Sevco lite v Champions elect

29 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Very good draw at Ainslie Park 👌. Did Brechin have chances to win the game? 9th is still within sight.

Been in Huntly / Keith today, so no idea. 

Hopefully gives them a bit of confidence to give at least some hope of pulling a run together.  Otherwise it's just a whole series of poorly attended friendlies (from a Brechin perspective anyway).  A Stirling win midweek (or whenever that'll be) would set that up nicely. 

3 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Half time and 2-0 Cove. The first goal came straight from a corner kick and the second an own goal.

Queens can feel unfortunate to be down by 2 but playing down wind second half they are still in the game. Galt and Salim are threatening 

bloody Baltic 🥶 

2nd half there were some chances for both sides. Cove had one or two half chances and from my angle it looked like Queens should have had a penalty around 60-70 minute mark.

The wind played a big factor in the game and disturbed  both sides passing play.

Queens will have high hopes of getting into the playoff spots. A much improved side.

What were Cove's attendances like before entering the league? I see that they're pretty comfortably the highest in the league. Obviously, a successful side helps but does the club have any schemes getting folk through the gates? Definitely something we should be looking to learn from when we move into Lesser. 

Massive improvement from our last trip to Balmoral. I thought it was an evenly matched game with 2 poor goals conceded. An OG and a wind-carrying corner[emoji19] Need to watch the highlights but not sure what Willie or the defenders were doing for the corner. We didn’t start the game well at all. Very sluggish. They had the pressure on instantly and we didn’t react.

Neither team had many chances and the possession was even too. Can’t believe we weren’t awarded the penalty against Joffrey. Truly embarrassing from the officials.

Bit of a wake-up call. Really half-asleep first few minutes followed by a gift of a goal. After 10 mins we started competing and held Cove in their own end for much of the half but we seldom got near goal and often players in possession were struggling to find support. By contrast when Cove moved forward they were cohesive and available. Grant was to blame for the second goal by dropping well behind the line and playing on the winger. Only Davidson will know why he kicked the ball into our net.

The wind advantage made no difference in the second and only Sal with a long-range effort warmed the goalie’s hands. Both pen claims were valid and the Lidouren one, had we scored, was a critical time in the game for our recovery. Only the ref and his assistant saw it their way in the whole ground. Gamechanger.

Regret to say that our new coach was outflanked on a couple of areas today. Our midfield was man marked tightly and too often the ball carrier struggled to find a spare shirt. The other clever tactic Hartley has is at corners he leaves a couple or three midfielders at the edge of their box to pick up the second ball and run with it. And no tactical change in the second where we were clearly going nowhere. To be fair, Cove were well marshalled by our defence, particularly Jamieson. Dog was the stand-out again.

The disappointment comes from having full-time players now, some of whom looked ordinary today. Lidouren was the best of the midfield, Moore and Sal both did some clever stuff and Doig was special. And a Jamieson of course. The rest were ineffective, including the sub.

In summary, an industrious performance lacking a cutting edge and two sloppy goals lost it for us. So what’s new?

For the first phase of the club development, Cove Rangers have to be the benchmark. Money behind them, new purpose built stadium, strong side, good crowds, eight points clear at the top of the league. Our challenge is going to be replicating all of that. There's no point in publicly making grand statements about climbing the leagues. We need to take care of business as it comes. 

They've have a lot of time together and we haven't. The fact that we went up there with half a chance and came away disappointed, considering their 100% home record, shows how far we've come in a short spell. 

Brechin is huge for us. Other teams will have games in hand, but getting points on the board in such a tight league is psychologically huge. If we can go up there and win, it puts the squeeze on other playoff hopefuls. It'll be a tough game. They're fighting for their lives and picked up a good point at Ainslie Park. 

31 minutes ago, an86 said:

For the first phase of the club development, Cove Rangers have to be the benchmark. Money behind them, new purpose built stadium, strong side, good crowds, eight points clear at the top of the league. Our challenge is going to be replicating all of that. There's no point in publicly making grand statements about climbing the leagues. We need to take care of business as it comes. 

They've have a lot of time together and we haven't. The fact that we went up there with half a chance and came away disappointed, considering their 100% home record, shows how far we've come in a short spell. 

Brechin is huge for us. Other teams will have games in hand, but getting points on the board in such a tight league is psychologically huge. If we can go up there and win, it puts the squeeze on other playoff hopefuls. It'll be a tough game. They're fighting for their lives and picked up a good point at Ainslie Park. 

Excellent post. I think we can be well pleased with what has been achieved in a month. Cove have had two full seasons to develop a squad like they have. We were not that far behind them yesterday. We can't afford slip ups against the likes of Brechin and Annan. Last Friday I would have taken 6 points from our next three games. That is still achievable. Better to drop points against Cove who will probably beat our rivals in due course than to slip up against the lesser sides in the division. Concentration from the whistle must be applied at the beginning of both halves. Huge week coming up.

Any type of result yesterday would of been a bonus. Cove’s home record is ridiculous so it was always gonna be a tough ask. Hopefully with the extra experience brought in, we’re able to respond to defeats a lot better and get back to winning ways immediately. Huge game on Wednesday against a side that will be doing their upmost to get any type of result so we’ve got to be up for it. Really hope Maclean is available again, anyone know what injury he’s got ?

12 minutes ago, QPSpider1867 said:

Not surprised at the first goal. I’ve always thought Willie is a good shot stopper but doesn’t collect in the 6 yard box. I’d give Cammy a shot.

I suspect Bell will be in on Wednesday. He was never coming in to be backup. 

Keeper makes a mistake and it's a goal. Outfield player makes a mistake (of which there were quite a few) no big deal.... IMO I would not be putting Cammy Bell in goal at such a critical time of the season and perhaps wait until the outcome of a game(Brechin) is not so vital.  When was his last full match anyway ? ---October 19 ? 

16 hours ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

Keeper makes a mistake and it's a goal. Outfield player makes a mistake (of which there were quite a few) no big deal.... IMO I would not be putting Cammy Bell in goal at such a critical time of the season and perhaps wait until the outcome of a game(Brechin) is not so vital.  When was his last full match anyway ? ---October 19 ? 

I thought he might have played for the Strollers last week but I note Heraghty was playing. 

No doubt that Willie could have done better at the goal but I didn't hear him shout for it and there were a few of our players directly in front of him at the near post who seemed hesitant when perhaps one of them should have got their head on it. Muir's form has been great recently - what about his early save? - and he's won us key points but now folk want him dropped after one mistake. Such a fickle bunch after one defeat to the best team in the league.

Overall I can't complain about the result. I can only remember Sal having a shot on target. The keeper's fumble and subsequent challenge  was a stonewall penalty though and would have made things a bit more interesting .

Edited by Mick1867