lost buildings/ structures.

Ylf

On 27/02/2020 at 12:21, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Christ, I had no idea the Magnum had closed - it's a wake-up call when you remember it opening FORTY FECKING YEARS AGO, as well! Lost my first contact lenses in the pool, as I'd not remembered to pick them out before diving in.

Used to be a regular Friday night for us, with an hour of curling, hour of fives, and the rest of the night down the Harbour Bar (Inn?). Went to the cinema here a few times with school when they showed stuff a bit more cultural than the Odeon/ABC in Killie, and saw Thin Lizzy with Gorham and White on Guitars - shite venue for a gig, but what a great band!

Same here, I had no idea it had closed never mind it had been demolished, mind you it's been 20 years since I last lived in Ayrshire.

Used to be a regular at the pool, did my best not to get battered at the ice skating disco, played fives many times, saw Scotland V Denmark play each other at badminton, even saw Fun Loving Criminals in concert as well as Oasis at the beach park, bumped into Christian Dailly at the Oasis gig.

The elevated walkway entrance felt like the future had arrived, might have to take a little drive down that way next time i'm over.

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

D3al1PNXkAMMmaI.jpg

Springburn Public Hall, which was listed but the council let get in such a derelict state that it had to be demolished.

The council are good at that. Often get panelled in private eye for not looking after architecturally beautiful buildings. 

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

D3al1PNXkAMMmaI.jpg

Springburn Public Hall, which was listed but the council let get in such a derelict state that it had to be demolished.

There's far too much of that goes on.

Image from object titled 'Northern Counties Hotel, Portrush, Antrim'

After one unsuccessful attempt by the owner at arson the second one worked Burned down in a mysterious fire.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/hotel-owner-accused-of-pounds-3m-arson-1564142.html

Edited by Jacksgranda

On 28/02/2020 at 07:36, tongue_tied_danny said:

You're thinking of the Wellgate...

1.TESCO+-+Wellgate+-+1980.jpg

This is what was there before the Wellgate was built...

16254598500_d438e6ac4c_n.jpg

Incidentally, it was Tesco who killed the Wellgate. When they relocated to the waterfront they paid for two more years lease to stop another supermarket moving in. The council grabbed the money but because the space sat empty, the Wellgate withered away to nothing. 

On 02/03/2020 at 09:47, NewBornBairn said:

Incidentally, it was Tesco who killed the Wellgate. When they relocated to the waterfront they paid for two more years lease to stop another supermarket moving in. The council grabbed the money but because the space sat empty, the Wellgate withered away to nothing. 

Tesco are good at doing that sort of thing. Some years back Midlothian council gave Tesco permission to build a new superstore on the local outskirts on condition that they kept the existing town centre store open as well. A few months after the new store opened Tesco closed down the existing store which in turn virtually ruined the local community. We ended up with a load of charity shops and hairdressers, and nowhere that sold even a bag of sugar! The old store was eventually reopened as a Lidl which was a bit of a disaster for a while as nobody had really heard of them at the time and their style of service with everything still in its packaging from the factory did not appeal to many of the locals. 
It is now a very long time since I and I suspect many locals have been in Tesco. As for the Lidl store, it is now hard to find a parking space in the car park as the store is always mobbed and rightly so.

On 03/03/2020 at 23:20, RH33 said:

I detest Lidl and Aldi. Find it stressful and genuinely anxiety porovoking.

I quite like them, they're usually quick at the check outs, the staff don't spend all day gossiping and you never know what they'll have on special offer.

8 hours ago, bennett said:

I quite like them, they're usually quick at the check outs, the staff don't spend all day gossiping and you never know what they'll have on special offer.

I get my shopping delivered. Saves having to interact with humans.

Io5fJTQH2AB1lGZ_VCIAUa78CH92iPm6vB7QdvU9

The old Co-Op in Alloa also. A wee story here...I visited this site before it's demolition. Not much to look at here but it was massive, at this end a 3 storey department store selling TVs, fridges and so on. Then it turned into a supermarket at the far end, and a clothes section at the other. The store had a weird Y shape to it. This facade isn't great - the one onto Drysdale street is fantastic though.

Anyway, they demolished this site from the far end towards this, expecting the facade you see here to fall backwards into the rubble. Then the guys noticed that it was tilting forwards (i.e. into the street you see here) and could have caused some problems!

Urgent propping up was needed before the effectively pushed the facade back.

1993-170-1-Public-baths.jpg

Motherwell baths.  Learned to swim here with the school.  Some of the best times ever was when I was 12 and we'd bike down to Motherwell on a Friday evening, go swimming and then go to the chip shop for a roll and chips (Marios? Can't remember the name, the chip shop is still there but it has a different name).  Simple times.

Was also looking for a picture of the big crane at Motherwell Bridge works but couldn't find one.  My gran used to live on Scotia Street and when I was a kid the crane seemed to tower massively over her house.  The stuff of awe!  If anyone has a picture of it stick it up.

• 1 month later...
On 19/02/2020 at 07:37, Ylf said:

following on from another thread regarding best buildings. i’ll start in dundee with the royal arch IMG_3670.jpg

Just seen this on the Courier website https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/nostalgia/1279417/cultural-vandalism-how-dundees-historic-city-centre-was-lost-during-the-demolition-happy-days-of-the-1960s/

Part 1 here https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/nostalgia/1276699/the-death-knell-sounded-55-years-ago-for-dundee-west-railway-station-with-demolition-of-gothic-masterpiece-described-as-tragic-loss/

Edited by greendot

2 hours ago, greendot said:

You could say that cultural vandalism hit just about every city,town and village in Scotland in the Sixties and Seventies. Paisley had a Gothic revival town hall and Police Station in County Square which was flattened for the “Piazza “ 😡