Nations League - Part 2

Draw for this is a week on Tuesday (3rd March) at 5pm UK time. Scotland are in pot 2 in League B meaning we will get a team from each of pots 1, 3 and 4 below:

Pot 1: Russia, Austria, Wales, Czech Republic 
Pot 2: Scotland, Norway, Serbia, Finland 
Pot 3: Slovakia, Turkey, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland 
Pot 4: Bulgaria, Israel, Hungary, Romania

Fixtures are played September, October and November 2020. 

https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/news/0258-0e2bb376a99e-1984c4ff291f-1000--2020-21-uefa-nations-league/

The playoffs for World Cup qualification will change this time so it'll be 2 rounds which are made up of 10 runners up from the normal World Cup qualifying groups plus the 2 best Nations League group winners with the 3 winning teams from this qualifying for the World Cup along with the 10 qualifying group winners. 

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

If we avoid drug cheats Russia (and preferably Turkey too) then there's no reason we can't look at getting promoted again.

I thought this as soon as I saw the pots.  With them fucking about with the top tier, a lot of the really nightmarish sides have gone up to the top tier, leaving behind a huge load of sides that are all much of a muchness.  Pot 2 in that late is probably pretty fair, and its hard to see anyone in pots 3 and 4 we should be really scared of.  Just a lot of teams that could give us a decent game.  Pot 1 is all about avoiding Turkey and Russia, getting Wales, and making sure we get sweet revenge on the sheep-shagging, leek-munching, Simian-Bale-loving, we-hate-England-more-than-you-ing c***s.

10 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

So they changed their minds about relegating teams from a then , so Germany didn’t go down

They decided to scrap the 3-team pools in Divisions A & B which was the right decision given odd numbers, tbf.

As a result all relegations were void... an extra 4 teams were promoted from C into B... and an extra 5 teams were promoted from D into C (note 5 not 4 as our pool in C last campaign was also of 3-teams).

So going forward all pools in Divisions A, B and C will have 4 teams, and there'll be hardly anyone in D - next campaign it will have only 7 teams split across a pair of pools. They should have put them in 1 big pool each playing 3 home/3 away but it's not the case.

As only 2 teams will be promoted from D into C there will be a pair of relegation playoffs involving the quartet of bottom sides in C... They will be 2-legged and held in March of 2022 :lol:!

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

They decided to scrap the 3-team pools in Divisions A & B which was the right decision given odd numbers, tbf.

As a result all relegations were void... an extra 4 teams were promoted from C into B... and an extra 5 teams were promoted from D into C (note 5 not 4 as our pool in C last campaign was also of 3-teams).

So going forward all pools in Divisions A, B and C will have 4 teams, and there'll be hardly anyone in D - next campaign it will have only 7 teams split across a pair of pools. They should have put them in 1 big pool each playing 3 home/3 away but it's not the case.

As only 2 teams will be promoted from D into C there will be a pair of relegation playoffs involving the quartet of bottom sides in C... They will be 2-legged and held in March of 2022 :lol:!

I think long-term is means that only 3 playoffs will be needed for the Euros. Pot D (rightly) will be ignored.

The spare slot will go to the host nation.

9 hours ago, forameus said:

I thought this as soon as I saw the pots.  With them fucking about with the top tier, a lot of the really nightmarish sides have gone up to the top tier, leaving behind a huge load of sides that are all much of a muchness.  Pot 2 in that late is probably pretty fair, and its hard to see anyone in pots 3 and 4 we should be really scared of.  Just a lot of teams that could give us a decent game.  Pot 1 is all about avoiding Turkey and Russia, getting Wales, and making sure we get sweet revenge on the sheep-shagging, leek-munching, Simian-Bale-loving, we-hate-England-more-than-you-ing c***s.

Turkey are in pot 3 not pot 1, the pots are in the first post on the thread. 

Perhaps you meant Austria

I'd take, Wales, Northern Ireland and Israel.

No doubt we will end up with, Russia, Serbia and  romania :(

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

If we avoid drug cheats Russia (and preferably Turkey too) then there's no reason we can't look at getting promoted again.

Didn't we just get humped by a really shit Kazakhstan team 3-0? Weren't we awful in Israel and lost 2-1? Aren't the only teams we've beaten in competitive matches since October 2017, stretching back 15 games, San Marino, Albania, Cyprus, Kazakhstan and Israel? Don't we have a central defence that makes serious forwards burst out laughing, and do we have any forwards better than a guy at the worst team in the Scottish Premiership?

Every team in Pots 1 and 3 are ranked higher than us, as is one of the teams in Pot 4.

Alright, I've cherry-picked the worst factoids, we're capable at times of not being dugshite and we have one excellent and several decent players we can pick, but still, I'll settle for avoiding finishing bottom. 

10 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Didn't we just get humped by a really shit Kazakhstan team 3-0? Weren't we awful in Israel and lost 2-1? Aren't the only teams we've beaten in competitive matches since October 2017, stretching back 15 games, San Marino, Albania, Cyprus, Kazakhstan and Israel? Don't we have a central defence that makes serious forwards burst out laughing, and do we have any forwards better than a guy at the worst team in the Scottish Premiership?

Every team in Pots 1 and 3 are ranked higher than us, as is one of the teams in Pot 4.

Alright, I've cherry-picked the worst factoids, we're capable at times of not being dugshite and we have one excellent and several decent players we can pick, but still, I'll settle for avoiding finishing bottom. 

You should hang out with kenny

42 minutes ago, GordonS said:

The huge difference is that I support the team whether they're shite or not. In fact, the reason that dangleberry hates the national team only makes me like them more.

Yeah I know what your saying.

The fact the teams around us in those groups are ranked higher for me doesn't equate to them being superior tho.

We can only really judge our team on the recent steve Clarke performances. Which are an improvement on the likes of getting pumped by Kazakhstan. Perhaps I'm an eternal optimist, but if the draws favourable I can see us doing well.

2 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Yeah I know what your saying.

The fact the teams around us in those groups are ranked higher for me doesn't equate to them being superior tho.

We can only really judge our team on the recent steve Clarke performances. Which are an improvement on the likes of getting pumped by Kazakhstan. Perhaps I'm an eternal optimist, but if the draws favourable I can see us doing well.

There are undoubted signs of recovery, but while we're less than a year from by far the worst Scotland result and performance I've ever seen (and Lord knows there's competition for that), and we've not beaten anyone decent in quite a while, I'm not joining the "Nations League A, here we come" gang just yet.

FWIW on another thread you'll find me positing a way that Scotland makes it to the quarter finals of Euro 2020. I'm inconsistent. A bit like... 

8 hours ago, GordonS said:

You can cherry pick all the negative stuff you want, but in spite of all that we finished 3rd in our qualifying group and had the best record of any of the sides in League C last time out in the Nations League. Those other sides are ranked below us in the Nations League for a reason - ie because their results were even worse than ours.

Of course those are the only sides we've beaten in competitive matches in that time period - they're the only ones we've played aside from World Cup quarter-finalists Russia and Belgium.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

You can cherry pick all the negative stuff you want, but in spite of all that we finished 3rd in our qualifying group and had the best record of any of the sides in League C last time out in the Nations League. Those other sides are ranked below us in the Nations League for a reason - ie because their results were even worse than ours.

Of course those are the only sides we've beaten in competitive matches in that time period - they're the only ones we've played aside from World Cup quarter-finalists Russia and Belgium.

There's also a qualifier against Slovenia, but yes, you're right.

Has to be said, the defeats to Kazakhstan and Israel are very big cherries.