St Mirren v Aberdeen

Frank Grimes

f**k it, it's the cup. We won. That's what we needed. 

We'd have been out of sight in the first half if the homer ref hadn't bailed out mcpherson when mcginn was clean through and if he'd dealt with the two serious assaults on fergusson in our box. 

We didn't need to get out of first gear. It would be nice to know if we could if we need to though. 

Hope st mirren stay up but Goodwin's interview, if sincere, is a worry. 

I thought Aberdeen were chronic!

Absolutely abysmal to watch (especially since it was what we set out to do) :(

I don't mind being a bit stuffy, but Jesus H Christ that was eye-bleeding stuff!  (Apart from the offside goal that was a worldie)! :)

Still... You've gotta larf and Hampden here we come!

Yours

aDONis

Edited by aDONisSheep

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

f**k it, it's the cup. We won. That's what we needed. 

We'd have been out of sight in the first half if the homer ref hadn't bailed out mcpherson when mcginn was clean through and if he'd dealt with the two serious assaults on fergusson in our box. 

We didn't need to get out of first gear. It would be nice to know if we could if we need to though. 

Hope st mirren stay up but Goodwin's interview, if sincere, is a worry. 

‘Out of sight’

‘Homer ref’

’Serious assaults’

Have a greeny. Cheered me up after a tough night watching my team huff and puff, but resolutely fail in their efforts to blow your house down.

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

We didn't need Jakubiak, Obika and Durmus to have off-nights tonight, but they were all very poor. 

McAllister pulled all the strings when he came on and was the game's best player in the second half. Sadly, those strings he was pulling weren't really attached to anything.

We really are worryingly uncreative pretty much all the time, though Aberdeen controlled/stifled us superbly. 

Ah well. At least now we can concentrate on creating no chances in the league instead.

St Mirren problem was simple. They cannot play Motherwell in every round otherwise the cup would be theirs. 
In many ways it is shame to see we went out of the cup to that side. 
Still the Cup these days seems to be a Q of who will lose to Celtic in the final.....

21 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

‘Out of sight’

‘Homer ref’

’Serious assaults’

Have a greeny. Cheered me up after a tough night watching my team huff and puff, but resolutely fail in their efforts to blow your house down.

Why can't you just bite goddammit. 

Seriously though, i hope that Goodwin's interview was for the sake of man management and not an honest assessment. 

Just home from the match. Absolutely delighted to be in yet another semi final. I love these days out at Hampden, it’s the anticipation for me. Quite a frustrating watch tonight, as I felt that we could have gone for the jugular against that Saints team. We’re a better team to watch when we’re chasing a game, but I’d always take having a lead and seeing the match out, than losing it.

Really disappointed with the gang of (really) young Saints fans waiting outside the ground to jump on a few young Dons fans coming out of the gates. The police shut the gate between the North and West stands, so they could at least have guaranteed the Dons fans safety when coming out of the gate.  I do like the ground, though. 

We somehow got this on at the Tap In bar in Brno with what must be the Czech Republic's only St Mirren fan. A chronic watch. McGinn should have been clear rather than a dubious foul called and then we're out of sight. Thought going forward we were atrocious but resolutely defended against St Mirren with the few chances they had. Not a classic, but in the hat nonetheless. Taylor seemed to have quite a good game.

That was definitely the best I've seen from Kennedy in an Aberdeen shirt to date; I thought he was the most impressive player on the pitch - pretty much anything remotely creative looked likely to come from him. Main did a decent job of leading the line. Ferguson's goal was the one bit of real class in the game - excellent technique, and something I wasn't sure he had in his locker. Ojo did some good things and some not so good things, but I think we look like a better team with him at the moment than without him. 

The defence mostly did a good job of limiting St Mirren. Taylor has been consistently good when he has played this season, which has been a pleasant surprise as I'll happily admit that I was dead against the signing. McKenna has been a bit inconsistent this season, but can only hope the injury isn't as bad as first feared. 

4 hours ago, DrewDon said:

That was definitely the best I've seen from Kennedy in an Aberdeen shirt to date; I thought he was the most impressive player on the pitch - pretty much anything remotely creative looked likely to come from him. Main did a decent job of leading the line. Ferguson's goal was the one bit of real class in the game - excellent technique, and something I wasn't sure he had in his locker. Ojo did some good things and some not so good things, but I think we look like a better team with him at the moment than without him. 

The defence mostly did a good job of limiting St Mirren. Taylor has been consistently good when he has played this season, which has been a pleasant surprise as I'll happily admit that I was dead against the signing. McKenna has been a bit inconsistent this season, but can only hope the injury isn't as bad as first feared. 

McGinn as well as some belters, into the box

Well done Aberdeen, it was a McInnes master class in getting the job done. Wasn't a classic but you have a trip to Hampden to look forward to.

Aberdeen defended well although I thought we made it easy for them with our lack of quality in the final third.

Both teams were poor (apart from the Don's defending) and Lewis was a safe pair of hands in goal.

The only bit of quality won the game early on, some goal by Ferguson but MacPherson should never have let him run off him and I'd question our Czech walls positioning but it was right in the top corner so I can't argue with the actual finish.

Lots of Saints fans accusing the players of bottling it on twitter. I disagree. We tried to play through them, around them and direct. Nothing was coming off for us.

Opportunity missed but we can focus on the league now. Good luck Dandies.

10 hours ago, aDONisSheep said:

I thought Aberdeen were chronic!

Absolutely abysmal to watch (especially since it was what we set out to do) :(

I don't mind being a bit stuffy, but Jesus H Christ that was eye-bleeding stuff!  (Apart from the offside goal that was a worldie)! :)

Still... You've gotta larf and Hampden here we come!

This.

Happy we are through but it was a hard watch. I am really not enjoying watching us just now.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Tbh were into March so I’ve accepted that we’re just not a great team at all.

It’s all about winning until may.

It's frustrating. We could be a great team.in relative terms but the managers set up is too rigid. Derek needs to find a bit of confidence.

Campbell is really coming on to a game. There was a couple of moments where he was under real pressure yesterday. Kept a cool head and passed his way out.  Although there was a moment where he thought about stopping a free kick being taken again...

We could have played all night and not scored, not a performance that we haven’t seen before though.

I don’t want to be too critical, but Goodwins post match interview annoyed me. We can’t seem to get the balance between being solid and having an attacking threat, it’s one or the other, or neither.

I love Goodwin but I do think he does get it wrong quite a lot, but I think he’s intelligent enough to learn quickly from his mistakes - so I’m hoping that interview was just to keep the players heads up and not genuinely believing it

Just read Goodwins interview, that's embarrassing. Proper Jackie McNamara-esque bluster about "playing the right way".

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just read Goodwins interview, that's embarrassing. Proper Jackie McNamara-esque bluster about "playing the right way".

I was surprised there wasn't more discussion about it on this thread (I could have just skimmed past it admittedly). I was more shocked at McInnes just accepting it though. he usually loves a wee nibble.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The game reminded me of your win up here. Really good early goal then force the home team to play in the areas where they can't create much despite seeing a lot of the ball. Much like that night at Pittodrie the home team could have played for a few days without scoring.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I was surprised there wasn't more discussion about it on this thread (I could have just skimmed past it admittedly). I was more shocked at McInnes just accepting it though. he usually loves a wee nibble.

No point nibbling when you've won.