St Johnstone vs Rangers -23/02/2020

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Two very reasonable shouts at the time. Zander was never, ever a reasonable shout to be Scotland's number 1.

I never claimed he was. I asked why, at a time when he was breaking clean sheet records, Jamie MacDonald, and Jack Hamilton, were getting called up as the 3rd choice keeper ahead of him.

Edited by RandomGuy.

13 hours ago, Radford said:

Maybe this will be the week that the great Drey Wright actually creates or scores a goal in a league match? And not from a cross that deflects off Ziggy Gordon. 

Sensing you're not a fan? :)

He undoubtedly has talent. I'm not exactly clambering like the rest of the fans for a contract renewal yet though. His crossing is poor and often doesn't get past the first man. Defensively he's good. 

I think he'd be more successful with Hendry in the team than Kane or May though. With Kane and particularly May I'd be inclined to play O'Halloran who more often than not goes for a low cut back then swinging it into the box.

29 minutes ago, Broon_100 said:

Sensing you're not a fan?

He's fine but, like Matty Kennedy before him, not the deity I believe some fans view him as. He had three great opportunities on Saturday, missed the target with two and hit the other straight at the keeper/defender. 

When we played the same opposition at Xmas, he roasted Sean Kelly but there was nothing to show for it. It's a recurring theme, as the numbers show. When Swanson and O'Halloran were at their peak, they'd be well into double figures for goals and assists. 

I'd like to keep him but it's not like we'll be asking how we replace his goals or assists if he goes, is it? 

I waited a long time to see us beat Rangers, a 3-1 win in 1998-99,  whereas we beat Celtic the very first time I saw us play them, a 3-2 classic in the first season at McDiarmid (December 1990 possibly?).

I'd seen us pumped so many times in so many ways by rangers, that when they came to Perth in 1997-1998 me and a few mates were so fed up with it that we went to the pub instead. First time I'd ever done that when Saints were at home. Inevitably we beat them for the first time in my lifetime. I was gutted when the scores came in.  

When you look at the records before Rangers were re-born/ came back up, we were very much second best, but definitely better at home:

Home: W3  D4   L14.          Away:  W0  D2  L20.               (League matches only since the move to McDiarmid Park)

Since their return, its been a bit of the opposite:

Home: W0  D1  L5.           Away:  W1  D2  L2.                    (League matches only)

This is a great opportunity to beat them. We've been playing well, they've been struggling and have a tough European tie on Thursday night.  Let's get in about them.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

I waited a long time to see us beat Rangers, a 3-1 win in 1998-99,  whereas we beat Celtic the very first time I saw us play them, a 3-2 classic in the first season at McDiarmid (December 1990 possibly?).

I'd seen us pumped so many times in so many ways by rangers, that when they came to Perth in 1997-1998 me and a few mates were so fed up with it that we went to the pub instead. First time I'd ever done that when Saints were at home. Inevitably we beat them for the first time in my lifetime. I was gutted when the scores came in.  

When you look at the records before Rangers were re-born/ came back up, we were very much second best, but definitely better at home:

Home: W3  D4   L14.          Away:  W0  D2  L20.               (League matches only since the move to McDiarmid Park)

Since their return, its been a bit of the opposite:

Home: W0  D1  L5.           Away:  W1  D2  L2.                    (League matches only)

This is a great opportunity to beat them. We've been playing well, they've been struggling and have a tough European tie on Thursday night.  Let's get in about them.

Our record against them really is shite isnt it. 

We've had some cup successes though. Particularly away.

1 hour ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Our record against them really is shite isnt it. 

We've had some cup successes though. Particularly away.

There was a Boxing Day (i think) game through there where we'd been really solid the whole way through and Paddy Connelly had an easy chance to put us 1 up in the last quarter of the game. He wasn't clinical enough and gave Colin Hendry the chance to save it with his hand on the line. We missed the penalty and went on to lose a late goal. I just about accepted we'd never win there after that.

Roll on to the last few years and we've won there in the league and cup, and had a couple of draws, so a big improvement.

Long overdue we beat them at home though..

It did seem to take forever to beat them, although luckily I wasn't of an age to spend Saturday afternoon in the pub in 1998, so saw that one! We were brilliant against them in those two wins around that time. 

We drew with them twice in their first couple of visits to McDiarmid and there were a few other close things. One game they had a huge injury crisis and were playing reserves and some old coach (anyone remember his name?) and we pegged them back to 2-2 then lost it quite late on. Another game where Paul Wright scored a great lob then they equalised late when Rhodes dropped one right in front of McCoist. 

Don't mean to beat a man when he's down but can't see us getting anything on Sunday with Clark in goal. 

33 minutes ago, Radford said:

It did seem to take forever to beat them, although luckily I wasn't of an age to spend Saturday afternoon in the pub in 1998, so saw that one! We were brilliant against them in those two wins around that time. 

We were. We also took a 7-0 pounding off them at McDiarmid mid way between those two victories, in 1998-99 when we finished third.

We played them a lot that season, it was even worse than last year with Celtic, six times including league cup final and Scottish Cup semi-final defeats to them.

Had forgotten that we also beat Celtic 3 matches out of 4 that season.  How good would that be now...?!

48 minutes ago, Radford said:

One game they had a huge injury crisis and were playing reserves and some old coach (anyone remember his name?) and we pegged them back to 2-2 then lost it quite late on. Another game where Paul Wright scored a great lob then they equalised late when Rhodes dropped one right in front of McCoist. 

Was it this one?

IMG_0975.PNG

50 minutes ago, Radford said:

Don't mean to beat a man when he's down but can't see us getting anything on Sunday with Clark in goal. 

Rangers have already had reasonable success against us from crosses into the box in recent games. They'll have watched Saturdays game and no doubt set pieces as well as delivery from Tavernier from wide areas during open play will be top of their game plan. 

(I also really hope we do not try the 3-5-2 again)

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

I remember that Paul Wright lob, I recall my granpaw telling me we had a chance that night, Goarm was injured so it was Ally Maxwell in the sticks, for once he was right.

That 7-0 was brutal, especially just 2 weeks before the LC Final, but we did beat Celtic the next weekend, then put a much better showing on at the final.

My favourite would have to be the win in 98, wee George looked so fine in that pin stripe strip.