How secure is Nicola Sturgeon's position?

Ludo*1

On 23/02/2020 at 15:17, Bob Mahelp said:

Is this actual pressure on Sturgeon, or is it simply shit stirring by the Unionist press ?

I'm an SNP member and nobody I know that's a fellow member has any criticism at all for Nicola Sturgeon. 

I would agree with that but I do know that in one constituency, during doorstep canvassing, a lot of older women made adverse comments about Nicola.

Personally I feel there is no one better presently.

5 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Their Facebook news feeds are full of stuff about Sturgeon being a lesbian in a sham marriage hence no kids etc.

My mum told me a couple of weeks ago that she had been out for coffee with some of her friends and one of them had told her that, saying she had got the information from a "very trustworthy source". 

Every time I hear somebody decrying the FM because of some gossip about her supposed sexuality, they usually have form for admitting to admiring Ruth Davidson, which baffles me. Seems it's only ok  for '"lesbians" to be in positions of power provided they have the correct political leanings.

6 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Probably the same sort of "how could they love each other, think of the age gap, something is going on" chat.

Didn't think my question needed a tongue-in-cheek emoji after it, but aye.

The other thing I find amusing is the utter bewilderment when I've pointed out to the gossips that it's entirely possible for the same individual to have loving, committed relationships with both men and women. Like, but no, you must be absolutely one way or the other!!!! 1111 :angry:

She just led the SNP to an absolute skelping of everyone else at the election despite stop the SNP no to indy refs etc etc campaigns. Scottish elections next year so starting the ball rolling now. It's so utterly predictable.

As if by magic that's the Telegraph running a "storm clouds over Sturgeon" story. Wonder who'll be next?

9 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

While it’s apparent that the media are stoking the flames here isn’t it also apparent that Cherry is positioning herself as the next leader? It’s whether she’s angling to take over sooner rather than later.

Undoubtedly that is the plan in her own head (and in the head of another MP and some from outside the party) but I've said it before on here and I'll say it again, there is not a snowballs chance in hell of Cherry being the leader of the SNP. So, in that context the sooner or later question isn't really a question that needs addressed in reality. 

Edited by Londonwell

3 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Undoubtedly that is the plan in her own head (and in the head of another MP and some from outside the party) but I've said it before on here and I'll say it again, there is not a snowballs chance in hell of Cherry being the leader of the SNP. So, in that context the sooner or later question isn't really a question that needs addressed in reality. 

I get the impression the roaster contingent in the party is fairly insignificant and no matter how bad the fallout from the Salmond trial I doubt they'll be able to mount a sustained attack on Sturgeon's position. I doubt it'll even affect the party's support for next year but I think it explains why the SNP were gung-ho for an election last year and are happy to let the next referendum take its time to materialise. They would be daft to want any election in 2020.

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

I get the impression the roaster contingent in the party is fairly insignificant and no matter how bad the fallout from the Salmond trial I doubt they'll be able to mount a sustained attack on Sturgeon's position. I doubt it'll even affect the party's support for next year but I think it explains why the SNP were gung-ho for an election last year and are happy to let the next referendum take its time to materialise. They would be daft to want any election in 2020.

Assume you mean referendum? But aye agree (particularly with their Scottish constituency polling at present). Honestly, Cherry is a really capable person but is a bit of a wrong-un who is not well liked by many who don't have a vested interest in taking their lines from Salmond.

The only thing that would take Nicola down is if she's been up to something seriously not good in the Salmond stuff and my guess is as good as anyones on that. Even in that scenario I just couldn't see Cherry being the next leader.