Jump to content
diamondman

Montrose V The Diamonds, 29 Feb 2020

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

Scott Gallagher is fucking pish the worse goalie probably Airdrie have had,Butter fingers

TBF he pulled off a brilliant save of Rusty McLean’s shot. I thought he did fine, apart from the fekk up with conceding the penalty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just back to a wet NL from a cold but dry Montrose. Montrose edged it largely due to being sure of their passing, and a very good performance from the big No 10.  He gave our CBs a hard shift whereas Dillon and the other Montrose CB simply stopped any dangerous moves, of which we had few. I was baffled at Thomson being in that position at the start , and without blaming him in any way, it shows how much Murray complicates our tactics. Our two top goal-scorers were on the bench so we play a guy with one goal, to support Ryan. Ryan did have some half chances but it never came off.  We had most of the first half hour until Montrose began to get some good moves down the right. No one looked like scoring until Scott Gallagher blundered as he had at Peterhead with a high ball. This time he made it worse by grabbing the player and it was a stonewaller . He did make a good save later but was very lucky not to concede a second in a similar incident in the 2nd half. He was the reason we lost that goal but the reason we lost the game was down to the bizarre formations and subs by Professor Murray.  Ally Roy up front yet again/the ineffective McKay in the middle/ Nat back on the 18 yd line/ -a 3-5-2 which took us nowhere , and to top it off lets stick Sean up for all the high balls. Montrose did what was expected to defend  and one wild shot from McDonald ended a miserable day. Given what happened elsewhere this was a good chance chucked away. I found the diversion to the away end no bother and the pie was quite good ( Peterhead was better)  Final quarter should be very interesting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Just back to a wet NL from a cold but dry Montrose. Montrose edged it largely due to being sure of their passing, and a very good performance from the big No 10.  He gave our CBs a hard shift whereas Dillon and the other Montrose CB simply stopped any dangerous moves, of which we had few. I was baffled at Thomson being in that position at the start , and without blaming him in any way, it shows how much Murray complicates our tactics. Our two top goal-scorers were on the bench so we play a guy with one goal, to support Ryan. Ryan did have some half chances but it never came off.  We had most of the first half hour until Montrose began to get some good moves down the right. No one looked like scoring until Scott Gallagher blundered as he had at Peterhead with a high ball. This time he made it worse by grabbing the player and it was a stonewaller . He did make a good save later but was very lucky not to concede a second in a similar incident in the 2nd half. He was the reason we lost that goal but the reason we lost the game was down to the bizarre formations and subs by Professor Murray.  Ally Roy up front yet again/the ineffective McKay in the middle/ Nat back on the 18 yd line/ -a 3-5-2 which took us nowhere , and to top it off lets stick Sean up for all the high balls. Montrose did what was expected to defend  and one wild shot from McDonald ended a miserable day. Given what happened elsewhere this was a good chance chucked away. I found the diversion to the away end no bother and the pie was quite good ( Peterhead was better)  Final quarter should be very interesting!

Didn't make it today like to say I was surprised by team selection or putting a centre half up front when your two top scorers are on the bench perhaps would have lost but surely you got to put them on the park at least.♦️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the whole putting Crighton up top situation shows a desperation, stick to your plan and grind a team down, pumping long ball into a flat line of attackers is meat and drink for defenders in this league! Did think Crighton looked a bit rattled today possibly the effect of being dropped for the last few..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

Didn't make it today like to say I was surprised by team selection or putting a centre half up front when your two top scorers are on the bench perhaps would have lost but surely you got to put them on the park at least.♦️

You would have been frustrated had you gone today. We hardly passed the ball in a creative way-it was all channels and hoof ball.  Probably the poorest display since the heavy Methil defeat-it's not that they did not work hard or try, but it lacked any flow/cohesion.  I saw nothing wrong with the Montrose 2nd " goal" but it did see Gallagher go off with a mouth injury, and he claimed an elbow as he came along the touchline. If I can bear to watch the highlights I will apologise. We have not lost 2 in a row in the league so East Fife will pose a real worry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

and the pie was quite good ( Peterhead was better)  Final quarter should be very interesting!

TBH, Arbroath have the best pies in Angus, it grieves me to admit that.

I hope you had a good trip back to the weegie world, and your fans were a credit to Scottish football today, very kindly donating a lot of hard earned to the charity buckets at the entry gate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Angus of the Mo said:

TBH, Arbroath have the best pies in Angus, it grieves me to admit that.

I hope you had a good trip back to the weegie world, and your fans were a credit to Scottish football today, very kindly donating a lot of hard earned to the charity buckets at the entry gate.

Decent of you to mention that ,yes It looked like a good few put something in buckets ,thanks for mention 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

You would have been frustrated had you gone today. We hardly passed the ball in a creative way-it was all channels and hoof ball.  Probably the poorest display since the heavy Methil defeat-it's not that they did not work hard or try, but it lacked any flow/cohesion.  I saw nothing wrong with the Montrose 2nd " goal" but it did see Gallagher go off with a mouth injury, and he claimed an elbow as he came along the touchline. If I can bear to watch the highlights I will apologise. We have not lost 2 in a row in the league so East Fife will pose a real worry.

Just listening to the managers interview there he doesn't help himself saying we only created one or two chances when have strickers sat on the bench. Its getting very tight and big game again next week. ♦️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Forgettable game but will take a 1-0 win against a surprisingly poor Airdrie.
The game decided by a penalty awarded when the visiting goalkeeper thought he was playing rugby league and brought down McLean right under the ref’s nose. The goalkeeper had a forgettable game, falling over and nearly presenting us with a second, then going off injured.
After that Montrose had a lot of good approach  play but the ball just wouldn’t fall for us in the area. The visiting team rarely threatened, and in their few half chances found Fleming in good form in the home goal.
Not a game that will live long in the memory but a good result and determined performance from us. Definitely in there fighting for 4th spot.
Sure it was Cammie F that was brought down for the penalty.
Three points and move on.
This team will get us in to the play offs and who knows what will happen when we get there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spanish Armada....... you have to score goals to win games. Pretty sure airdrie weren’t able to do so today. 
All blame can’t be given to the goalie. For a player to be taken off with blood pouring from his mouth after being elbowed any decent ‘fan’ would be concerned about the welfare of the player, not taking to a forum to spout abuse.
2 goals conceded in 6 games, Jeez there was 5 goals conceded in 1 game not too long ago by another goalie (u must have forgotten about that!) . 
Get behind the team and give them the support they deserve and need to fight for promotion!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Angus of the Mo said:

TBH, Arbroath have the best pies in Angus, it grieves me to admit that.

I hope you had a good trip back to the weegie world, and your fans were a credit to Scottish football today, very kindly donating a lot of hard earned to the charity buckets at the entry gate.

The steak pie there is very good but there is more shelter from the wind in Montrose's stand, so the pie stayed warmer.  The game against you down here appears to be your last away match so it could be tasty.  I think you might find it tough at Dumbarton( Sorry just seen it is Clyde) on Tuesday but this League is more competitive than it was last season when Arbroath's team and pies  triumphed. All the best. 

Edited by Chapelhall chap
Lack of understanding

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, LMG28 said:

Spanish Armada....... you have to score goals to win games. Pretty sure airdrie weren’t able to do so today. 
All blame can’t be given to the goalie. For a player to be taken off with blood pouring from his mouth after being elbowed any decent ‘fan’ would be concerned about the welfare of the player, not taking to a forum to spout abuse.
2 goals conceded in 6 games, Jeez there was 5 goals conceded in 1 game not too long ago by another goalie (u must have forgotten about that!) . 
Get behind the team and give them the support they deserve and need to fight for promotion!!

 

Focus on the goalies is pointless, as you say Gallacher has conceded 2 goals in 6 games. No matter how solid your back 4 is you don't have that record by being hopeless in nets. Both goalies are much of a muchness and are fine for this level, the defensive unit is the one thing we can have reasonable faith in.

The glaring issue is the structure creatively, scoring 4 goals in 6 games is pathetic at this level. Particularly given the range of options we have in forward areas. If Murray cannot get more out of those options then he has failed.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Angus of the Mo said:

TBH, Arbroath have the best pies in Angus, it grieves me to admit that.

I hope you had a good trip back to the weegie world, and your fans were a credit to Scottish football today, very kindly donating a lot of hard earned to the charity buckets at the entry gate.

We are not from "weegie world" we are from Lanarkshire (although what constitutes most of what is now Glasgow City Council area was once in Lanarksire). I am most offended to be called a "weegie"!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly not a classic today but Mo certainly deserved the win. Ridiculous goalkeeping to give away the penalty only redeemed minutes later with a great save from Rustys shot.

Rusty looked a lot more interested today. Somebody should tell him that the ban on heading the ball is for under 12s though.

Airdrie offered very little. If those guys are full time they earn an easy living .

Got a bit nervy near the end when we sat deeper and deeper. Airdrie were punting in high balls but Matty and Dillon mopped up everything. 

MOTM - joint award for the above Matty & Dillo  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just listening to the managers interview there he doesn't help himself saying we only created one or two chances when have strickers sat on the bench. Its getting very tight and big game again next week.

I give you Ian “really disappointing” Murray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn’t at the game so some people may think it’s unfair to comment but to bring on the ineffective  Roy and a centre half leaving our 2 top scorers on the bench when losing seems ludicrous. I’ve said it before but I think Murray  is clueless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, waysider said:

I wasn’t at the game so some people may think it’s unfair to comment but to bring on the ineffective  Roy and a centre half leaving our 2 top scorers on the bench when losing seems ludicrous. I’ve said it before but I think Murray  is clueless.

We had to spunk 2 subs due to injuries, one being the keeper,   not a lot Murray could do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TBF he pulled off a brilliant save of Rusty McLean’s shot. I thought he did fine, apart from the fekk up with conceding the penalty

He’s rotten mate,how folk could come on here and say he’s better than Hutton because he can come for crosses every cross he comes for he flaps utter chronic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...