lost buildings/ structures.

Ylf

I saw someone mention the huge granary buildings that were on the Clyde at Meadowside. Huge buildings that came down a few years ago to be replaced by modern flats.

gdq_lnIuVdA5IGOdw6uflEgIFYsNuvhCiC_RH3AX

A convenient graphic showing when each part of the structure was completed. However, this particular area is interesting as this is what came before it was a granary:

meadowside_500.jpg

Meadowside Park, the home of Partick Thistle from 1897 until 1908 when the owners of the land decided freight and goods were more profitable than fitba. After leaving Meadowside Thistle would play home games at Ibrox until Firhill was opened in 1909. 

7 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

I saw someone mention the huge granary buildings that were on the Clyde at Meadowside. Huge buildings that came down a few years ago to be replaced by modern flats.

gdq_lnIuVdA5IGOdw6uflEgIFYsNuvhCiC_RH3AX

A convenient graphic showing when each part of the structure was completed. However, this particular area is interesting as this is what came before it was a granary:

meadowside_500.jpg

Meadowside Park, the home of Partick Thistle from 1897 until 1908 when the owners of the land decided freight and goods were more profitable than fitba. After leaving Meadowside Thistle would play home games at Ibrox until Firhill was opened in 1909. 

Thistle's big team found....

A couple from Sauchiehall Street:

Pettigrew's department store.

dT7yUMN.jpg

xNdw2H5.jpg

ZmQzSm9.jpg

The first 2 pictures are facing South-East, and the last picture is facing South-West. You can see how the buildings met each other with the lower neo-classical central section joining either corner unit.

Here's the current architectural triumph on that site:

Sauchiehall Street Centre STREETVIEW

16 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

The old Overgate Centre in Dundee.

1.Overgate6July1987.jpg

It was a shit hole but in many ways i preferred it to what's there now.

Screenshot_20200227_081132_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.aecb582c27d31b26f72ce66446470088.jpg

That's quite possibly my great gran and great grandad. The poor old c**t hated shopping and looks like he's given up and is now contemplating the bridge whilst she's saying there's still time to go round the shops one last time. 

2 hours ago, Dele said:

Screenshot_20200227_081132_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.aecb582c27d31b26f72ce66446470088.jpg

That's quite possibly my great gran and great grandad. The poor old c**t hated shopping and looks like he's given up and is now contemplating the bridge whilst she's saying there's still time to go round the shops one last time. 

Dele's great gran was the ripe old age of 37 in this picture. 

1 hour ago, Ylf said:

remember hearing that. at least they got a use for them emoji106.png

Am I talking bollocks or did St Johnstone buy some of the seats from Ibrox for McDiarmid Park when Rangers installed all blue seats? 

When Pars had to rip up the plastic pitch we got the turf that was meant to be getting laid at Wembley (but the building works were delayed). 

13 hours ago, .Stuart. said:

IMG_2521.jpgIMG_2520.jpgIMG_2522.jpgIMG_2519.jpg

Christ, I had no idea the Magnum had closed - it's a wake-up call when you remember it opening FORTY FECKING YEARS AGO, as well! Lost my first contact lenses in the pool, as I'd not remembered to pick them out before diving in.

Used to be a regular Friday night for us, with an hour of curling, hour of fives, and the rest of the night down the Harbour Bar (Inn?). Went to the cinema here a few times with school when they showed stuff a bit more cultural than the Odeon/ABC in Killie, and saw Thin Lizzy with Gorham and White on Guitars - shite venue for a gig, but what a great band!