Buenos Aires/Rio in October

Burnie_man

Looking to head out for 8-10 days or so in October.

Probably split equally between the two, and getting in a few games of fitba in each.

Plan at the moment is to fly into BA, then flight upto Rio, then back from there.

Any tips, recommendations etc most welcome. 

On 21/02/2020 at 11:53, Burnie_man said:

Probably split equally between the two, and getting in a few games of fitba in each.

Plan at the moment is to fly into BA, then flight upto Rio, then back from there.

Hi there.

Spent time in South America last year so quite fresh in the memory. I’d definitely push for 10+ days, if 8 I’d be inclined to maybe just do one of the city’s and something closer by. Far too much to see and do between the two city’s. I’d suggest, if possible, throwing in Iguazú Falls as well for a couple of days between the two city’s. Id say 4/5 nights at each would be fine but you won’t have many days just soaking in the atmosphere with a cold one! Really depends what you want to see and do I suppose. 

Let me know if you want to know anything specific. When you have a set time booked I’ll try help out as much as I can. 

Both city’s are incredible - you’ll have a great time.

Edited by wee_bairn

On 21/02/2020 at 11:53, Burnie_man said:

I've been in both but spent longer in Rio.  In Buenos Aires we did a bus trip round the city as we really only had a day's stopover. 

Last year we went to Rio after a 2 day trip to Iguassu Falls; the falls are spectacular and there are over 150 different ones - more in the wet season.  We only saw it from the Argentinian side but it was a good visit.  It gets very busy and is a bit of a trek out to the falls themselves but the view points are great.   The falls were used in one of the bond films, Moonraker. 

We then spent 3 days in Rio and used a tour guide for part of the time.   He took us to Sugar Loaf Mountain, Christ the Redeemer - again the views from both are fantastic.   Part of Moonraker was also filmed on Sugar Loaf Mountain. 

We also stopped outside the Maracana, went to the Sao Christobel Cathedral, the Coloured Steps and stopped where the Mardi Gras parades take place.  You can ask the guides to include visits to specific places you want to see as well.    It was not cheap but when you consider the time we would have wasted finding our way about Rio, waiting on public transport and standing in queues it was worth the cost.  At Christ the Redeemer the guides can join a fast track queue and if they get to the front of it before your scheduled time you gat to the top earlier than your allocated time.   We went up late in the day so saw it in the light and also in the dark, so that is worthwhile considering. 

We stayed in a hotel on Copacabana Beach and hired bikes when there as well.  The next beach along from Copacabana  is Ipanema Beach which is famous for the Frank Sinatra song. 

There's loads to do and see in Rio - we only saw a small part of it in our time there.   

I llived/worked in Rio with so little time as has been suggested get some tours sorted out via your hotel.I would highly recommend having a meal in the middle station on sugarloaf and take the train up to the statue of christ its much more fun than the drive and your ticket also includes entry to skip the queues.Stay close to the copa theres nicer places to stay (barra bahai) but as a short stay tourist its probably the best option.The best feijoada (black bean stew) is in a place on the copa in the wee beach hut bars and its even better washed down with a can of skol 360

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/02/2020 at 16:12, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Got a coupla pals in Rio but, unless yer into Brazil's burgeoning art noise scene,

Any album/band recommendations? Big fan of Tropicalia and other Brazilian music that came after it till late 70s.