Best football fan meltdowns

Seen any story worthy meltdowns? Pathetic self filmed pish doesn't count.

One of the most memorable for me wasn't even at a game. It was a bar across from Glasgow Queen Street. Sevco were playing Raith in the Challenge Cup final.

There was one guy, apparently a Sevco fan, who was giving it big licks to nobody in particular until Raith scored. He went a strange shade of red, and myself, DA Baracus and a few others we didn't know were chuckling at the zombie's poor attempts to go back ahead.

When Rovers scored the winner in extra time (I think?!) he went utterly ape shit, face went scarlet red and eventually stormed out to jeers and laughter. An absolute buffoon of a man and a typical Sevco, touchy, pathetic toad.

Dunfermline fans when they blew their 3-1 lead at Firhill in 2013. I genuinely think there were grown men crying when our fans goaded them from the pitch invasion.

I remember a seething Dee penning a spittle-soaked letter to the SFA after Rab Douglas was sent off against us at Dens.

The Old Firm are in a league of their own when it comes down to meltdowns, though. I remember Rangers were losing to Albion Rovers in the Scottish Cup at Ibrox and I decided to drag my hungover body round to my local *** bear pit to revel in the misery. I was getting more and more evil stares as the hilarity unfolded. My sniggers were becoming more obvious. When Rangers cheated to make it 1-1, a seething middle-aged beetroot roared at me ‘no so smug now are ye, ya ****** c**t’.  

A babyish Accies fan deleting the entire match thread in a toddler tantrum after we beat Hamilton (feels like a century ago) - what made it particularly pathetic was that it was the game after Lambie died, so a lot of said thread's posts were appreciations and reminiscences of the great man.

Glorious stuff, especially the whole Hartley/McKinnon are gods to duffers timelines.

As encapsulated by their weekly, mass change of avatar as they gravitated from one ‘sexy’ jobber to another.

The gift that has just kept on giving.

065fa35e-80b5-4de2-ad54-43675ea2ef1e.jpg

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

That’s not even a gif, you stupid, old jakey.

Nope, but the term fitted the humour that you apparently failed to recognise.

Nor am I stupid, old, or a jakey. So what's your point here,  caller  jakey? 😛

Bit more of recent one, only going back to 2018.

Ayr have beaten Raith 3-0 for the second time of the season. As I walk out of the ground at full time, I was greeted to a very rough woman who approached me and repeatedly shouting at my face "yer staying down, yer staying down!!!"

There was also many confrontations between fans and Mark Roberts when he was manager.

I haven't witnessed too many which is pretty impressive given I sit near the away fans. No chance of me witnessing the home fans having one as they rarely stand when we score in the area I sit, the passionless fannies.

Two come to mind though. I never witnessed this one but my mate came up from the shop at HT and said a guy was going absolutely apeshit with his side. Shouts of "the manager was fucking clueless", "the players were absolutely fucking awful and look disinterested", and my favourite: "it's the same pish every fucking week". This was from a Brechin City fan on the opening weekend of their awful season in the Championship. I expect that guy died along the way because if he thought that game was bad I can't imagine how he reacted to the shitshow that followed.

The other was quite a spectacle. We were playing Dundee and this older guy (50-60) was just a coiled spring the whole half. Regardless of who scored. Absolutely seething at his own team and even worse when we scored. At some point he locked eyes with my mate and ended up offering him a square go outside "now!". My pal laughed it off but kindly accepted his offer if he fancied it, laughing the whole time. The guy did the go to stand up then rethink it carry on for a bit before it died down. Then at half time (aye all this was the first half) he disappeared. Like the Brechin game this was the opening fixture of the season and like the Brechin fan I expect that guy has since died.

Is it possible these folk are just raging from May to August and just release it all in a oner of the opening fixture? I consider myself a passionate fan but by f**k what a state to get into on opening day.

Maybe it’s because we have been closer to them at Ibrox but Rangers fans seem to be more prone to a Seething breakdown than Celtic fans when you beat them at their place. When we won 3-0at Ibrox in the league cup you were worried that some of them were going to pass out with apoplexy.

There used to be a Hearts fan who sat right at the front of section N who would go insane if things didn’t go his teams way. When we beat them 3-2 with a last minute winner in 2007 I remember him thumping the hoarding repeatedly, and that was well before the end of the game.

I was also in the company once of a sports journalist watching a Scotland Romania friendly during the Vogts era and when we went 2-0 down he had a meltdown, shouting “ROMANIA, FUCKING ROMANIA” at the screen. Strange as it’s not like Romania are or were some minnow. Also it was a friendly, so who cares. I think it was the game where John Kennedy got injured, maybe he was angry at that. Very much over the top though.

An ICT fan a few weeks ago stood in the wee enclosure in front of the stand spent the entire 90 minutes an absolute seething mess at Greg Aitken (no it wasn’t John Robertson). He nearly leapt out his trainers when Aitken denied them a stone wall penalty and couldn’t take it when Moffat skinned Shaun Rooney about 3 times in 5 minutes.

Apart from that I can’t recall many meltdowns. A few Rangers fans in the home end when we played them in the Scottish Cup a couple of years back mental when Alan Forrest put us in front. They then just about exploded when they realised what family he was from. Didn’t matter much as Rangers then put 6 past us but I don’t think the group of **** around us calmed down much.