lost buildings/ structures.

Ylf

Image result for alloa primrose street

Spiers Centre in Alloa. As a kid I would swim there before it became offices, then a library. I visited there a few years ago for work and it is still magnificent inside with very decorative tiling, but the swimming pool shown here is long gone.

Queens' Park Terrace, Eglinton St (located between Devon Street and Turriff Street).

This was built between 1856 to 1860 and designed by Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, who was responsible for many of Glasgow's finest buildings.
Unfortunately, despite being A-listed it was allowed to fall into disrepair in the 1970s, eventually being demolished in 1981.

DWT9ymt.jpg

PcspRpR.jpg

r6yXUbG.jpg

I think we'd all agree that the current STREETVIEW adds a little more in the way of subtle class.

On 26/02/2020 at 15:36, Andy_K_97 said:

I saw someone mention the huge granary buildings that were on the Clyde at Meadowside. Huge buildings that came down a few years ago to be replaced by modern flats.

gdq_lnIuVdA5IGOdw6uflEgIFYsNuvhCiC_RH3AX

A convenient graphic showing when each part of the structure was completed. However, this particular area is interesting as this is what came before it was a granary:

meadowside_500.jpg

Meadowside Park, the home of Partick Thistle from 1897 until 1908 when the owners of the land decided freight and goods were more profitable than fitba. After leaving Meadowside Thistle would play home games at Ibrox until Firhill was opened in 1909. 

You could put this into the Photographic History thread as well: fantastic!       

2 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Near my work. Edinburgh Mwat Market, became the legendary Fat Sam's in the 80s. Original building knocked down, the frontage appeared a few hundred yards down the road. IMG_20200227_144119.jpeg

It was also the Americana disco before Fat Sams.

25FE98B3-D158-4E28-914F-E8E3F270F49E.jpeg

On 26/02/2020 at 16:02, tongue_tied_danny said:

The old Overgate Centre in Dundee.

1.Overgate6July1987.jpg

It was a shit hole but in many ways i preferred it to what's there now.

I must have gone there as a wee lad- perhaps when it first opened. my folks lived in Arbroath at the time and like Angus bumpkins were we lured by the glamour of Tesco's..

Does anyone remember the feature that had liquid running down from the ceiling? (Deliberately, not a leak!)

I must have gone there as a wee lad- perhaps when it first opened. my folks lived in Arbroath at the time and like Angus bumpkins were we lured by the glamour of Tesco's..
Does anyone remember the feature that had liquid running down from the ceiling? (Deliberately, not a leak!)

you not thinking of the wellgate? wellgate centre had some waterfall thing

I haven't lived there in over thirty years but I could spend hours looking at photos of old Dundee.  The Victorian and Edwardian photos are the most fascinating but even those that date from when I was a kid are interesting.

I've a couple of good sites bookmarked at https://www.francisfrith.com/uk/dundee/photos and ttp://www.leisureandculturedundee.com/photopolis

I've just realised that Francis Frith covers most towns and cities, so I'll maybe spend some time looking at old Stirling next (https://www.francisfrith.com/uk/stirling/photos).

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

You're thinking of the Wellgate...

1.TESCO+-+Wellgate+-+1980.jpg

This is what was there before the Wellgate was built...

16254598500_d438e6ac4c_n.jpg

On 26/02/2020 at 08:44, Arabdownunder said:

first-class-pool.jpg

Previous incarnation. Just called "the baths" .  Note the individual changing cubicles around the edge

I remember going there when in Primary school once a week or so.  It was in winter and absolutely freezing.  There used to be a big battle to be one of the lucky few who were able to get changed in the boiler room where it was cosy as f**k.  Happy Days! 

11 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

Aberdeen bus station and train station pre-Union Square.

91a3366c950e01ab2d0b9b2ac1abc63f.jpg

Bon Accord Baths.

Bon-Accord-Baths.jpg

Its still there but hasn't been open in years.

news_3146.jpg

St Nicholas House.  While Marshial Square, which replaced was controversial at least this eyesore has disappeared.

1/ What's there now? The last time I was in Aberdeen the bus station/train station combo was still there. (This would have been about 2000.)

2/ Used to hold the school swimming/diving display there.

3/ What??!!

12 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

Aberdeen bus station and train station pre-Union Square.

91a3366c950e01ab2d0b9b2ac1abc63f.jpg

That must be near the end.

Mind  being there around 25 years ago when a lassie from Belhelvie picked up a Big Issue seller and was sucking the face off him, in front of the patrons, before she bottled it and bolted when he rather loudly asked her to give him a gobble.

On 19/02/2020 at 18:52, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Different shots of the same stretch of Bridge Street in Inverness over the years. The Council have bought the concrete buildings on the left of the most recent pictures, so hopefully they will be demolished soon.

Am%20Baile.jpg

_101867004_blocksgoogle.jpg

Upper Bridge Street.

Ugly, brutal and, frankly, an embarrassment to the town.

Was anyone ever held accountable for this eyesore?