works and tries but doesn't actually do anything. The thing is, Obika is an absolute workhorse into the bargain, comes deep, runs the channels and generally makes a nuisance of himself. Not everything comes off for him, especially in the air but if everything did come off, he'd certainly not be with us.

Easily our best centre forward since Thompson. No-one else even comes close.

To be fair, he's not got great competition for that accolade.

2 hours ago, Fony Titz said:

I thought he was good last night.

He improved the 2nd half but he couldn't have done anything but improve on the first.

The first half, he went in high, late and hard early on and got correctly booked for it and after that, he was terrified to go near Aarons.

Aside from this, he constantly backs off of the man he is marking and more often than not, let's them get into the box and I'm never confident of seeing him win a one-on-one with an attacker. He loses too many aerial battles because of his height, his distribution is wasteful at best and he doesn't offer an attacking threat.

Probably very harsh but the left-back area has been a glaring problem part of the pitch since the start of the season. He's just not good enough for my liking.

In fairness and to prove I'm not singling out one easy target, I'm a big fan of Famewo but he too had an absolute shocker of a first half. He got caught with the ball over the top 4 times in the first 20 minutes and the 4th one led to the penalty. He was also constantly putting Hladky in trouble with rotten passes back to him and was weak at a few corners, at least one of which Motherwell should have scored but for a cracking double stop from Hladky.

Obika had a tough shift up front on his own for weeks on end. Some games he was good, others he struggled to get involved which wasn't really his fault.

He's got 11 for the season, 7 in the league. I think 12 would be as good a return as a bottom 6 team is likely to get. Even 10 would be reasonable.

Jakubiak looks alright too. Chabbi might not get a look in.