Arbroath vs Ayr United

Chill, I’m not blaming the people of Arbroath for the honking weather.
 I have to say though that the weather forecasting recently has been remarkably accurate.  BBC still showing 50mph+ winds at kick off - personally I think the forecasting is good enough now that we should be postponing matches on a Friday night or Saturday morning before the away fans travel.  In the event the weather has changed at kick off, then you just take it on the chin.
 What will actually happen is that the match referee will show up at 1.30 and figure “ach well, we’re all here now” and attempt to play the game in farcical conditions.  The last game at Somerset against Arbroath would be a classic example of that thinking.
The BBC site shows the gusts in black, not the average strength of the wind which the Met office is showing as 25 mph.

Chill, I’m not blaming the people of Arbroath for the honking weather.
 I have to say though that the weather forecasting recently has been remarkably accurate.  BBC still showing 50mph+ winds at kick off - personally I think the forecasting is good enough now that we should be postponing matches on a Friday night or Saturday morning before the away fans travel.  In the event the weather has changed at kick off, then you just take it on the chin.
 What will actually happen is that the match referee will show up at 1.30 and figure “ach well, we’re all here now” and attempt to play the game in farcical conditions.  The last game at Somerset against Arbroath would be a classic example of that thinking.

Yes but my point is it's like that most weeks. I look every week and think here we go but only twice the wind has affected the games. I am no weather man but 25mph winds with gusts up to 44 (current forecast) doesn't mean all gusts will be as high as 44 or they'll be constant.

Just need to wait and see on the day. Chances are it'll be fine.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Yes but my point is it's like that most weeks. I look every week and think here we go but only twice the wind has affected the games. I am no weather man but 25mph winds with gusts up to 44 (current forecast) doesn't mean all gusts will be as high as 44 or they'll be constant.

Just need to wait and see on the day. Chances are it'll be fine.

In fairness that's pretty normal weather for this time of year, especially on the coast.

I think we're all being sucked in to this "weather warning",  and named "storms" nonsense and of course there's a 24 hours a day 7 days a week focus on it, especially when there's little else in the News to report.

In normal speak we'd describe it as a "bit breezy today"............

In fairness that's pretty normal weather for this time of year, especially on the coast.
I think we're all being sucked in to this "weather warning",  and named "storms" nonsense and of course there's a 24 hours a day 7 days a week focus on it, especially when there's little else in the News to report.
In normal speak we'd describe it as a "bit breezy today"............
That's certainly not been true for the last couple of weekends, but i don't know how it'll be on Saturday.

The 'named storm' was a policy change by the met office or whoever is responsible. Folk don't half get annoyed by it though.

30 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

That's certainly not been true for the last couple of weekends, but i don't know how it'll be on Saturday.

The 'named storm' was a policy change by the met office or whoever is responsible. Folk don't half get annoyed by it though.

Only by the pointlessness of it, 

hospitality for me on Saturday, we must be due a home win against this mob

Only by the pointlessness of it, 
hospitality for me on Saturday, we must be due a home win against this mob
It makes people more aware of severe weather apparently, which i guess makes sense. The media can track things better and organisations (and folk in general) can be better prepared.

Yellow weather warning for wind tomorrow again for whole of Scotland. Why do these things always seem to fall on weekends? The forecast itself looks ok.

Pain in the arse. Getting to football on the Saturdays usually the highlight of the weekend. Stressful knowing it could be in jeopardy, Mother Nature needs to think of the football fans.

1 hour ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

No big change in the forecast this morning, 25mph winds with 40mph gusts. Only think to put it at risk is freak local conditions. So Arbroath, dinnah get freaky.

Bemused as to why you think sustained gusts of 40-50mph isn’t a problem. This is not normal weather for this or any other time of year, except in the Falkland Islands maybe.  I get the whole “there’s no such thing as bad weather, only wrong clothes” argument, but we seem to be crossing the line from a bit of stoicism in the face of bad weather to a pig headed refusal to face reality.  Here’s a handy cut out and keep guide to wind speeds.

image.png.02a63a46ca25759fb401f7abaf1edc54.png

Bemused as to why you think sustained gusts of 40-50mph isn’t a problem. This is not normal weather for this or any other time of year, except in the Falkland Islands maybe.  I get the whole “there’s no such thing as bad weather, only wrong clothes” argument, but we seem to be crossing the line from a bit of stoicism in the face of bad weather to a pig headed refusal to face reality.  Here’s a handy cut out and keep guide to wind speeds.
I'm comparing tomorrow's forecast to the conditions v St Johnstone two weeks ago and the midweek game v Arbroath two years ago which was horrendous. Plus the weather warning for wind tomorrow no longer even covers Arbroath.

Is this the 1st time the Beaufort scale has got a mention on P&B?