Motherwell vs St Mirren 25/2

31 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I don’t want to see St Mirren for a long time. We’re officially pish again. There’s been so many games this season that we barely create a chance in the second half.

Delighted. We used to have a wee bit of a hoodoo over Motherwell and then we'd barely turned up against you for several games. 

Regardless of Well's form, we've played the 3rd side in the league 3 times in 2 weeks and came away with 2 wins and a draw (technically a win and two draws, but a penalties win is still a win). This was a hard, hard set of fixtures for us against a side that absolutely schooled us at both Fir Park and St. Mirren Park earlier in the season, so yeah, delighted with those three points that might be very telling in a couple of months from now.

We need to build on this now. 3 of our next 4 in the league are St. Johnstone and Hearts at home and Killie away. We need to carry on putting points on the board.

17 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

That Durmus finish! ❤️

He's just growing on me week after week. Every passing game he looks more and more likely to be able to pull a wee bit of magic out the hat. 

Indeed, he’s always looked good in flashes, but those spells are getting longer, and the end product is there too.

With Obika finding the way to goal too; and a supporting midfield cast that is contributing both in attack and defence; we’re looking a much better team than before the break.

My main worry is just how light our coverage in defence is.

Would seem to be Foley and MacPherson playing out of position is our backup; and we don’t want to lose either of those from their midfield roles.

We were diabolical first half with Hodson being poor - 20 throw ins from the halfway line back to McCarthy under pressure who has to pass back to Vaclav. But fair do's Goody must have given him a rocket at half-time and told him which direction we were hitting as he faced the correct way second half and made the first goal. And Ilkay - what a wonderful man.

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Watching Callum Waters trying to play football makes me want to hoover my eyeballs out and eat them. 

He's fucking garbage. 

Under my previous guise I did suggest at the start of the season that signing a second choice left back from Kilmarnock may not have been a great choice.

12 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

That Durmus finish! ❤️

He's just growing on me week after week. Every passing game he looks more and more likely to be able to pull a wee bit of magic out the hat. 

have to agree, and it wasn't just his attacking yesterday, when Waters got booked early doors Durmus was back helping him more often than not and making the 1st tackle to protect Waters, great performance from him and rounded off with a goal . Felt it go in in slow motion , took an eternity to drop and for him to hit it.

It feels now that we can score every match and he is a big part of that

Biggest concern for me was the quality of our set piece delivery last night, so poor, we must have failed to beat the 1st man nearly double digits, wheras Motherwell were sending in quality ball after quality ball into the box.

Edited by dylan_leggatt

I actually thought Gillespie should have had the winner, was a decent strike but from behind the goal it looked pretty central and he got a full hand to it.

Both goals though were terrible from a defensive point of view. Saints are the lowest scores in the league and they've put 6 past us in 2 games at Fir Park this week. Meanwhile if it hadn't been for the penalty, I reckon we could have played all night and not scored despite how 'dominant' we were 1st half. We were into double figures for corners before half time and did absolutely nothing with any of them.

Fair play to Saints, they've fair owned us this past week. Were we not supposed to have had Obika on trial during the summer as well btw and sent him packing? Looks exactly like the kind of centre forward we could do with. Done more damage and scored more goals in 2 games at Fir Park this week than some of our forwards have done all season.

No harm to either of them, but us bringing on MacIver and Seedorf last night was pretty desperate stuff and didn't exactly fill me with any great confidence that we were going to go on and win the game.  Cracking to see Turnbull back though, the highlight of an otherwise dreadful 2nd half.

Edited by Casagolda

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

I actually thought Gillespie should have had the winner, was a decent strike but from behind the goal it looked pretty central and he got a full hand to it.

Both goals though were terrible from a defensive point of view. Saints are the lowest scores in the league and they've put 6 past us in 2 games at Fir Park this week. Meanwhile if it hadn't been for the penalty, I reckon we could have played all night and not scored despite how 'dominant' we were 1st half. We were into double figures for corners before half time and did absolutely nothing with any of them.

Fair play to Saints, they've fair owned us this past week. Were we not supposed to have had Obika on trial during the summer as well btw and sent him packing? Looks exactly like the kind of centre forward we could do with. Done more damage and scored more goals in 2 games at Fir Park this week than some of our forwards have done all season.

No harm to either of them, but us bringing on MacIver and Seedorf last night was pretty desperate stuff and didn't exactly fill me with any great confidence that we were going to go on and win the game.  Cracking to see Turnbull back though, the highlight of an otherwise dreadful 2nd half.

MacIver wins a huge number of headers tbf. If he could get a bit of direction on them and have folk knowing that he could be useful.

Seedorf's hopeless, though. 

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

Were we not supposed to have had Obika on trial during the summer as well btw and sent him packing? Looks exactly like the kind of centre forward we could do with. Done more damage and scored more goals in 2 games at Fir Park this week than some of our forwards have done all season.

Strange thing is some of our fans really don't like Obika. Several that sit around me say he's "never a footballer" and are desperate for Mullen to play over him. 

It is fair to say he's had his share of poor games (against Aberdeen at home and against Hibs away stand out) where he probably deserved to get hooked for a fresh option, but his goal scoring return isn't bad. 

18 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Strange thing is some of our fans really don't like Obika. Several that sit around me say he's "never a footballer" and are desperate for Mullen to play over him. 

It is fair to say he's had his share of poor games (against Aberdeen at home and against Hibs away stand out) where he probably deserved to get hooked for a fresh option, but his goal scoring return isn't bad. 

I really like Obika. He's a reactive penalty box striker, which we've not had in years. I think he gets a hard time because, like most of these types of players, he tends to miss a fair few chances, which is difficult in a team that is near the bottom of the league and who don't create that many, but he still has an ability to be in the right place, and 11 goals at this stage of the season is the best return we've had from a striker for ages, probably even better than Thommo.

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Were we not supposed to have had Obika on trial during the summer as well btw and sent him packing? Looks exactly like the kind of centre forward we could do with. Done more damage and scored more goals in 2 games at Fir Park this week than some of our forwards have done all season.

Pretty sure it was him folk seemed to think was Benteke (not that one, the other one).

774C99F3-1A60-4D46-958B-7E0158C3051B.png