St Mirren Defeat Thread (featuring Heart of Midlothian)

7 hours ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

Shame the game is not being broadcast live. Sky/BT are a total joke tbh.  

Yup. I believe it's that someone hasn't coughed up the required supplement in order to televise stuff that clashes with the Champions' League, but it's still a joke. 

2 minutes ago, Silvio said:

A loss sends us bottom, a win puts us 9th. Madness.

For the record, it will be the former. 

3-0 Hearts, all Andreu own goals and Goodwin will still fucking play him in the next match. 

I really can't see past Hearts here. 

Would be more confident of us winning this if we were bottom. Because we're not, it's must not lose rather than must win so I fully expect a safety-first approach from us.

11 hours ago, Empty It said:

All the saints lads being pessimistic here really has a hearts gubbing all over it

Exactly, as soon as I see 'Hearts win' from the opposition I die a little inside.

Yeah, I'm usually optimistic about St. Mirren and always try and look at best case scenarios but I've really not got a good feeling about this one. We never, ever show up when the heat is turned up on us and we seem to set up naturally apprehensively which means we rarely, if ever actually control the tempo and flow of a match.

Even if we lose, we still have a long way to go but falling bottom now will devastate us, turn a lot of already swithering fans against Goodwin and it would be a struggle to see how we'd recover.

It feels odd to be talking in a defeatist sense in a way. We've lost only 5 of our last 17 games in all competitions (which for a team in our position really is not bad when considering 3 of those were against the arsecheeks), but we've absolutely crippled ourselves with a lack of cutting edge, not turning a few of those draws into wins.

Edited by djchapsticks

Yeah, I'm usually optimistic about St. Mirren and always try and look at best case scenarios but I've really not got a good feeling about this one. We never, ever show up when the heat is turned up on us and we seem to set up naturally apprehensively which means we rarely, if ever actually control the tempo and flow of a match.
Even if we lose, we still have a long way to go but falling bottom now will devastate us, turn a lot of already swithering fans against Goodwin and it would be a struggle to see how we'd recover.
It feels odd to be talking in a defeatist sense in a way. We've lost only 5 of our last 17 games in all competitions (which for a team in our position really is not bad when considering 3 of those were against the arsecheeks), but we've absolutely crippled ourselves with a lack of cutting edge, not turning a few of those draws into wins.

I think that is what has annoyed me the most, I get that Jim has to make the team hard to beat but plenty of teams have drawn their way to relegation.
We simply haven’t gone for wins in games where we absolutely should have.

Jim owns the responsibility for that and obviously playing Tony fecking Andreu!

Oh and if Chabbi isn’t fit by now what the hell did we sign him for?

Prediction is 3-1 Hearts and Jim to say he can’t question the group’s commitment and how we’ve only lost x times in the last y number of games.....................

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Bloody hell mate, that's about as bleak a post as I can remember seeing from you!

Re the bit in bold, I think that's basically the opposite of when Jack Ross first took over, and Kearney to a lesser extent. Back end of 2016, and then back end of 2018, people looking in from outside saying we were still shite, the managers hadn't improved things, etc. But fans could see the shift and, even though survival went down to the wire on both occasions, there was a sense that we were heading in the right direction.

Really can't say that this year: we have been left behind by various teams that were struggling at some point - Killie early on, Hibs, St Johnstone all got their act into gear. Now we're being reeled in at an alarming pace by Hamilton and Hearts. 

But the really concerning thing is that we're simply not scoring goals or even creating chances. We dominated Aberdeen for possession and territory but their keeper might as well have been sat pissing about on his phone for all the concern we caused him. Likewise Accies and St Johnstone at our place.

Ehhh. I've got a bad feeling about this.

On 08/03/2020 at 13:10, topcat(The most tip top) said:

With the run of luck Hamilton are enjoying it’s inevitable

I think Saints were hoping that picking up lots of draws would see us safe. But...

Step forward The Rangers to gift 3 unexpected points to each of our two main rivals.

Then each also picking up unexpected wins in tough fixtures, both of which in their own ways are worth more than just the 3 points - Hearts beating Hibs 3-0 at Easter Road, and Accies getting a last minute penalty winner when down to 10 men.

That's 6 points each have had that they otherwise may not have - and suddenly Saints' position is looking way more precarious than we'd have expected at this time.

Wednesday night massive for both clubs obviously, and while Hearts have the strongest squad and have had those great results recently, I think Saints can nick this.

The scale of Saturday's defeat was a blow but up until then our post-split results had seemed, erm,  adequate, what has changed is Hamilton's two big "results",  to state the bleedin' obvious what we really need is a big "result" of our own. It's getting to the stage of the season where it' mostly about "character" - let's hope we can show some tomorrow night!

9 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Bloody hell mate, that's about as bleak a post as I can remember seeing from you!

Re the bit in bold, I think that's basically the opposite of when Jack Ross first took over, and Kearney to a lesser extent. Back end of 2016, and then back end of 2018, people looking in from outside saying we were still shite, the managers hadn't improved things, etc. But fans could see the shift and, even though survival went down to the wire on both occasions, there was a sense that we were heading in the right direction.

Really can't say that this year: we have been left behind by various teams that were struggling at some point - Killie early on, Hibs, St Johnstone all got their act into gear. Now we're being reeled in at an alarming pace by Hamilton and Hearts. 

But the really concerning thing is that we're simply not scoring goals or even creating chances. We dominated Aberdeen for possession and territory but their keeper might as well have been sat pissing about on his phone for all the concern we caused him. Likewise Accies and St Johnstone at our place.

Ehhh. I've got a bad feeling about this.

Agree with most of this, but in the interest of balance, we had about five near misses at the St Johnstone goal in the last ten minutes alone.

24 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Agree with most of this, but in the interest of balance, we had about five near misses at the St Johnstone goal in the last ten minutes alone.

You say that as if shite finishing wasnt the reason they were misses and not goals.

Hearts score goals, St Mirren do not. Seems a clear result.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You say that as if shite finishing wasnt the reason they were misses and not goals.

Hearts score goals, St Mirren do not. Seems a clear result.

They were hardly missed sitters. Clark made a great save from Obika, McGrath hit the post and hit another from the edge of the box a foot wide, Waters hit a volley from the edge of the box just past and Chabbi had a header drop just wide. Hearts may score more, but they also lose more, which is the hope I'm grasping at.