QP v Annan (Fiver Fitba & Friskfest)

On 29/02/2020 at 18:15, Velvet Donkey said:

I thought Luke Main was effective, and would like to see him and Joffrey start. 

Really? Which two players would you leave out to accommodate them? 

39 minutes ago, houstonspider said:
1 hour ago, Ben Reilly said:
That's not the first game that I've noticed Sal winning headers while defending corners. Really hope we can hang on to him for as long as possible.

For someone who doesn't look especially tall Sal wins an incredible number of headers at both ends. Pity that we've not yet managed to work out how to capitalise on his flick ons.

Only 3 off Longworth’s best scoring tally for us which is a terrific achievement considering for large parts of the season he’s been starved of service. Genuinely not seen a better player at heading the ball the way Salim does, some of the goals he’s scored with his head have been terrific. Still think he needs to improve his ability on the ball but if he keeps putting the ball in the net I’ll not be complaining 

Edited by qpfc

For someone who doesn't look especially tall Sal wins an incredible number of headers at both ends. Pity that we've not yet managed to work out how to capitalise on his flick ons.
I agree, and hopefully its something that is being worked as if we get it working it could be really dangerous to opposition, theres goals to be scored if we get that right.
When Sal dropped deeper in the second half with Moore coming on I commented to those I was with that it might work well with Moore playing ahead if him to run onto flick ons, but it never really came to anything.

I really like Joffery, and would love if we could find the best fit for him in the team to be a regular starter, but like you say it's difficult to pick someone he would replace.

Good problem to have though, and with injuries and suspensions, I'm sure he'll play his part before the end of the season.

Not so sure about Main, decent hard working young player, but may have to improve (out on loan?) if he's to really compete for a place in a team in which the quality and expectation has rapidly increased. I would also like to have McGrory ahead of him in the queue to be honest.

30 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Only 3 off Longworth’s best scoring tally for us which is a terrific achievement considering for large parts of the season he’s been starved of service. 

I make it he's 4 off  - Longworth got 21 in all competitions that season, Sal has 17 -  but you're right, terrific indeed. I think he'll beat it. 

58 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

I maybe got carried away with that one. To start them both is hard to justify given the success of the current midfield, and the strength we otherwise have on the bench. My point was really that I'd like for Joffrey to remain involved, and I've seen King have better games for us than he did on Saturday. Luke Main I had assumed would be a casualty of the revolution, but I thought he showed well for the short time he was on. I'm still hopeful that Lewis Magee and McGrory will make the grade.

All four loanees will be gone in a couple of months.

There's no reason why we can't have young players on the bench. Not every player needs to be a starter at 18. Also, Mackinnon has shown with Muir keeping his place, that if you are playing well you won't be dropped.

Magee and McGrory definitely have the ability and would expect both to feature in the squads if/when fit. Both have taken injuries when they've really looked to be coming onto a game. A shame. 

They may or may not be here next season, but both are definitely a level above the guys who have gone. Easily capable of getting a start for league sides. Wouldn't be at all disappointed to see both signed up for next season. 

Both are capable of progressing and are more likely to do so around good players. They are also less likely to be pissed off about not starting every single game than someone brought in from a higher level. 

1 hour ago, Mick1867 said:

Agree but let's wait until the summer holidays

After Saturday's weather, that's a great idea MIck1867.

I thought great credit to both teams for their perseverance in  trying conditions.

I was happy to see both Slater and MacLean start the game, and perhaps no co-incidence that their quick feet and quick thinking helped us gain our first half advantage. It's a pity both aren't 100% fit, but it's surely more important that we make best use of them, and keep them uninjured, now that the play-offs are on the horizon, and RayMac's decision to take both off to save them from futrher injury makes a lot of sense.

Thought Galt and Salim were my two shouts for MOM. Galt was tireless throughout, and Sal ran up and down that park from one end to the other non-stop. His defensive qualities are often overlooked, hope both Galty and Salim are 2 of the first to be offered extended contracts for next season. The team seems to be gelling well given the short time since they got together,and given their different backgrouds.

As we all know football is a game of opinions, and although young Adam King got the sponsors MOM, and afew on here thought he played well. For me he's still got a lot to learn, when every corner or free kick he took hit the first defender.

To me, it seems a poor use of a dead ball situation with it's possibility of puting pressure on the opposition making them defend the ball, rather than giving them the easy option of clearing a badly placed cross.  At a corner, we usually send up all our big guys into the box, they're then out of position, and we hit the first defender. It seems a key part of any training routine, just like penalty taking, find your best crosser of the ball, practice makes perfect. 

Sorry about the bee in my bunnet. Given I never wear a bunnet, I've still got plenty of bees hovering around 🐵

But a big well done to all the playing squad and staff, for getting us into a position we could only dream about a few months ago.

After Saturday's weather, that's a great idea MIck1867.
I thought great credit to both teams for their perseverance in  trying conditions.
I was happy to see both Slater and MacLean start the game, and perhaps no co-incidence that their quick feet and quick thinking helped us gain our first half advantage. It's a pity both aren't 100% fit, but it's surely more important that we make best use of them, and keep them uninjured, now that the play-offs are on the horizon, and RayMac's decision to take both off to save them from futrher injury makes a lot of sense.
Thought Galt and Salim were my two shouts for MOM. Galt was tireless throughout, and Sal ran up and down that park from one end to the other non-stop. His defensive qualities are often overlooked, hope both Galty and Salim are 2 of the first to be offered extended contracts for next season. The team seems to be gelling well given the short time since they got together,and given their different backgrouds.
As we all know football is a game of opinions, and although young Adam King got the sponsors MOM, and afew on here thought he played well. For me he's still got a lot to learn, when every corner or free kick he took hit the first defender.
To me, it seems a poor use of a dead ball situation with it's possibility of puting pressure on the opposition making them defend the ball, rather than giving them the easy option of clearing a badly placed cross.  At a corner, we usually send up all our big guys into the box, they're then out of position, and we hit the first defender. It seems a key part of any training routine, just like penalty taking, find your best crosser of the ball, practice makes perfect. 
Sorry about the bee in my bunnet. Given I never wear a bunnet, I've still got plenty of bees hovering around [emoji204]
But a big well done to all the playing squad and staff, for getting us into a position we could only dream about a few months ago.

At one point on Saturday I actualy commented that I thought Galt might end up telling King that he would handle the rest of the corners. However, King looks a good player, and I'm sure with the new enthusiasm at training we're hearing about, improved delivery of corners can be fairly easily coached.
I thought there were probably half a dozen of the guys who could have picked up Motm on Saturday, which is very encouraging.

9 hours ago, Ben Reilly said:

Not so sure about Main, decent hard working young player, but may have to improve (out on loan?) if he's to really compete for a place in a team in which the quality and expectation has rapidly increased. I would also like to have McGrory ahead of him in the queue to be honest.

In the last few reserve games they have played I thought Main has done better than McGrory. Probably why he's ahead of him at the moment.

In the last few reserve games they have played I thought Main has done better than McGrory. Probably why he's ahead of him at the moment.
Fair enough, I haven't been at any of the reserve games, so I can't comment, but if true then it seems fair that Main is the one making the squad.
I was only basing it on what I'd seen if them in the first team earlier in the season.
Glad both are still with us, and hope they continue to develop into players good enough for regular first team slots.

Evening all, was up at the game on Saturday with a few mates. We're Burton Albion fans but do a Scottish game a season. Thought we'd come up to watch Queens Park playing at Hampden before the move to Lesser Hampden. 

No expert on Scottish League 2 but impressed with the football Queens Park played, good patient and at times intelligent passing football in difficult conditions. 

Have wrote a piece on the day, hope I've got all historical stats & facts right but no doubt you'll correct me if any errors! All the best for the rest of season & the move to Lesser Hampden. 

https://jaygolds.wordpress.com/2020/03/03/the-2019-20-scottish-awayday-queens-park/

1 hour ago, JamieG said:

Evening all, was up at the game on Saturday with a few mates. We're Burton Albion fans but do a Scottish game a season. Thought we'd come up to watch Queens Park playing at Hampden before the move to Lesser Hampden. 

No expert on Scottish League 2 but impressed with the football Queens Park played, good patient and at times intelligent passing football in difficult conditions. 

Have wrote a piece on the day, hope I've got all historical stats & facts right but no doubt you'll correct me if any errors! All the best for the rest of season & the move to Lesser Hampden. 

https://jaygolds.wordpress.com/2020/03/03/the-2019-20-scottish-awayday-queens-park/

1 hour ago, JamieG said:

Thanks for your post, great read, hope you guys can get back up to see QP. I made a trip down to see Accrington a couple of seasons ago whilst spending a few days with relatives near Kendal. The rail journey from Oxenholme and back made during a partial rail strike with limited services. Meant the trip was an adventure to say the least but I was determined to get there and I'm glad I did to see the hosts beat Bradford City. Good luck against Lincoln on Saturday, enjoy the rest of the season.

Edited by Lesser Is More

13 minutes ago, Lesser Is More said:

Thanks for your post, great read, hope you guys can get back up to see QP. I made a trip down to see Accrington a couple of seasons ago whilst spending a few days with relatives near Kendal. The rail journey from Oxenholme and back made during a partial rail strike with limited services. Meant the trip was an adventure to say the least but I was determined to get there and I'm glad I did to see the hosts beat Bradford City. Good luck against Lincoln on Saturday, enjoy the rest of the season.

Thanks for that, glad you enjoyed it. Will definitely be back to see you playing at Lesser Hampden & to enjoy a few more Queens Park lagers! 

Accrington, lost count how many times I've seen us lose there. Coldest ground I've been too. All the best. 

Edited by JamieG

Lorne sausage in a scotch pie?
You might be on to something there.

4 hours ago, Ben Reilly said:

Lorne sausage in a scotch pie?
You might be on to something there.

I hear that Alloa have now advanced to doing square sausage and a pie in a roll ( last time we were there it was just a pie in a roll -  still great)