Amazon Prime

Savage Henry

18 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

First season has been alright. Dosnt feel like an awful lot is happening 

I know people that said it picks up as it goes but I was hooked from the start. A lot of threads initially plotted in the first season are resolved in seasons 2-3 though and 4 is in some ways a bit of a soft reset as the end of season 3 is the first big game changer of the series. I do like every season for gradually escalating the stakes though.

Season 2 episode 6 has one of my favourite sequences in any series though. A great climax for a specific character's arc and looks amazing especially when compared to how SyFy a lot of the first series looks. Has Avasarala turned up yet?

Watched Wayne over the weekend. Kind of like a Yank version of The End of the Fucking World, and none the worst for it. Plenty language, violence (mainly mano a mano), and generally getting more Florida as the main characters approached the Lunatic State.
Thoroughly enjoyed, will watch season two.

On 09/02/2021 at 20:16, Robin.Hood said:

The expanse, yay or nae?

I have quite enjoyed watching the episodes but it's not one that I keep wanting to go back to as a priority. I find it quite hard to keep track of who everyone is as a fairly casual viewer, which probably doesn't help. 

On 09/02/2021 at 23:57, NotThePars said:

YES

Were you saying on the books thread thst you'd read them all? Is the series faithful to the books? 

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

I have quite enjoyed watching the episodes but it's not one that I keep wanting to go back to as a priority. I find it quite hard to keep track of who everyone is as a fairly casual viewer, which probably doesn't help. 

Were you saying on the books thread thst you'd read them all? Is the series faithful to the books? 

They stick to the broad strokes and the overarching plot but they introduce specific elements earlier, change character motivations or positions relative to the plot (and in some cases move their deaths to suit the show narrative), and bring in some new story threads. I would broadly say they change everything for the better. They're intending to finish with six seasons though and they've introduced significant elements from books 7-9 into the finale of Season 5 so it'll be interesting to see where they go. 

I would say it's a better television series than novels so far. The writing quality for books 6-8 drastically pick up tho, imo.

Edited by NotThePars

On 15/02/2021 at 19:13, NotThePars said:

They stick to the broad strokes and the overarching plot but they introduce specific elements earlier, change character motivations or positions relative to the plot (and in some cases move their deaths to suit the show narrative), and bring in some new story threads. I would broadly say they change everything for the better. They're intending to finish with six seasons though and they've introduced significant elements from books 7-9 into the finale of Season 5 so it'll be interesting to see where they go. 

I would say it's a better television series than novels so far. The writing quality for books 6-8 drastically pick up tho, imo.

Right, i read one book (the second or third i think) and couldn't quite pick out where it was in the show, despite recognising lots of bits. 

I thought the book was ok too, but obviously written with adaptation in mind. There does seem more character to the tv series though. 

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Watched Capital in the 21st Century last night.

Great documentary. A good eye opener on where we're going as a society again. We're back to the 1% owning 70%.

Good shout, reminds me to go back and watch the rest. I got about 1/3 of the way through and nodded off. No sleight on the film because i'd started watching it at about 1am after a couple of whiskies.

I enjoyed the book. Hope they did the usual thing of making the ending more upbeat for the film. 

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

Good shout, reminds me to go back and watch the rest. I got about 1/3 of the way through and nodded off. No sleight on the film because i'd started watching it at about 1am after a couple of whiskies.

I enjoyed the book. Hope they did the usual thing of making the ending more upbeat for the film. 

I had no idea it was based on a book...it seemed like a pretty well done documentary. 

I may have to get said book. Thanks for this revelation!

27 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I had no idea it was based on a book...it seemed like a pretty well done documentary. 

I may have to get said book. Thanks for this revelation!

It's a good bit drier than the film but is probably the highest profile work in economics this century. 

Right, i read one book (the second or third i think) and couldn't quite pick out where it was in the show, despite recognising lots of bits. 
I thought the book was ok too, but obviously written with adaptation in mind. There does seem more character to the tv series though. 

IIRC it actually started as a D&D style game which explains why Holden is so annoying (he’s a Paladin) and why one of the crew is pretty unceremoniously killed off really early. I’m not sure at what point it just became a book.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if already mentioned but loved Wayne on Prime. Like Cobra Kai, I think it was a YouTube production and it had elements of that, Stranger Things and End of the f@@@@@@ world. Two Bostonian teens with chaotic home lives go on a road trip. Dark family drama/black comedy/cartoon-level violence. 

It has that sort of timeless fairytale quality where it’s all mix of retro and modern without being too time-specific. Great tunes, even better hair and plenty of scenery chewing. 

Not sure if already mentioned but loved Wayne on Prime. Like Cobra Kai, I think it was a YouTube production and it had elements of that, Stranger Things and End of the f@@@@@@ world. Two Bostonian teens with chaotic home lives go on a road trip. Dark family drama/black comedy/cartoon-level violence. 

It has that sort of timeless fairytale quality where it’s all mix of retro and modern without being too time-specific. Great tunes, even better hair and plenty of scenery chewing. 
I really enjoyed Wayne. Had echoes of The End of The Fucking World, and I'd be happy to see the story continue.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone been watching Invincible? It's an adaptation from a Robert Kirkman comic series (he of walking dead fame) about a young superhero.

I seen the trailer a few months and immediately wanted to see the finished show. The animation and style looks great and the VA cast is just ridiculous (Steven Yuen, JK Simmons, Mark Hamill etc)

If you like the boys and similar shows you will love this.

On 01/04/2021 at 05:00, Don Diego De la Vega said:

I've been working my way through the Shield, almost finished season 4,  enjoying it even though i keep thinking its a poor mans Wire. as mentioned before Walton Goggins is a fantastic actor. 

It's a bit of a one trick pony.   The tension just keeps building and building.   Nowhere near the scope of The Wire.   That said, stick with it.  The final season is flat out incredible.  Easily the best of the lot.  You'll want to watch it all in one sitting.

The guy who plays Vic Mackey sings big band music in his spare time, but seems like pretty decent bloke despite that.  He's absolutely great in The Shield.  

On 01/04/2021 at 04:00, Don Diego De la Vega said:

I've been working my way through the Shield, almost finished season 4,  enjoying it even though i keep thinking its a poor mans Wire. as mentioned before Walton Goggins is a fantastic actor. 

To me it's better than The Wire.

For all its social justice messaging The Wire is still absolutely desperate for you to recognise the cops, politicians, journalists and Omar as good people. The Shield basically just says here are some horrible people doing horrible things. 

The Shield also seems far fetched but is a clear reaction to the War on Terror and the LAPD scandal. The Wire is just a liberal fantasy.

On 03/04/2021 at 05:20, Detournement said:

To me it's better than The Wire.

For all its social justice messaging The Wire is still absolutely desperate for you to recognise the cops, politicians, journalists and Omar as good people. The Shield basically just says here are some horrible people doing horrible things. 

The Shield also seems far fetched but is a clear reaction to the War on Terror and the LAPD scandal. The Wire is just a liberal fantasy.

Both good but Southland was better.