Amazon Prime

Savage Henry

1 hour ago, velo army said:

I am thoroughly, thoroughly enjoying this. The plot is marvellous and cleverly written by writers who know what they're doing. The way the characters are written is excellent. They're given room to breathe and the dialogue has a purpose to it. The stakeout scene in Episode 6 where we learn a bit more about Finley is great. There is not a lot of dialogue, and what there is gives us enough information as to understand deeper motivations of his actions and also the type of man he is. It's very well done.

I'm on episode 6 and I reckon I've figured out who the big boss baddie is.

Reveal hidden contents

I think it's the accountant fella, Hubble. We still haven't found his body and his wife is making more sense as a femme fatale/lady macbeth type. I don't have any kind of smoking gun yet, and I may yet be proven wrong, but I think it's him. With his wife as a big player too. She's pretending to be a scared victim but they were never in any real danger. The accountant came on board, saw his opportunity to be bigger than Kleiner and took it. Classic case of a wee weedy guy who has a huge mind being underestimated due to his size and supposed/affected gentleness.

Nailed it!!

Follow me for more gambling tips and predictions. 

E.T.A. That was fucking magnificent. 

Edited by velo army

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone watched Too Old To Die Young?

It's from 2019 but I only heard of it recently and binged it all this week. It's easily the most fucked up TV show i've ever seen but also the best looking one, it makes the vast majority of films look like shit in terms of acting, cinematography and lighting. The plot focuses on a corrupt cop in the LA Sherriff's department and a young Mexican drug cartel leader but it doesn't conform to any normal standard TV plot logic and despite beginning on familiar territory ends up somewhere you would never expect going in.

It's directed and co written by Nicholas Winding Refn who made Drive with Ryan Gosling which was a hit but nothing else which was popular and the follow up to his one hit was Only God Forgives which most people who saw it seem to have hated (if you didn't like Only God Forgives then don't watch this). Despite this someone at Amazon gave him a $300 million dollar budget to make a 10 part series and he repaid them with episodes stretching to 90 minutes that regularly have single shots with barely any dialogue that last a couple of minutes. The only thing that it's is similar to that i've seen Twin Peaks The Return but unlike that it purposefully has no likeable characters, no morality, very little humour and goes out it's way to be disturbing and to troll and alienate everyone. The lead character is played by Miles Teller and he barely has a personality. It got barely any promotion which suggests that Amazon weren't happy about paying a fortune for a show which explicitly says America is a fascist empire. Apparently it wasn't even on the list of new shows they publish when it became available to stream.

Even watching the best TV like The Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men etc i've always had a small feeling of regret that they are confined by the norms of the medium and are duty bound to conform to the expectations of a mass audience (as proven by the reaction on the few occasions when The Sopranos move outside those norms). Too Old To Die Young is the first and (probably will be the only) TV show to have the artistic freedom and budget to do whatever it's creator wants with no regards for it's audience and financial backers other than to f**k them up. The opening scene of Episode 5 is probably the most uncomfortable i've ever felt watching TV.

I've got a feeling this is going to become a cult favourite as times go by. 

Edited by Detournement

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/06/2022 at 20:13, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Backstage with Katherine Ryan what a crock of shite.

Anything with her in it is a crock of shite. 

[I didn't change the words and do that "FTFY" pish as I really dislike it].

On 03/02/2022 at 10:54, steelmen said:

running through Supernatural from the start. Forgot how good it was back at the start before they got real weird in the middle

made it to season 15 at the weekend, so 20 weeks to do 14 series and now the wife wants to watch the final season with me... I'll probably finish it in December!

On 26/05/2022 at 09:21, Detournement said:

Has anyone watched Too Old To Die Young?

It's from 2019 but I only heard of it recently and binged it all this week. It's easily the most fucked up TV show i've ever seen but also the best looking one, it makes the vast majority of films look like shit in terms of acting, cinematography and lighting. The plot focuses on a corrupt cop in the LA Sherriff's department and a young Mexican drug cartel leader but it doesn't conform to any normal standard TV plot logic and despite beginning on familiar territory ends up somewhere you would never expect going in.

It's directed and co written by Nicholas Winding Refn who made Drive with Ryan Gosling which was a hit but nothing else which was popular and the follow up to his one hit was Only God Forgives which most people who saw it seem to have hated (if you didn't like Only God Forgives then don't watch this). Despite this someone at Amazon gave him a $300 million dollar budget to make a 10 part series and he repaid them with episodes stretching to 90 minutes that regularly have single shots with barely any dialogue that last a couple of minutes. The only thing that it's is similar to that i've seen Twin Peaks The Return but unlike that it purposefully has no likeable characters, no morality, very little humour and goes out it's way to be disturbing and to troll and alienate everyone. The lead character is played by Miles Teller and he barely has a personality. It got barely any promotion which suggests that Amazon weren't happy about paying a fortune for a show which explicitly says America is a fascist empire. Apparently it wasn't even on the list of new shows they publish when it became available to stream.

Even watching the best TV like The Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men etc i've always had a small feeling of regret that they are confined by the norms of the medium and are duty bound to conform to the expectations of a mass audience (as proven by the reaction on the few occasions when The Sopranos move outside those norms). Too Old To Die Young is the first and (probably will be the only) TV show to have the artistic freedom and budget to do whatever it's creator wants with no regards for it's audience and financial backers other than to f**k them up. The opening scene of Episode 5 is probably the most uncomfortable i've ever felt watching TV.

I've got a feeling this is going to become a cult favourite as times go by. 

Always fancied this and been meaning to check it out. I loved Drive and didn't think Only God Forgives was as bad as made out. Valhalla Rising was good too. Only God Forgives and then The Neon Demon (which I haven't seen) seems to have basically killed his career off but he probably doesn't give a f**k. Robert Eggers seems to have nipped in and stole his thunder a bit, similar weird choices and style. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Watched the first couple of episodes of Citadel starring Richard Madden, Priyanka Chopra and Stanley Tucci. Thought it was a decent enough start. 

Spy action series produced by the Russo brothers. Looks like a lot of money has been spent on it so surprised Amazon don’t seem to be promoting it a bit more.

On 29/04/2023 at 22:23, Rodhull said:

Watched the first couple of episodes of Citadel starring Richard Madden, Priyanka Chopra and Stanley Tucci. Thought it was a decent enough start. 

Spy action series produced by the Russo brothers. Looks like a lot of money has been spent on it so surprised Amazon don’t seem to be promoting it a bit more.

There's a billboard near Graeme High in Falkirk. That's plenty. 

11 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I've since seen an article suggesting this may be Amazon's biggest flop yet with a budget of $300 million so maybe they're cutting their losses.

Thought it was alright to be fair, seen far worse.

6 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I want to live in a world where this is part of a typical conversation between ad agency execs.

• 1 month later...

Anyone watched "The Consultant"? 

Sort of a mystery drama that doesn't seem to be hugely serious. Christoph Waltz the headline actor whos great, again.

Theyve pointed to a certain twist since the start, to the point even songs played in the credits hint at it eventually. It would be a decent twist too IMO but feel like theyll overthink and go with something stupid instead. Has me hooked waiting to find out though.

On 29/04/2023 at 22:23, Rodhull said:

Tbf its been advertised in the cinema as part of film trailers, that cant be cheap

• 1 month later...

Watched a bit of Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre, with Jason Statham, and Hugh Grant is doing the exact same voice he did in The Gentleman, another Guy Ritchie film. Felt a bit weird seeing him doing much the same mannerisms too. Anyway, looked no bad, will finish watching it later tonight. 

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

On 27/06/2022 at 17:06, steelmen said:

made it to season 15 at the weekend, so 20 weeks to do 14 series and now the wife wants to watch the final season with me... I'll probably finish it in December!

I don't know if you know but it got weird in the middle because it was only meant to last five seasons, but was so popular the network made them keep going.

Sam is a bitch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just watched the 1st episode of The Continental based on the hotel from John Wick fame. Nearly 90 minutes long. 

Had fairly low expectations as I saw Mel Gibson was part of the cast. 

Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Definite John Wick vibes but it was a decent watch with an excellent soundtrack to boot. 

Edited by welldaft

On 25/09/2023 at 21:51, welldaft said:

Just watched the 1st episode of The Continental based on the hotel from John Wick fame. Nearly 90 minutes long. 

Had fairly low expectations as I saw Mel Gibson was part of the cast. 

Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Definite John Wick vibes but it was a decent watch with an excellent soundtrack to boot. 

Was just looking in here to see if anyone had watched it, yep def John Wick fighting style, running about hitting and shooting people. Great music throughout it too, and the young Winston is good.