lost buildings/ structures.

Ylf

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Lovely short documentary, featuring Cumbernauld Town centre too. I recall Woolco there, building now demolished, and I think the Galbraiths Supermarket. But was it Galbraiths before or after Woolco? And were these meant to be penthouse flats in the new town centre, above Galbraiths?

Woolco.jpg

Galbraiths.jpg

Edit to say: the brutalist style of that period tends to remind me of airports, even though most have been modernised 'away' from that architectural style.

Edited by Dundee Hibernian
see comment

18 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

The only pro-Brutalism argument from that isn't a particularly strong one imo:

Brutalism.JPG.4a7e2f74e146c357369ee1356e9fd7c8.JPG

Edited by Hedgecutter

50 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Lovely short documentary, featuring Cumbernauld Town centre too. I recall Woolco there, building now demolished, and I think the Galbraiths Supermarket. But was it Galbraiths before or after Woolco? And were these meant to be penthouse flats in the new town centre, above Galbraiths?

Woolco.jpg

Galbraiths.jpg

Edit to say: the brutalist style of that period tends to remind me of airports, even though most have been modernised 'away' from that architectural style.

I remember being taken to Woolco as a "treat" .

On 23/02/2020 at 20:00, milton75 said:

I love this sort of thing as the "here's what might have been" is endlessly fascinating. It's why I've always thought I'd like alternative history or steampunk style novels, but I've never got my lazy arse around to reading anything like that.

For anyone else that likes this sort of thing I strongly recommend getting a copy of this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unbuilt-America-Forgotten-Architecture-1983-02-01/dp/B01FEKULOA/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=unbuilt+america&qid=1582486149&s=beauty&sr=8-2

Get the hardback, but obviously don't pay big bucks for it. If you set a search reminder on ebay or check every now and then on Amazon it can be had for a tenner. I'm tight as f-ck and always determined to never overpay.

xhlDe19.jpg

It's a fantastic book and filled with lovely sketches and drawings. There's a mix of failed competition entries from Architectural firms, concept art for city redevelopments, completed conceptual pie-in-the-sky stuff, and other proposals that simply didn't get off the ground because the political wind changed.

A few examples:

Elevated Sidewalk - cover to Scientific American 1913

aLxTzeY.jpg

Spiral Urban Hierarchies

E2uKzEw.jpg

How to survive the fallout

0GUvXla.jpg

And lastly, a proposed presidential summer retreat.

Ji3FOa0.jpg

When I look at your picture of the Spiral Urban Hierarchies I keep thinking of the old Whitfield Skarne blocks in Dundee

imageproxy.jpg

168e7b4d6dbfb0f246c43387df22d330.jpg

3519a695c2c9cb01dd4c566687e9ff30.jpg

0affe6cb570c06bc1a4bf3743e6e0b9e.jpg

19 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Reminds me of the (relatively) nearby proto-Carnegie Drive thoroughfare that was Reform Street.  Same place below ~50 years apart where you can (just) see that they kept a pub (currently Coady's):

Reform-Pilmuir.PNG.4bcc16f19ece37ee4e7be81ad2cb82d8.PNG 

I wonder if that's the same bus though?

Coadys in the 1980s used to put on strippers at lunchtime for the discerning Dunfermline gent. 

20 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Reminds me of the (relatively) nearby proto-Carnegie Drive thoroughfare that was Reform Street.  Same place below ~50 years apart where you can (just) see that they kept a pub (currently Coady's):

Reform-Pilmuir.PNG.4bcc16f19ece37ee4e7be81ad2cb82d8.PNG 

I wonder if that's the same bus though?

Must have shrunk in the wash.

It was criminal some of the demolition that went on (and still does).

5 hours ago, L'immortale Par said:

Coadys in the 1980s used to put on strippers at lunchtime for the discerning Dunfermline gent. 

I've been in Coady's a couple of times.  My wife's parents live 2 minutes away.

We went in about 5 o'clock on a Saturday evening before we were meeting the in laws for dinner in the old Luigi's (before it moved round the corner and became shite).  Everyone in there, including the bar staff appeared to be smashed off their tits and in full "here we fuckin go!" mode.

25 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

We went in about 5 o'clock on a Saturday evening before we were meeting the in laws for dinner in the old Luigi's (before it moved round the corner and became shite).  Everyone in there, including the bar staff appeared to be smashed off their tits and in full "here we fuckin go!" mode.

Last time I was in there I'd have been about 16, on a pub crawl for someone's 18th. Luigi's was a good place for birthday parties at high school age as you could order beer and wine with your dinner. 

19 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Woolco.jpg

Galbraiths.jpg

Were 2 different shops at opposite ends/sides of what is now the Antonine Centre. The penthouse flats were converted into small shops - remember going to a wee computer shop there. There's talk of converting them back.

Sticking with brutalism, I always liked this ugly brute in Poplar, East London. The flats were pretty cool inside. Maisonette type things. Big rooms and great views. 

1200px-Balfron_tower.jpg

The Marxist architect, Mr Erno Goldfinger, drew the ire of James Bond writer Ian Fleming, such was his dislike of Goldfinger's impact on the London skyline. Goldfinger was in turn raging at his name being used for a Bond villain. Probably even more raging now they've been turned into luxury flats. 

The Balfron Tower pops up in various films etc and look out for those flying passageways in the video to The Verve's This is Music. 

Edited by L'immortale Par

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I've been in pubs like that.

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

My one and only time in the place, some jakeball came out of the toilets internal gyro clearly fucked as he stumbled and cleared two tables full of drinks.

I feel like this thread could have been started with Kilmarnock in mind. So much great Victorian architecture thoughtlessly pulled down for brutalist boxes that now need pulled down themselves. I get that by the time the 60s came around the amount of traffic had increased to the point where something needed to be done, but they could have done a lot better in trying to preserve more old stuff without having to build such a depressing one-way system.

Take Duke Street, for example. A street that used to link the town cross to London Road, firstly shown in the early 20th Century and then in the late 60s/70s:

kilmarnock_kb_06.jpg

5C12Crb.jpg

Great sandstone buildings and a fine avenue that showed off the tower at the Palace Theatre. Torn down and replaced by the utterly soulless carbuncle that is the Burns Mall, named since Thomas Wilson's printing press on the left-hand side of the street was where The Kilmarnock Edition was first printed and published. Now it looks a bit like this:

Street view

What a shanner. 

On 24/02/2020 at 20:23, Dundee Hibernian said:

Lovely short documentary, featuring Cumbernauld Town centre too. I recall Woolco there, building now demolished, and I think the Galbraiths Supermarket. But was it Galbraiths before or after Woolco? And were these meant to be penthouse flats in the new town centre, above Galbraiths

I almost ended up staying in a flat above the Thistle centre in Stirling. It was an 8 student flat. I found a nicer place ..