Arbroath vs Ayr United

Arbroath have more points this season than Caley did at this point last season. Caley went on to finish 2nd. Was the league “fucking gash” last season as well?

Yes it was awful. We were on relegation form from January onwards and finished 4th. Morton were horrendous and finished 5th.

It was arguably worse last season.

Arbroath and Alloa fans crave the praise of being part time teams competing against the bigger spending full time teams. And fair play to them for it. 

But then get upset at anything that labels inferiority against them. Inferiority in terms of budgets I should add. 

For me, they want to be treated the same but differently, and both at the same time or to suit their argument. 

Like the crazy ex you thought you'd seen the back of years ago. 

crazy lady GIF

Edited to say, would still have you both in the league over Thistle. 

Edited by BukyOHare

Arbroath should be expelled from the spfl due to the high Winds . Every home game a farce
Yeah, we know fitba in Scotland has always been played in ideal conditions, smooth grass surfaces etc. Sea level rise means Gayfield will probably not be viable within a couple of decades. Given increasingly stormy weather year- round, maybe it’s time for all to forget this summer/winter debate, time to go indoors and higher up.     

As for assessing the League overall, I usually think a simple rule of thumb is the points difference between top and bottom as an indication of how competitive it is. The Championship, even with a runaway leader, is fairly close, as is League One (where more places are at stake top and bottom). This also reveals how bad the Premiership is.

Finally, I find any speculation about final league places, with a third of the season to go, tedious. I must admit to getting slightly exasperated by updates on other scores during games. Even as a fan , I’d prefer to focus on the moment; any loss of focus by the club - looking ahead more than the next half or game - is positively dangerous but I think they’re more sensible.

I couldn't really give a flying fack about being part time and full time and differences in budgets. 

At the moment, we have accumulated enough points to be the 4th best team in the league which for me is an outstanding achievement so far, with just over a quarter to go if we keep in and around the top half it would be great, if we slip slightly and finish 7th or 8th we will have met our objectives. I wouldn't be running about celebrating wildly because part time teams have done it before as has been stated.

What Ayr, Alloa etc do is completely irrelevant to me.

It feels like a big game on Saturday as Ayr are a good side and the incentive to go 2nd possibly will be huge for both teams. 

See we have actually been here as both part time and full time so can relate to both. 

Arbroath are where they are right now because they are a good side as well as some other teams being rank, not a situation to feel patronised by, certainly rather be sitting fourth and capitalising on others failings than down the other end with absolute rubbish like Partick Thistle. 

Arbroath were unlucky we turned full time the year we won League One as they had a good team as is shown in the core still playing now and doing just as well a league up. 

Arbroath and Alloa fans crave the praise of being part time teams competing against the bigger spending full time teams. And fair play to them for it. 
But then get upset at anything that labels inferiority against them. Inferiority in terms of budgets I should add. 
For me, they want to be treated the same but differently, and both at the same time or to suit their argument. 
Like the crazy ex you thought you'd seen the back of years ago. 
200.gif&key=daa61ab3dde25e75164dc8784831c40d797c73bdd6b6dae94c6f4d1c36e7e97c
Edited to say, would still have you both in the league over Thistle. 

Not wanting any praise for competing against full time teams. Actually frustrates me a bit when you read, see and hear that in the media all the time. There are benefits to both at this level and nobody seems to appreciate that in the media. We're the underdogs every week when a lot of the time I actually think we have better players.

Anyway, I'll keep to discussion about the game now.

1 hour ago, Pick that one out Marshall said:

Has the time finally come for us to switch to Summer Football?

I know you’re being slightly facetious here, however even if we switched to summer football, given the length of the season we’d still be playing on Saturday.

League of Ireland’s (summer) season has already kicked off.

See Arbroath have taken Alloa's place in taking offence at not being praised 24/7.
When you post anything I'm guessing most folk take offence, and it says more about you than them.

I'm looking forward to this. I'm hoping we keep the good form from the last 6 weeks going (we were doing bloody well against saints until Muirhead lost the plot).

Hopefully the storms f**k off and we get a noisy away support.

When you post anything I'm guessing most folk take offence, and it says more about you than them.

I'm looking forward to this. I'm hoping we keep the good form from the last 6 weeks going (we were doing bloody well against saints until Muirhead lost the plot).

Hopefully the storms f**k off and we get a noisy away support.
Ok. Let you apologise for that then. You're good at that.

Was surprised to see we dont look like filling a bus for this, although I suppose a good few would be going by train.   I've only been to Arbroath twice, both comfortable 3-0 away wins that have been in the bag by half time and both in beautiful weather.  And both brilliant days out by train as well. 

I'm not making it this weekend sadly, and also don't think it will be a lovely day or a 0-3 scoreline but you never know!

Edited by Hursty

Was surprised to see we dont look like filling a bus for this, although I suppose a good few would be going by train.   I've only been to Arbroath twice, both comfortable 3-0 away wins that have been in the bag by half time and both in beautiful weather.  And both brilliant days out by train as well. 
I'm not making it this weekend sadly, and also don't think it will be a lovely day or a 0-3 scoreline but you never know!
A young forrest off the bench if i remember correctly? That was a glorious afternoon.

Been struggling to fill a few buses as of late. Can't blame the ticket system for that one.

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:
2 hours ago, Hursty said:

A young forrest off the bench if i remember correctly? That was a glorious afternoon.

Aye.  Must have been one of his first goals for Ayr?  Early Moffat double had us cruising. 

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Not wanting any praise for competing against full time teams. Actually frustrates me a bit when you read, see and hear that in the media all the time. There are benefits to both at this level and nobody seems to appreciate that in the media. We're the underdogs every week when a lot of the time I actually think we have better players.

Anyway, I'll keep to discussion about the game now.

Would think alot of teams in this league would happily take our keeper and back 4. 

Anyway hopefully we can beat Ayr Saturday then it's only Dundee left to do the clean sweep of beating ever team in the league.

11 hours ago, Robertolichtie said:

Would think alot of teams in this league would happily take our keeper and back 4. 

Anyway hopefully we can beat Ayr Saturday then it's only Dundee left to do the clean sweep of beating ever team in the league.

Was thinking the same mate, queens Ayr then Dundee were the only ones left to beat and ironically they were all lined up the rest of this month, 1 down 2 to go 🙌🙌🙌🇱🇻⚽

20 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

As already stated. The wind forecasts seem to be all over the place up until the day.

For what it is worth there has only been 2 windy days from all of our home league games so far. Partick Thistle and Dunfermline.

The forecast for Saturday past was horrendous, it was fine, aside from bucketing down the wind had zero affect on the game.

Chill, I’m not blaming the people of Arbroath for the honking weather.

I have to say though that the weather forecasting recently has been remarkably accurate.  BBC still showing 50mph+ winds at kick off - personally I think the forecasting is good enough now that we should be postponing matches on a Friday night or Saturday morning before the away fans travel.  In the event the weather has changed at kick off, then you just take it on the chin.

What will actually happen is that the match referee will show up at 1.30 and figure “ach well, we’re all here now” and attempt to play the game in farcical conditions.  The last game at Somerset against Arbroath would be a classic example of that thinking.