St Mirren v Aberdeen

Frank Grimes

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Hopefully St Johnstone win tomorrow. Even if just to see another teams name on the trophy.

Worth mentioning that Rangers being knocked out tonight means there can be no new name on the trophy this season.

All the other Quarter Finalists (Aberdeen, Celtic, Hearts, Hibernian, ICT, St Mirren, St Johnstone) have won the trophy before.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Worth mentioning that Rangers being knocked out tonight means there can be no new name on the trophy this season.

All the other Quarter Finalists (Aberdeen, Celtic, Hearts, Hibernian, ICT, St Mirren, St Johnstone) have won the trophy before.

Ffs min. Even when I'm supporting your team you're a pedantic bam.

I don't want to see Celtic win it for a fourth time. Hope that's better for you.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

I don't want to see Celtic win it for a fourth time. Hope that's better for you.

I just wanted to have a dig at Sevco, tbh.

45 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

If only it was for only the fourth time.

From another pedantic bam.

1 minute ago, BawWatchin said:

That game was absolutely brutal. St Mirren were probably the only side Aberdeen could have beaten on that performance tonight. A sneaky wee win for St Johnstone tomorrow and the cup is in the bag.

Behave. We probably would have narrowly beaten Accies with it too.

Got what we deserved - nothing. Started sluggish, backed off and backed off the Dons scorer. Then Aberdeen pretty much sat with eleven men behind the ball, saying ‘come on to us then - break us down, if you can’. We couldn’t. Not enough guile, no cutting edge, never made the keeper work - despite us having tons of the ball, and improving in the second half. Aberdeen did a job on us. No complaints, we tried hard enough, but it was all huffing and puffing from us. Beaten fair and square.

Best of luck to Aberdeen in the semi. 

Got what we deserved - nothing. Started sluggish, backed off and backed off the Dons scorer. Then Aberdeen pretty much sat with eleven men behind the ball, saying ‘come on to us then - break us down, if you can’. We couldn’t. Not enough guile, no cutting edge, never made the keeper work - despite us having tons of the ball, and improving in the second half. Aberdeen did a job on us. No complaints, we tried hard enough, but it was all huffing and puffing from us. Beaten fair and square.
Best of luck to Aberdeen in the semi. 

That’s basically how I saw it. We had no interest in style or substance. Just get through.

As soon as we got a lead we basically said come and have a go if you want. Not pretty but I’ll take it.

Happy enough with that.  Would be churlish to want a slick performance as well as the victory, especially given the weather and some our recent play.

Looked like the St Mirren players had instructions on how to deal with Kennedy,  so I had hoped that our midfielders would have taken more advantage of the space being left by them doubling up on him. 

We didn't need Jakubiak, Obika and Durmus to have off-nights tonight, but they were all very poor. 

McAllister pulled all the strings when he came on and was the game's best player in the second half. Sadly, those strings he was pulling weren't really attached to anything.

We really are worryingly uncreative pretty much all the time, though Aberdeen controlled/stifled us superbly. 

Ah well. At least now we can concentrate on creating no chances in the league instead.

I haven’t heard Jim’s post-game comments, but I would hope if he said he thought we were the better team, he meant that we were the team mostly on the front foot - which we were. However, that was down to Aberdeen allowing us posession. They played it that way deliberately. Unfortunately, being on the front foot is all fine and dandy Jim - if you look like doing something at the end of all your sideways and backwards passing.

Ach, fcuk it. Life goes on.

Edited by pozbaird

Best team won. Aberdeen scored a decent goal and then were happy to sit in and counter. Saints never really worried them and any pointfespite most of the possession. We should have pushed McCarthy up top the last 10 and went for it but shat the bed instead and gifted a 2nd goal anyway. Saints need to be more cavalier to progress. Our first thought is to turn back and keep possession. Need to show some balls

Guest Bob Mahelp

Credit to the Buddies on here for acknowledging that Aberdeen did a thoroughly professional job tonight.

Hit hard in the first 10 minutes, then allow St Mirren to knock themselves out on 2 banks of midfielders and defenders. There were lots of good performances in red shirts, but the credit goes to the midfield who effectively bossed the game and gave our defence a pretty easy night.

Ojo, Campbell and Ferguson were all excellent, and Kennedy had his best game so far....every willing to get the ball and take on the full back. 

It wasn't scintillating, but it was an organised, hard as nails performance. Can't ask for much more than that.