RIP The Guvnor'

Woke up to the devastating news Andrew Weatherall, an absolute fucking pioneer had passed.

Only last night the wife and i were listening to his  'Musics not for Everyone ' show on NTS, and we were planning our trip to Carcasonne in September for his festival Convanenza.

Im sure  many PnB'ers of a certian vintage will feel the same, we lost a musical savant , no nonsense amazing human and fucking astounding genius.

Was lucky enough to see him a few times at Pure and the Blue Room. My wife was lucky enough to see him at ALFOS a few times. I hope they still run the festival in his honour.

56 fucking years old. So sad.

Don those ceremonial robes 1 more time Gnostic traveler, rest in peace.

aw.jpg

Unsurprisingly there's not much love getting shown for Weatherall from the P&B demograph. 

Smokebelch II's been coming up on on my fb a bit, his Papa New Guinea remix was always one of my favourites. 

No point talking about Screamadelica I suppose, those that know already know, 

Rest in Power. 

4 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Unsurprisingly there's not much love getting shown for Weatherall from the P&B demograph. 

Smokebelch II's been coming up on on my fb a bit, his Papa New Guinea remix was always one of my favourites. 

No point talking about Screamadelica I suppose, those that know already know, 

Rest in Power. 

The Asphodells , Woodleigh Research Facilty and all the ALFOS stuff was mind bending. Some amount of material and remixes he did. PNG remix was great you are correct.

Huge loss and he still had a lot to give. An absolute pioneer - felt like I grew up with his music clubbing in Edinburgh in my 20s.

I love his description of one of his sets: "absolutely full-knacker, proper panel-beaters-from-Prague-'ere-we-go techno".

Been listening to this today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSni20o9ebs - just from a couple of years ago.

This is a nice, short documentary as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2A4RxpEvN4

17 hours ago, VanCityHibee said:

Woke up to the devastating news Andrew Weatherall, an absolute fucking pioneer had passed.

Only last night the wife and i were listening to his  'Musics not for Everyone ' show on NTS, and we were planning our trip to Carcasonne in September for his festival Convanenza.

Im sure  many PnB'ers of a certian vintage will feel the same, we lost a musical savant , no nonsense amazing human and fucking astounding genius.

Was lucky enough to see him a few times at Pure and the Blue Room. My wife was lucky enough to see him at ALFOS a few times. I hope they still run the festival in his honour.

56 fucking years old. So sad.

Don those ceremonial robes 1 more time Gnostic traveler, rest in peace.

aw.jpg

There was a tribute to him on BBC2 Newsnight last night, not sure if the programme is on the BBC i-player or such.

14 hours ago, Angusfifer said:

Pipe doon. When Big Aretha, the Queen of Soul croaked last year there was no related thread on P&B

Exactly this. Unless you are a paid up member of the "big box, little box, big box, little box" brigade most folk on here will not have a scooby who he was. (Me included)

The Asphodells , Woodleigh Research Facilty and all the ALFOS stuff was mind bending. Some amount of material and remixes he did. PNG remix was great you are correct.

A Love from Outer Space (the Masterpiece version and Version 2) are two of my favourite tracks ever made. Superb stuff.

Yup. Absolute fucking chooon!

That was around the first time I started noticing producers and remixes.
Regarding other people not knowing there was a producer and dj in my favourite type of music called tango and nobody mentioned it outside of that musical circle. He was a genius so the fact that wetherall is getting mentioned on the news shows you how much his music appealed to everyone.
If you were u20 around 88-92 then you would have listened to one of his tunes.
I dont really rate him in the same class as frankie knuckles or the top tier djs or producers but he was excellent.

Weatherall was a genius. Properly gutted yesterday. I've listened to his musical output pretty much all my adult life, from being a young lad listening to Screamadelica, early Rhumba club & Pure, all the way through to ALFOS more recently. 

He was also an absolute gent by all accounts.

The "big box, little box" brigade comment above is an odd one, given the amount of cross over tracks and remixes Weatherall had a hand in (New Order, Primal Scream, Happy Mondays, James, Beth Orton, One Dove & Saint Etienne from memory).

Little known trivia fact. The sound engineer for Loaded was also responsible for that awful Star Trekking tune from way back!

3 minutes ago, Futureboy said:

The "big box, little box" brigade comment above is an odd one, given the amount of cross over tracks and remixes Weatherall had a hand in (New Order, Primal Scream, Happy Mondays, James, Beth Orton, One Dove & Saint Etienne from memory).

Standard redneck chat on here if you're not posting some generic shit that plays to the masses. 

He epitomised the late 80s/early 90s indie/dance crossover with the the remixes you mentioned and others when the likes of The Stone Roses acted like a part of it but only were by association imo. Happy Mondays always had that edge over them. 

He should have left MBV - Soon alone imo but others say it's the greatest remix of all time.