How secure is Nicola Sturgeon's position?

Ludo*1

14 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Assume you mean referendum? But aye agree (particularly with their Scottish constituency polling at present). Honestly, Cherry is a really capable person but is a bit of a wrong-un who is not well liked by many who don't have a vested interest in taking their lines from Salmond.

The only thing that would take Nicola down is if she's been up to something seriously not good in the Salmond stuff and my guess is as good as anyones on that. Even in that scenario I just couldn't see Cherry being the next leader.

I meant any sort of election in 2020 whether it was the general, Holyrood or a referendum. Getting the general out the way before the trial begins looks like a masterstroke for the party and 2021 is probably long enough away for them to put some distance beyond Salmond and whatever the verdict is. 

Nicola is competent and confident in her position, Scotland is littered with Unionist media at a local and national level who are bitter and resentful over the landslide SNP general election victory, the Unionists will stop at nothing to discredit the SNP.

Consider Jackson Carcrash, here is a man that was in senior management/control of two car dealerships which went bust and yet the press/media never mention it but rather he is regaled as a strong forceful leader totally in command of the Scottish tories when the reality was that he couldn't sell  second hand cars to save his companies.

It's all smoke and mirrors from the likes of those rank tories the Thomson press and their media buddies.

3 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Unpopular opinion politics redux: acquittal would be more damaging to the SNP than a guilty verdict.

Agreed.

The conspiracy theorist and fleg-waving 'staunch' types would go berserk. "Nicola knew" etc etc

Then you have the particular wee pool of feminists who are quite content to conclude that any man accused of any act against a woman is guilty, to hell with due process, evidence, verdict etc. These aren't always people lacking in any sort of intellectual credibility either. You can bet your bottom dollar that if Salmond is utterly exonerated and the prosecution case revealed to be a pile of absolute nonsense, there will still be endless shrieking and 'debates' about poor conviction rates for sexual crimes etc

I'm wondering what exactly will happen if Salmond is exonerated, and he then applies to rejoin the SNP. They can't exactly turn him away, and I do think he's way beyond realising that even though he's innocent his application is in itself enough to taint by association in a lot of idiots' minds. I think that bridge was probably burned though with the case against the SG and his taking the shilling from Russia Today.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Guest Bob Mahelp

There's not a hope in hell that someone as marmite as Cherry will be the next leader of the SNP, whenever Sturgeon decides to step down. 

She appeals to some, but the risk of some kind of internal civil war breaking out that would dissuade moderate voters from backing the SNP is simply too great.

I would suggest that whenever the point comes, the next leader needs to be a progressive that carries little or no baggage, and that will also appeal to those moderate voters that the Yes movement as a whole need to get independence over the line.

Step forward Alyn Smith. 

9 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

There's not a hope in hell that someone as marmite as Cherry will be the next leader of the SNP, whenever Sturgeon decides to step down. 

She appeals to some, but the risk of some kind of internal civil war breaking out that would dissuade moderate voters from backing the SNP is simply too great.

I would suggest that whenever the point comes, the next leader needs to be a progressive that carries little or no baggage, and that will also appeal to those moderate voters that the Yes movement as a whole need to get independence over the line.

Step forward Alyn Smith. 

Not sure if Smith doesn’t have baggage as well. His boyfriend is a pretty vocal LGBT proponent that the likes of Wings are always losing their shit over. Smith himself doesn’t seem to ever get involved but I’m sure he would likely get dragged into it if he took a position of prominence.

Guest Bob Mahelp
29 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Not sure if Smith doesn’t have baggage as well. His boyfriend is a pretty vocal LGBT proponent that the likes of Wings are always losing their shit over. Smith himself doesn’t seem to ever get involved but I’m sure he would likely get dragged into it if he took a position of prominence.

I'm not sure that's 'baggage'. If anything, getting that nutcase in Bath wound up is a plus point. 

3 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Smith surely lacks the  basic judgement needed to be a leader.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-48664373

One throw away (if ill-judged) remark means that he 'lacks the basic judgement to be a leader' ?

Lol.

Thank God we don't have a lying, misogynistic, xenophobic, racist as Prime Minister then eh ? Phew, that was a lucky escape. 

14 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm not sure that's 'baggage'. If anything, getting that nutcase in Bath wound up is a plus point.

If it was just him sure but having a partner that openly antagonises your own parties MP's/MSP's (Cherry, Mcalpine etc) wouldn't generally be regarded as a good thing for a party leader regardless of the issue.

19 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

One throw away (if ill-judged) remark means that he 'lacks the basic judgement to be a leader' ?

Lol.

Thank God we don't have a lying, misogynistic, xenophobic, racist as Prime Minister then eh ? Phew, that was a lucky escape. 

All sorts of politicians have all sorts of political opinions that you might find unacceptable. But very few are stupid enough to unequivocally allege (live on Sky) serious criminality against a named party. He can be forgiven for being a smug git, but that act alone renders him unfit to be left in charge of a sweetie shop.

btw I don't recall holding Boris up as the benchmark for honesty.

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Every ex leader of the SNP causes problems for the next generation (see: Gordon Wilson and Jim Sillars regularly turning up in the Scotsman to say why whatever Salmond was doing in the 90s and 2010s was wrong) 

It's a fair point although Sillars isn't an ex SNP leader.

Step forward Alyn Smith. 

Cherry withdrew from the Westminster leader race in 2017 as she couldn’t find the support she needed. I don’t doubt the rank and file members feel the same way.

On 24/02/2020 at 12:39, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Due to a broadcasting signal quirk I was able in 1974 to watch the FA Cup Final live in a hotel in Kilcreggan on (I'm sure) Ulster Television - the game wasn't broadcast on the terrestrial Scottish channels.  So I'm assuming that despite there being reportedly no record of a live TV broadcast you must have done something similar in 1967, noting that Gordon Brown and his family would have had to have decanted to the same area for the day in order to validate his claim.  Unlikely methinks.

You're bang on the money.

That's my hometown (village).