How secure is Nicola Sturgeon's position?

Ludo*1

Sturgeon needing to defend herself from the BBC today over her position:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-51600062

I have to say, if there was an ounce of truth in this and the likes of Cherry were being careerist behind the scenes and successfully ousted Sturgeon, I reckon I'd be done with the SNP and go fully fledged Green.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Sturgeon needing to defend herself from the BBC today over her position:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-51600062

I have to say, if there was an ounce of truth in this and the likes of Cherry were being careerist behind the scenes and successfully ousted Sturgeon, I reckon I'd be done with the SNP and go fully fledged Green.

It would be utterly crazy for anyone to challenge for the leadership at this time.

Sturgeon has made significant progress since she became leader, and must be allowed to see her agenda through. I honestly don't believe that Cherry, or anyone else for that matter, think a change of leader would be a wise move for the party at this moment.

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I wouldn't go as far as going full green if someone I didn't like became leader because that kills independence. I don't vote SNP because I like them (though on the whole they aren't bad), as a natural green supporter I vote SNP just to get indy. Once we get that, I'm voting for other people.

I think that's where I stand as well.

8 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I wouldn't go as far as going full green if someone I didn't like became leader because that kills independence. I don't vote SNP because I like them (though on the whole they aren't bad), as a natural green supporter I vote SNP just to get indy. Once we get that, I'm voting for other people.

It'd be more to do with the fact that people in the party value themselves over Scottish independence. If Sturgeon is usurped by her own party, I reckon that'd be independence dead in any case.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Is this actual pressure on Sturgeon, or is it simply shit stirring by the Unionist press ?

I'm an SNP member and nobody I know that's a fellow member has any criticism at all for Nicola Sturgeon. 

3 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Is this actual pressure on Sturgeon, or is it simply shit stirring by the Unionist press ?

I'm an SNP member and nobody I know that's a fellow member has any criticism at all for Nicola Sturgeon. 

Think it's just the obsessive anti trans twitterati and the Wings mob, ably assisted by the Unionist press who can't believe their luck in finding such useful idiots. She just got 80% of seats in the last election FFS.

Edited by welshbairn

6 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Two rubbish candidates to be honest. Cherry because it's yet more dashing across open ground under fire for the leadership and Robertson because despite saying he was done with front line politics he's obviously only doing it because his think tank isn't earning him a living.

If he needs a few quid, there's a Director of Football job going at Tynecastle. And he would have an edge over Eck since Eck might  struggle to get PVG clearance at the moment.

2 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Yeah it’s all pish with a little bit of help from the overly ambitious MP/MSPs of which, thankfully, there are relatively few of in the party.

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s a sign of how desperate the MSM and establishment are that Gordon Brown is still given coverage.

A useless c**t of a chancellor and an even more useless unelected c**t of a PM who was quickly emptied.

FTFY Granny.  

One of my favourite Broon lies was when he claimed to have watched Scotland's 3-2 win over England at Wembley in 1967 live on the telly at home.  His old man must have had some deal from Rediffusion, as the match wasn't broadcast live on UK television.

Still, Tribune Of The People and all that.

15 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

FTFY Granny.  

One of my favourite Broon lies was when he claimed to have watched Scotland's 3-2 win over England at Wembley in 1967 live on the telly at home.  His old man must have had some deal from Rediffusion, as the match wasn't broadcast live on UK television.

Still, Tribune Of The People and all that.

I can assure you it was and I also watched it!         #baxterkeepyup

4 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

I can assure you it was and I also watched it!         #baxterkeepyup

I think not. I remember being at a match that day, Aberdeen v Stirling Albion, 1-0 to the Dons.

"If you were not among the 99,063-strong crown at Wembley, you will not have seen Scotland’s greatest victory as it unfolded. Unlike today, the match was not deemed important enough to be shown live - and only the second half was covered by radio commentators. It was the only time during the 1960s the BBC did not cover the annual clash between Scotland and England but Scottish TV did screen three highlight programmes in the hours after the final whistle."

9 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I think not. I remember being at a match that day, Aberdeen v Stirling Albion, 1-0 to the Dons.

"If you were not among the 99,063-strong crown at Wembley, you will not have seen Scotland’s greatest victory as it unfolded. Unlike today, the match was not deemed important enough to be shown live - and only the second half was covered by radio commentators. It was the only time during the 1960s the BBC did not cover the annual clash between Scotland and England but Scottish TV did screen three highlight programmes in the hours after the final whistle."

this is 100% incorrect....watched it with my pals .

54 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

this is 100% incorrect....watched it with my pals .

Due to a broadcasting signal quirk I was able in 1974 to watch the FA Cup Final live in a hotel in Kilcreggan on (I'm sure) Ulster Television - the game wasn't broadcast on the terrestrial Scottish channels.  So I'm assuming that despite there being reportedly no record of a live TV broadcast you must have done something similar in 1967, noting that Gordon Brown and his family would have had to have decanted to the same area for the day in order to validate his claim.  Unlikely methinks.