Henry McLeish

DukDukGoose

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I sat next to him on a train 2 years ago. From Kirkcaldy to Edinburgh.

You posted about that on here at the time didn't you? Or maybe it was your pall MozzaMozza? 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Thought he was deid when I saw the thread title.

I was certain he died years ago. This must be fake news. 

33 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Easy to say things aren't great. Any idiot could do that. The ideas he came up with years ago were fuckin's shite though tbf.

Exactly - the McLeish report was the biggest load of cr@p I've read (and I did read it all, saddo that I was at the time).

He was perfectly happy to back 10-team SPL.

He was perfectly happy to advocate only 2 national divisions of 10-10 (later 10-12) and 'B' teams at tier 3.

He was perfectly happy to be rolled-out the day before the vote on Rangers fate to say clubs "had" to put them straight into SFL1 or the game was doomed.

He was perfectly happy to be rolled-out the day before the vote on 12-12 > 8-8-8 league to say clubs "had" to back it or the game was doomed.

While he makes good points: it's a bit rich to now feel the top brass - whose system of limited, SPFL-centric "seats of power" he proposed btw - aren't listening and have "let him down".

If we'd gone 12-12 > 8-8-8 with Leagues 1 and 2 turned into regional creches for the old firm, I'm sure all current Scotland players would be about 15% better and we'd be getting ready to tear up the Euros this summer though, let's admit it.

Clubs like Stranraer should really be taking a long hard look at themselves.

Edited by Gordon EF

4 hours ago, Northboy said:

Exactly - the McLeish report was the biggest load of cr@p I've read (and I did read it all, saddo that I was at the time).

He's right though

If we're relying on the big clubs we're fucked

Rangers fielded a total of zero eligible Scots last night

I think McLeish did make a few important points that need to be acted on if the National team are ever to be a force again .

He says SFA are not fit for purpose with a committee system 40 years out of date .
 What exactly does Ian Maxwell do but grovel at the feet of the Premier League clubs , he was too frightened to even ask the clubs to move fixtures to help Steve Clark prepare for Israel . As for our grandly titled President Petrie , does anyone know what he actually does or has done to benefit Scottish football, has anyone heard him speak or set eyes on him since he took up the post ,does he even exist or is he a cardboard cutout?

Heard him on the radio for a bit. Made a few good comments particularly around the people running the game at the top being stuck in the 1950’s. Whilst Strachan is a good manager he was held accountable for poor results. The people who employed him have never been held to account for a bad decision amongst many others 

I think McLeish did make a few important points that need to be acted on if the National team are ever to be a force again .
He says SFA are not fit for purpose with a committee system 40 years out of date .
 What exactly does Ian Maxwell do but grovel at the feet of the Premier League clubs , he was too frightened to even ask the clubs to move fixtures to help Steve Clark prepare for Israel . As for our grandly titled President Petrie , does anyone know what he actually does or has done to benefit Scottish football, has anyone heard him speak or set eyes on him since he took up the post ,does he even exist or is he a cardboard cutout?

I saw Petrie in Dortmund in 2014 before the Germany game. Him and his cronies were stuffing their faces and drinking beers in the team hotel day of match. All on the company dime id imagine.
The SFA are a waste of space. 20 years of abject failure at our national game. Of course nothing will change if the people don't vote with their feet by stopping going and wearing these silly hats

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I saw Petrie in Dortmund in 2014 before the Germany game. Him and his cronies were stuffing their faces and drinking beers in the team hotel day of match. All on the company dime id imagine.

I don't really understand the problem here. I get sent to Germany every two years with my work and you can guaran-fucking-tee it I'll be eating and drinking on company money, yet when football directors do the same its apparently out of order. I'd be filling my puss with as much schnitzel and German lager you could fit in.