lost buildings/ structures.

Ylf

4 hours ago, pozbaird said:

On the subject of towers, exhibitions, and Glasgow - has anyone ever been up that Science Centre tower, and does the thing actually work these days? I know Google is my friend and all that, but I’m a lazy sod. Just wondered if any P&Bers have actually been up the damn thing, and did they need the services of the Fire & Rescue folks to get them back down, ten hours later. Has there ever been such a fcuking useless piece of shit appear in Glasgow, aside from the Old Firm clubs?

Me and my eldest were up it a couple of years ago.  It didn't swivel but the lift worked ok. Worth a look.

Good thread. It is crazy to see some of the architectural vandalism committed in cities which unfortunately seems to be continuing with glass monstrosities being thrown up all around glasgow.

Also crazy to see the design that went into buildings 100 plus years ago that were never intended to be permanent.

11 hours ago, Dele said:

blogger-image-1273704951.jpg.f2622c3e2fa4127d9db012e490ff20ad.jpg

A lifetime of memories, lost. 

I once spent a very uncomfortable night attempting to sleep in the walkway leading to the station when I missed the last train to Montrose after a UK Subs gig at The Mission on Ward Road.

Here's the Lochside Distillery. I used to walk past this every day. It's since been replaced by a featureless block of flats.

csm_view_from_the_steet__7bd2e53ac6034a2c39c34cdc09e1c37f_a43c1359d9.thumb.jpg.ab8fe410a5497be23e7376a6e381679a.jpg

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

9 hours ago, Fratelli said:

All quite well known stuff but whenever i see any of the old buildings from the Empire Exhibitions it blows my mind to think they were in Glasgow, particularly the Eastern Palace and Tait Tower. 

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 10.53.50.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 10.57.13.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 10.54.00.png

I'm sure I read somewhere that these were only made out of wood and other equally temporary type materials in order to get them up and back down quickly for the fair, and didn't have much in the way of internal structure? Must have been some sight to see though.

1 hour ago, Hauzen said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that these were only made out of wood and other equally temporary type materials in order to get them up and back down quickly for the fair, and didn't have much in the way of internal structure? Must have been some sight to see though.

Think that was the case aye. Although there's been talk over the years that the tower was meant to be permanent, but was pulled down to avoid it becoming a target/signpost after the war started, not sure if that's ever been confirmed mind. 

I've seen quite a lot of these for places in Glasgow, which is where I now live. I'll post up those, but if anyone has any of Stirling I'd also be interested to see them.

This one is looking across to Charing X, and the building at the end of Woodlands Road. The single story St George's Mall is a real loss with that ironwork.

Here's what's there now: STREETVIEW

St.-Georges-Road-Glasgow-1.jpg

10 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

What is/was this @Dele?

The walkway between the city centre (Tayside House) and the Olympia swimming. Constantly busy, filled with buskers (Pretty woman, walking down the street) and one toothed jakeys that liked to touch you up apparently. 

If there were cameras you could have made a very watchable TV program from there I reckon. 

11 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

There was another walkway nearby that went to the train station. A train station to rival Grand Central NYC imo.

0C13A2CF-49A2-4251-9D89-0D86C7B60017.jpeg

Pfft. The folk who frequented that had places to go, things to do. That's a cracking photo though and it's great to see how much has changed. 

11 hours ago, pozbaird said:

On the subject of towers, exhibitions, and Glasgow - has anyone ever been up that Science Centre tower, and does the thing actually work these days? I know Google is my friend and all that, but I’m a lazy sod. Just wondered if any P&Bers have actually been up the damn thing, and did they need the services of the Fire & Rescue folks to get them back down, ten hours later. Has there ever been such a fcuking useless piece of shit appear in Glasgow, aside from the Old Firm clubs?

I worked on constructing the Science Park car park. I remember the client delightfully telling everyone that the tower will be the only constantly rotating structure in Europe. A few years later when going up the tower I asked why it wasn't rotating......"it's only rotated for the direction of the wind" was the employees reply. Somebody made an expensive mistake was my response.

22 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

There was another walkway nearby that went to the train station. A train station to rival Grand Central NYC imo.

0C13A2CF-49A2-4251-9D89-0D86C7B60017.jpeg

You can sort of see what they they were trying.

I like it as a concept. The reality was shite. 

At least they had a shop and a bar though.

Anyone attempting to entertain the public on a piano in the old one would have been pushed on the tracks too. Which is again, in it's favour.

1 hour ago, milton75 said:

Here's one of Hillhead Burgh Hall, which was demolished in 1970. I'm actually perversely fond of the library, which is there now. But I admit it's a step down.

Current STREETVIEW

Byres_Road_Hillhead_Burgh_Hall.jpg

Looking at the Streetview that you linked to I think the 70s library looks good.  The real step down is the S Type Jag - not a patch on that Zodiac.

library.JPG.619f73fcee484d14811e51d69776d3f9.JPG