lost buildings/ structures.

Ylf

On the subject of towers, exhibitions, and Glasgow - has anyone ever been up that Science Centre tower, and does the thing actually work these days? I know Google is my friend and all that, but I’m a lazy sod. Just wondered if any P&Bers have actually been up the damn thing, and did they need the services of the Fire & Rescue folks to get them back down, ten hours later. Has there ever been such a fcuking useless piece of shit appear in Glasgow, aside from the Old Firm clubs?

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Jesus one look at that the smell just came rushing back to me. Fag smoke, diesel exhausts, chlorine and warm rubber in the sunshine.

Off the train from The Ferry,across the bridge,and straight into The Club Bar back in the 70s.

4 hours ago, Ylf said:

sure for access to tay road bridge. probably would’ve been saved nowadays

Bit of a minter building anything to commemorate 'royalty' gracing our city with a visit. Much like Park Avenue having the fronts of the houses done up before the queen passed through. Glad it's gone.

ETA: Park Avenue, not Baxter Park Terrace.

Edited by RawB93

Bit of a minter building anything to commemorate 'royalty' gracing our city with a visit. Much like Baxter Park Terrace having the fronts of the houses done up before the queen passed through. Glad it's gone.

heard arran drive was built for royal visitors as well so they didn’t have to go through lochee 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

A decent excuse with the Tay Bridge I suppose.

It does seem though that Dundee has suffered more than most from this type of vandalism.

I would say Dundee got it a lot worse than Glasgow. Glasgow lost some fantastic gems like St Enoch's Hotel and station and of course was victim to one of the worst urban vandalisms of all time - the contraction of the M8 through the heart of Tradeston, Anderson, and Charing Cross. Absolutely criminal - particularly when considered that a tunnel was being considered at one point. I recall reading an article in the Evening Times praising the city's father's at the time for the brave decision to build the M8 through the heart of the city as there would have been no opportunity to pedestrianise Buchanan Street otherwise. Truly laughable and presumably some attempt to make a link and assist with the crumbling vote of Labour. 

Anyway, re Dundee, Brian Cox often has a rant about the damage done to the city by the authorities of the time. I seem to recall him saying that some (or maybe even one) on the council had financial links to a demolition business and hence the readiness to agree to demolish iconic and buildings that would now be listed.