Arbroath vs Ayr United

36 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It is up here now. Main amateur league up here has been losing loads of teams to the Saturday morning league.

Ideal.

Is that a bad thing though?   No real need for two leagues both of reduced quality - amateurs play at 12, no need for a Saturday morning league.  Obviously nothing will suit everyone as some amateur players work Saturday morning then play and plenty would still not bother going to a senior game in the afternoon but from experience any team I've been with in the last 10 /15 years would have had 3 or 4 players every week going to Ayr or Killie if they could.   

Cards on the table - I'm just ranting at this. Had the game today played to a finish and we had scored a laughable wind assisted winner I'd probably be sitting here saying nothing

A shambles the game started. Even the players didn’t want the game to start. But I suppose the ref has the view of “Iv got to give it’s chance”. You seen the Ayr CB in the opening minutes boot ball up the park which went over his head for a throw in. He looked at the ref who just shook his head.

I see the puddle drinkers have piled In here from our side. Personally I wish they would stay going to Celtic park where they want to be instead of polluting Gayfield with their shite. There actions we will now see us segregated every time we play Ayr. Real fans don’t want that.
Don't blame the ref get the wind sorted

1 hour ago, Hursty said:

Absolutely - Irish league just started last week or so.  But there would be less need to try and 'get games out the way' in nonsense like today as the amount of fixture pile ups would be minimal.  In a 'summer' season assuming today was a league game I reckon it would have been off at 8am and nobody would have complained  

Instead of changing the season why not load Arbroath’s home games towards the start and end of the season avoiding the worst of the winter 

Is that a bad thing though?   No real need for two leagues both of reduced quality - amateurs play at 12, no need for a Saturday morning league.  Obviously nothing will suit everyone as some amateur players work Saturday morning then play and plenty would still not bother going to a senior game in the afternoon but from experience any team I've been with in the last 10 /15 years would have had 3 or 4 players every week going to Ayr or Killie if they could.   

Cards on the table - I'm just ranting at this. Had the game today played to a finish and we had scored a laughable wind assisted winner I'd probably be sitting here saying nothing

No I think it's good and totally agree with you, Junior games should be earlier too. When I used to play at 2pm and we were at home I'd turn up to Gayfield at half time straight from the game in my shin pads. [emoji23]

You have to choose between going to watch your team or playing when you get to 17/18 it's brutal especially when you are used to going every week all over the country.

And yeah get the feeling mate, waiting to come out the car park area after the call off today I rolled down the window and got talking to an Ayr fan. Said fair play for coming up etc, it's a long drive and a bit of money too (petrol or train).

These situations are rare though in regards to games getting abandoned, it has not happened too many times over the years. I'd have a guess at maybe 4/5 in the last 10?

Anyway in summary;

Game shouldn't have started, we got a break that it was called off at half time, suspect it still would've been even if we were winning, few people had a bit too much bevy and spoiled it, a fairer game will be played out the next time which is a good thing surely because it's an important fixture.

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

No I think it's good and totally agree with you, Junior games should be earlier too. When I used to play at 2pm and we were at home I'd turn up to Gayfield at half time straight from the game in my shin pads. emoji23.png

You have to choose between going to watch your team or playing when you get to 17/18 it's brutal especially when you are used to going every week all over the country.

And yeah get the feeling mate, waiting to come out the car park area after the call off today I rolled down the window and got talking to an Ayr fan. Said fair play for coming up etc, it's a long drive and a bit of money too (petrol or train).

These situations are rare though in regards to games getting abandoned, it has not happened too many times over the years. I'd have a guess at maybe 4/5 in the last 10?

Anyway in summary;

Game shouldn't have started, we got a break that it was called off at half time, suspect it still would've been even if we were winning, few people had a bit too much bevy and spoiled it, a fairer game will be played out the next time which is a good thing surely because it's an important fixture.

Dont know how to part quote but that's the bit that absolutely stands out for me.  Its mental.  Probably the basis of my whole annoyance - clubs like Ayr and Arbroath and about 30 others need every penny in the gate as they can.   Competing with amateur leagues etc and playing 4 months of the season in dreadful conditions is mental.  

Use Arbroath as an example - I'd consider myself a fairly big Ayr fan and came through for the game in September.  Great day and one of the best away days in the country

Didn't even give it any consideration today.   

The nonsense of today's game was Moffatt telling the Ayr keeper to take goal kicks from the other side, but the manager Mark Kerr telling him to carry on taking them from the other side

9 minutes ago, Rodders1910 said:

Anyone that was at the game, did malley look any decent?

I thought he was a good addition to the team , very physical, put in a few hard tackles , willing to mix it and looked very powerful running with ball , I can see him starting a lot between now and end of season 

Guest Moomintroll

Why the f**k is that Homophobic arsehole still being allowed to post on here?@Tynierose. Cold day in hell when I am in complete agreement with A*r supporters but that arsehole needs to get emptied.

Main difference yesterday compared to the midweek game two years ago was the wind was blowing up the pitch from the South West rather than across it. Pretty sure it was a stronger Easterly wind too.

Walking from the station you would have not thought there was any problem until getting to the ground.

First time for me trying the pies, two steak and black pudding and a macaroni, best in the league by miles.

2 hours ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

Walking from the station you would have not thought there was any problem until getting to the ground.

I noticed that Arbroath Vics played at home yesterday. I take it that its the proximity of Gayfied to the sea that was made the difference?

5 minutes ago, paulbrucerick said:

I noticed that Arbroath Vics played at home yesterday. I take it that its the proximity of Gayfied to the sea that was made the difference?

Definitely, Gayfield has no shelter from the wind at all whereas Vics ground is maybe a mile and a half inland and where it is situated is very well sheltered from any wind.