Henry McLeish

DukDukGoose

I don't really understand the problem here. I get sent to Germany every two years with my work and you can guaran-fucking-tee it I'll be eating and drinking on company money, yet when football directors do the same its apparently out of order. I'd be filling my puss with as much schnitzel and German lager you could fit in.
Exactly. If your job requires you to be away from home then it's normal to get meals and refreshments on expenses. If those expenses are out of hand, fair enough it's an issue, but having a meal and a couple of beers at your hotel is fine.

Travelling for work has its advantages and disadvantages. You can be away from family for a while and can end up having to catch up with your work either side of it, but one of the benefits is the free meals and drinks.

59 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Exactly. If your job requires you to be away from home then it's normal to get meals and refreshments on expenses. If those expenses are out of hand, fair enough it's an issue, but having a meal and a couple of beers at your hotel is fine.

Travelling for work has its advantages and disadvantages. You can be away from family for a while and can end up having to catch up with your work either side of it, but one of the benefits is the free meals and drinks.

Spot on.  When I was a grad I quite enjoyed the odd jolly to London.  Bit of work, then some peace later at night where you can enjoy (reasonable) expenses.  Exciting and new when you're young and don't have too many commitments, but nowadays I'd much rather be at home with family than get a few "free" meals that you pay for with extra work and travel.

Don't see the furore either - as long as they're spending in line with whatever expense policy they have, it'd be weirder if they didn't get spotted taking advantage of it.

37 minutes ago, forameus said:

Spot on.  When I was a grad I quite enjoyed the odd jolly to London.  Bit of work, then some peace later at night where you can enjoy (reasonable) expenses.  Exciting and new when you're young and don't have too many commitments, but nowadays I'd much rather be at home with family than get a few "free" meals that you pay for with extra work and travel.

Don't see the furore either - as long as they're spending in line with whatever expense policy they have, it'd be weirder if they didn't get spotted taking advantage of it.

When I were a lad, a few from our company (a large multi-national) were based at another companies offices 100 miles away during the week as we were taking them over.  Sunday night to Thursday night, hame after work on Friday.  All expenses paid and we tanned the hotel bar every night, the  bar bill alone was over £400 a week for 3 months, and this was early 1990's.  Even got the Chef at the hotel to source a proper haggis to feed to my Sassenach colleagues one night as we'd eaten our way through the menus several times.

After the assignment finished, the company expenses rules were changed.......

I don't really understand the problem here. I get sent to Germany every two years with my work and you can guaran-fucking-tee it I'll be eating and drinking on company money, yet when football directors do the same its apparently out of order. I'd be filling my puss with as much schnitzel and German lager you could fit in.
I'm making the assumption that you are competent in said job. Perhaps you aren't, perhaps your fucking useless- who knows. My point is the SFA are useless self serving clique like b*****ds