lost buildings/ structures.

Ylf

1 hour ago, Tony Ferrino said:

How much did that cost to build? And why?

According to Wikipedia, "somewhere between £2,270.00 and £3,000.00, mostly funded by public subscription and harbour trustees." It was to commemorate a visit from good Queen Vickie (Gawd bless 'er) who stopped by for some jam 5 years earlier. It was the first visit to Dundee by a British monarch since the 17th Century, although she often went through on her way to the But and Ben in Balmoral.

45 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

IMG_0006.jpg

emoji24.png

Was that photo taken at the end of that day when they hadn’t had a chance to filter out all the Dundonian pish form the pool?

Proper rapids btw, not like the new ones.

Edited by Melanius Mullarkey

https://www.amazon.co.uk/City-That-Disappeared-Demolished-Architecture/dp/0904002691

It's hugely expensive, I believe that it has doubled in price since my wife got me one for my 40th last year, but this book is an excellent account of some of the criminal damage done to Glasgow's architectural history.

fellow dundonian’s will remember this. council have made a right c**t of campie imo IMG_3677.thumb.jpg.ee44e53b1056c96f687332b7a99068c1.jpg

Sticking to the theme of Dundee kids attractions - remember Jungle Kids? There was a big f**k off gorilla head which towered above the entrance. Doesn’t seem to be any pictures online! I loved going there and when I was a kid.

18 hours ago, L'immortale Par said:

Now B&Q's car park, Dunfermline Upper station was a great venue for a tear up with other young rascals. 

8386863806_db646b05cf_b.jpg

I'd have loved to have arsed about there as a youngster*

*(adult)

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/City-That-Disappeared-Demolished-Architecture/dp/0904002691

It's hugely expensive, I believe that it has doubled in price since my wife got me one for my 40th last year, but this book is an excellent account of some of the criminal damage done to Glasgow's architectural history.

Great book!

I've got a copy too, as well as these ones, which are also worth a look:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vanishing-Glasgow-Through-Washington-Marzaroli/dp/1874078009

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Glasgow-History-Carol-Foreman/dp/1841582786

I may have posted these before, but the following pics came from Carol Foreman's Lost Glasgow and Frank Worsdall's The City That Disappeared.

The comments about the rioting always amused me.

3834WiF.jpg

AaI4Xci.jpg

I2KKHY6.jpg

I would personally like to reinstate these outside pulpits. They could be used on matchdays.

3 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

The good thing about photos is you don't get the stench of pish.

I worked for the company that built the new bridge at the time and the council specifically requested the new bridge to be open to the elements to deter beggars, buskers, etc.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

I'd have loved to have arsed about there as a youngster*

*(adult)

That place was just abandoned - desks and filing cabinets full of tat that could be used to smash windows etc and loads of good ammunition outside for pitched battles. West Fife had loads of old mine and rail buildings like that. Marie Celest-esque.