Amazon Prime

Savage Henry

Guest JTS98

I recently used my Amazon Prime free month to watch all of The Man in the High Castle. One of the best things I've ever watched. I read the book years ago so had an idea what was going on. But I can see why it would be a bit confusing if you're not familiar with the book. It's a very slow burner where a lot of what is going on takes a long time to be explained, but I thought it was really excellent.

Also watched a couple of series of The Americans, which is easy enough binge tv. For all that the storyline, Russian agents living in Cold War USA as normal citizens and doing spy stuff while living /normal' lives, seems preposterous, it is actually based on a real soviet initiative called the Illegals Program, that did exist.

Really enjoyed both of these, especially The Man in the High Castle, which I can't recommend enough. After that, however, I found there wasn't really enough else to make me want to actually pay for Prime, so I've binned it.

Interestingly, this was my second time doing the free month. I initially did it at least a couple of years ago and decided to chance my arm by signing up again and seeing if it worked. It did. I might try it again in a month or two to see if I can just keep repeating this.

Edited by JTS98

On 05/06/2020 at 18:16, ali_91 said:

I finished the last three today since I had the day off and enjoyed it right through. Did think it was a bit slow as well, but liked the characters so could put up with the pace more easily. Agree that everything built up nicely, with several of the characters slowly unravelling. 

We finished this last night, really enjoyed it as well. Acting was excellent, Reese Witherspoon and Kerry Washington were obviously the standouts, but the lassie that played Izzy was really good too (as was everyone in fairness). Not sure if it's because the subjects of racial and wealth inequality are so prevalent just now, or just because the writing and performance were so good (probably a bit of both), but I can't remember hating a character like Witherspoon's as much as I did in this. There have been plenty of spiteful, vindictive, tone-deaf, selfish, control freak characters in TV over the years, but I really, really fucking hated her. Great show.

• 2 weeks later...

Been rewatching Buffy The Vampire Slayer on Prime. Some decent seasons and some absolutely cracking individual episodes. 

The Wish ,  Doppelgangland , Hush and The Body are all excellent and the later The Gift

The all-singing episode , Once More With Feeling is far better than it should be. 

Also one of the best theme tunes going.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/02/2020 at 05:18, Savage Henry said:

Not very good at searching for things so starting a thread for Amazon Prime based shows.

This week I am mostly watching Hunters, which is placed somewhere between Stranger Things and Taxi Driver. It’s about a group of Jews who hunt down and violently kill former Nazis.

Well, I am waiting for the Boys Season 2 on Amazon Prime. Moreover, I am outside of US, so I would be using Ivacy Amazon Prime VPN to watch it but it's worth the extra money. The Boys Season 2 trailer was just Amazing! What are your thoughts about it? Have you watched it? 

Edited by BillyEd

Feel there should be a PSA on this thread to watch The Expanse if you've got Prime. I watched it as a cleanser for the last season of Game of Thrones and am probably gonna rewatch once I make my way through the books. Superb sci-fi.

• 2 weeks later...

Made it to the end of Carnival Row, which is clearly being lined up for series 2.

It looked great, and some of it is terrific - Jarred Harris for one.   Some of the CGI is ropey, and it’s as predictable as heck.  Orlando Bloom is a poundshop Johnny Depp and is pretty wooden.

A solid 5/10 time waster.  Would watch again.

18 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Made it to the end of Carnival Row, which is clearly being lined up for series 2.

It looked great, and some of it is terrific - Jarred Harris for one.   Some of the CGI is ropey, and it’s as predictable as heck.  Orlando Bloom is a poundshop Johnny Depp and is pretty wooden.

A solid 5/10 time waster.  Would watch again.

I plan on finish the Last Ship then given this a go 

5 hours ago, ajwffc said:

I plan on finish the Last Ship then given this a go 

As I say, it’s not great, but it’s passable.  There’s certainly enough there to get you through the entire series.

Started Death in Leon, which is lazily described as “the Spanish Making a Murderer”, despite having nothing in common with it whatsoever.  About three quarters of the way through the first episode, this turns from a fairly run-of-the-mill true crime documentary into a, “that can’t possibly be true” headfuck.  I can’t wait to sit down for the next episode.

• 3 weeks later...

Bit late to the party, but we’ve been watching the first season of The Man In The High Castle.  It’s becoming a bit daft towards the end, and the guy with the glasses has precisely one facial (a slightly bewildered, sad look that passes for every emotion he’s supposed to show) but there’s some brilliance in it too.  The Japanese Trade Minister, and the Nazi security folk are just terrific.  

Bit late to the party, but we’ve been watching the first season of The Man In The High Castle.  It’s becoming a bit daft towards the end, and the guy with the glasses has precisely one facial (a slightly bewildered, sad look that passes for every emotion he’s supposed to show) but there’s some brilliance in it too.  The Japanese Trade Minister, and the Nazi security folk are just terrific.  

The show really only sustains itself off the back of a few brilliant performances and subplots namely, imo, the Trade Minister, John Smith and Inspector Kido. Joe Blake felt like dead weight as a character for a long time and Juliana Crain spends a lot of time doing nothing but scuppering whichever plot she’s been included in.

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

The show really only sustains itself off the back of a few brilliant performances and subplots namely, imo, the Trade Minister, John Smith and Inspector Kido. Joe Blake felt like dead weight as a character for a long time and Juliana Crain spends a lot of time doing nothing but scuppering whichever plot she’s been included in.

Yup.  It’s really overblown, with the same plot devices used repeatedly - people changing roles at the last moment, and people’s actions being mirrored.   There are a number of huge contrivances which just look lazy - like the burned out body in the car putting everyone off the scent.  That said, I’ve made it to episode ten, so I may as well continue.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi, documentary about a tiny Sushi restaurant in a Tokyo tube station. It's got 3 Michelin stars and costs £300 for the set menu of about 20 dishes. Barack Obama went there straight from the airport. Still run by 94 year old Jiro Ono who pretends to do all the preparation. He stares at you while you eat. On my bucket list.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi, documentary about a tiny Sushi restaurant in a Tokyo tube station. It's got 3 Michelin stars and costs £300 for the set menu of about 20 dishes. Barack Obama went there straight from the airport. Still run by 94 year old Jiro Ono who pretends to do all the preparation. He stares at you while you eat. On my bucket list.

No longer open to public reservations unfortunately and lost its Michelin stars because of that reason. Never actually watched the documentary though but I’ve heard it’s interesting