lost buildings/ structures.

Ylf

I have to say this is my new favourite thread on P+B. Whilst I can appreciate the fine architecture on display, I much prefer the ugly / functional / brutalist edifices out there. One of my favourite still standing is this monstrosity in Glasgow's West End. I mean, WTF is this even supposed to be?

image.png.7c4e722fb76ae403682240b10075d38d.png

Street View

Without wanting to divert the thread too much, one of my favourite places to visit in Scotland was the abandoned 500-person village in Polphail in Polmadie. The story behind it is as interesting as the reason why they couldn't just pull it down. I could post my own photos but others are far better. Here are a couple.

2821578_orig.jpg

4652479889_bb15bcb068_z.jpg

This video sums it up well...

It's all gone now apparently, but here it is from street view

16 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I have to say this is my new favourite thread on P+B. Whilst I can appreciate the fine architecture on display, I much prefer the ugly / functional / brutalist edifices out there. One of my favourite still standing is this monstrosity in Glasgow's West End. I mean, WTF is this even supposed to be?

image.png.7c4e722fb76ae403682240b10075d38d.png

Street View

Without wanting to divert the thread too much, one of my favourite places to visit in Scotland was the abandoned 500-person village in Polphail in Polmadie. The story behind it is as interesting as the reason why they couldn't just pull it down. I could post my own photos but others are far better. Here are a couple.

2821578_orig.jpg

4652479889_bb15bcb068_z.jpg

This video sums it up well...

It's all gone now apparently, but here it is from street view

Yes it was flattened about 2 years ago to make way for housing and a distillery both of which have yet to happen.

I find this one (Wallace Tower) quite interesting in that the building is technically lost from Aberdeen city centre, but only because it was moved stone-by-stone to the edge of town (now the delightful Tillydrone).  Marks & Spencer footed the bill for this seeing as their store now sits on the original site.  

The_Wallace_Tower_(Aberdeen).jpg

I wonder if various Scottish cities / towns can swap some buildings for a bit of a laugh?

Steetview

3 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I much prefer the ugly / functional / brutalist edifices out there.

This now-demolished 1968-built complex is certainly no great loss to Aberdeen city centre, but I find it funny that pretty much all political / news programmes still have this in the backdrop behind people being interviewed from some studio/office in Aberdeen.

news_3902.jpg

Eta: Wallace Tower v1.3 centre-bottom.

Edited by Hedgecutter

On 19/02/2020 at 08:08, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I'm not sure I'm using this phrase in its usual context, but pics or GTFO. 

Here's mine. The Spider Bridge between Lenzie and Kirkintilloch - looked like a fucking death-trap. Pulled down in the 80s so went over it and lived to tell the tale. 

8050298179_59b176d2ab_b.jpg

4578482174_26ce7b9f54_b.jpg

I'm gutted I never saw this. Looks a death trap.

On 21/02/2020 at 23:37, aaa said:

Not so much lost but what could have been. Plans for Dundee waterfront.

thmsn01.jpg

I love this sort of thing as the "here's what might have been" is endlessly fascinating. It's why I've always thought I'd like alternative history or steampunk style novels, but I've never got my lazy arse around to reading anything like that.

For anyone else that likes this sort of thing I strongly recommend getting a copy of this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unbuilt-America-Forgotten-Architecture-1983-02-01/dp/B01FEKULOA/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=unbuilt+america&qid=1582486149&s=beauty&sr=8-2

Get the hardback, but obviously don't pay big bucks for it. If you set a search reminder on ebay or check every now and then on Amazon it can be had for a tenner. I'm tight as f-ck and always determined to never overpay.

xhlDe19.jpg

It's a fantastic book and filled with lovely sketches and drawings. There's a mix of failed competition entries from Architectural firms, concept art for city redevelopments, completed conceptual pie-in-the-sky stuff, and other proposals that simply didn't get off the ground because the political wind changed.

A few examples:

Elevated Sidewalk - cover to Scientific American 1913

aLxTzeY.jpg

Spiral Urban Hierarchies

E2uKzEw.jpg

How to survive the fallout

0GUvXla.jpg

And lastly, a proposed presidential summer retreat.

Ji3FOa0.jpg

8 hours ago, milton75 said:

And lastly, a proposed presidential summer retreat.

Ji3FOa0.jpg

The site for this is about 1/2 an hour from where I live. You can hike or mountain bike to it.

a0b1e75a-2151-4255-9cc4-0f57fc7a7945_750x422.jpgI

It would've had a cracking view. There's more information here, if you're interested.

What could have been the summer home for the president.

The pictures of abandoned designs above reminds me that the world-renowned Forth Bridge would have had a similar Thomas Bouch design to the original and somewhat flimsy Tay Bridge (pictured below) if the latter hadn't fallen down in 1879 (McGonagall / Granny Danger related  jokes incoming....) 

thomasbouch-450.jpg

The Bouch design for the FB was abandoned in in 1881 and I for one consider it to be rather impressive that they devised the new long-lasting design in just a year, with construction starting in 1882.  The fact that the three separately built segments joined up to the inch prior to the invention of the calculator is nothing short of remarkable.

80-there-1890-1500x926.png

Eta: On the subject of lost structures and Forth bridges:

The_Forth_Road_Bridge_-_Geograph_-_39636

Edited by Hedgecutter

On 19/02/2020 at 16:44, L'immortale Par said:

Now B&Q's car park, Dunfermline Upper station was a great venue for a tear up with other young rascals. 

Reminds me of the (relatively) nearby proto-Carnegie Drive thoroughfare that was Reform Street.  Same place below ~50 years apart where you can (just) see that they kept a pub (currently Coady's):

Reform-Pilmuir.PNG.4bcc16f19ece37ee4e7be81ad2cb82d8.PNG 

I wonder if that's the same bus though?

Edited by Hedgecutter