Arbroath vs Ayr United

3 minutes ago, keptie said:

Definitely, Gayfield has no shelter from the wind at all whereas Vics ground is maybe a mile and a half inland and where it is situated is very well sheltered from any wind.

Yeah I thought as much.  Only been to the train station, Tutties and Gayfield. So my geography of Arbroath is limited to say the least.

On 22/02/2020 at 16:55, Honest_Man#1 said:

I will hopefully get to the rearranged fixture.

Some advice required Lichties - where is the best place to get a smokie? And how is it served? With chips etc or do you literally just get a smoked fish? 

Bell Rock is just along a wee bit from the stadium absolutely incredible scran.  

Sat and ate it outside since there was f**k all wind by the time we walked there. 

IMG_20200222_162026.jpg

5 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Bell Rock is just along a wee bit from the stadium absolutely incredible scran.  

Sat and ate it outside since there was f**k all wind by the time we walked there. 

IMG_20200222_162026.jpg

That looks like a typical chippy fish and chips? I thought a smokie was something different entirely!

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

That looks like a typical chippy fish and chips? I thought a smokie was something different entirely!

Aye so it's smoked fish chippy style.  Go with it. 

On Summer football above, it is a no for me but why should the winter break only be for top league sides.  Get the Scottish Cup in first weekend of the year and then f**k off for a month. 

4 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

On Summer football above, it is a no for me but why should the winter break only be for top league sides.  Get the Scottish Cup in first weekend of the year and then f**k off for a month. 

Winter break just results in Premiership playing two games a week the first few weeks back to catch up again.

Plus all of our postponed games have been outwith the month of January so you wouldn't get away from games being cancelled in the winter.

Definitely, Gayfield has no shelter from the wind at all whereas Vics ground is maybe a mile and a half inland and where it is situated is very well sheltered from any wind.

I don’t care. Gayfield is still the best football ground in the world, wind and all. The San Siro’s not bad though.

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

Winter break just results in Premiership playing two games a week the first few weeks back to catch up again.

Plus all of our postponed games have been outwith the month of January so you wouldn't get away from games being cancelled in the winter.

Yes but that is just down to a mux of idiocy and European football, we can play those games earlier in the season midweek. 

Nothing in scheduling is foolproof and can always be improved upon. 

Main difference yesterday compared to the midweek game two years ago was the wind was blowing up the pitch from the South West rather than across it. Pretty sure it was a stronger Easterly wind too.

Walking from the station you would have not thought there was any problem until getting to the ground.

First time for me trying the pies, two steak and black pudding and a macaroni, best in the league by miles.

It's why you can't rely on the forecast too much and need to wait and see on the day. It's hard to call. If only we could pick the ground up and drop it in town.

26 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It's why you can't rely on the forecast too much and need to wait and see on the day. It's hard to call. If only we could pick the ground up and drop it in town.

IMO 

Screen-Shot-2018-05-29-at-16.41.23-1024x510.png

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

When I look at my club playing like fucking eleven matches in four weeks in February, I think "why do we not just take January off"

Czech football stops mid-December and restarts mid February, They only have one cup competition and start the league season mid-July. 

The first round of fixtures after the break was the 15th Feb. So if we had a winter break we still would have missed two fixtures. 

In short, a winter break would not stop postponements and unless your club can afford warm weather training during the break would be fairly pointless. 

4 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Czech football stops mid-December and restarts mid February, They only have one cup competition and start the league season mid-July. 

The first round of fixtures after the break was the 15th Feb. So if we had a winter break we still would have missed two fixtures. 

In short, a winter break would not stop postponements and unless your club can afford warm weather training during the break would be fairly pointless. 

The other issue is that the seasons seem to be changing and in recent years the worst of our weather has been between February and April, however there's still potential for snow and ice etc between November and April so it's virtually impossible to have any foolproof "winter break".

Ultimately though it's the same for everyone so we'll just need to get on with it........

Given increasingly stormy but unpredictable weather patterns as climate change bites, it would be difficult to ensure that any timing of the season or break would work. There have been plenty winter games at Gayfield played in perfect conditions and games in August/Sept blighted or, as we say, enlivened by wind.

The point about Arbroath Vics going ahead on Saturday reflects their sheltered inland ground. After the Stranraer game was abandoned I also went along to see them. Anyone remember when - about 20 years ago - there were was talk of Arbroath developing a new ground there (and selling off Gayfield)? We’ll be forced to move within the next decade or two anyway - rising sea levels. But maybe even Hercules Den may be floodprone. A more elevated site with affordable retractable roof may need to be found.

Given increasingly stormy but unpredictable weather patterns as climate change bites, it would be difficult to ensure that any timing of the season or break would work. There have been plenty winter games at Gayfield played in perfect conditions and games in August/Sept blighted or, as we say, enlivened by wind.
The point about Arbroath Vics going ahead on Saturday reflects their sheltered inland ground. After the Stranraer game was abandoned I also went along to see them. Anyone remember when - about 20 years ago - there were was talk of Arbroath developing a new ground there (and selling off Gayfield)? We’ll be forced to move within the next decade or two anyway - rising sea levels. But maybe even Hercules Den may be floodprone. A more elevated site with affordable retractable roof may need to be found.

Well need to move within the next 10-20 year because of rising sea levels?

Is that you Greta?

Given a comp ticket on the way in 'just in case its abandoned before half time ' wind was no stronger at half time just as Ayr would have benefited,load of pish!

Same happened re comp tickets in our game at Arbroath the previous week. Game played to completion presumably as Dirty Dick was happy to take a 2 goal lead into the 2nd half [emoji23]

The reality of course is that Arbroath played well and we were shite but let’s not allow that to get in the way of any possible conspiracy.