DJ Mixes Thread

D.A.F.C

Does anyone on here DJ at all?

Thought I would create a thread so people can post up their mixes.

Been collecting vinyl since 1990 and mixed since about 1992. It got out of hand and ended up buying and selling vinyl for a while. If anyone wants old tunes ripped or certain styles of mixes give me a shout.

All sorts of dance music apart from really cheesy hardcore.

Need to get back into it so it would be doing me a favour.

• 2 weeks later...

Been djing since I was 16, first set of decks were belt drive ones, some amount of belts I used to go through. I have a single direct drive deck and a CD one now, haven't made a mix up in years, used to connect my decks up to my hifi and make tapes up for my mates which goes to show how long ago that was, I haven't got a clue what to use now to make a mix up apart from maybe some app on my phone or something through a laptop.

• 2 weeks later...

Been Djing on and off since mid-90's.

Until August was still exclusively vinyl and using 1210s, but bought a pair of XDJs and now playing off them.

This was my first mix on the XDJs

Been Djing on and off since mid-90's.
Until August was still exclusively vinyl and using 1210s, but bought a pair of XDJs and now playing off them.
This was my first mix on the XDJs

Will give that a listen tonight when I'm having a few beers

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Wee question:

Do DJs have to ask permission before sampling a track?

Generally you'd need to approach the copyright holder - usually record label

Unless its Mozart or something - I think that stuff is exempt.

https://medium.com/@adamcolefreedman/entertainment-law-mythbusters-your-questions-about-legally-sampling-music-answered-c44aa8fbd3bc

On 12/04/2020 at 22:30, paranoid android said:

Wee question:

Do DJs have to ask permission before sampling a track?

If someone could point me in the direction of any laws on this, that would be helpful. 

It depends what you mean. DJs play sets in clubs and can play whatever they want but the club will have to pay for a music license. If a set goes up on SoundCloud or Mixcloud it's legally up to them to remove it or pay the right people (obviously they don't). 

It's generally producers who sample tracks and fair use can apply but if you are making money off someone's sample without permission they can sue. 

No one has sued Girl Talk yet so as long as you remain below his level of popularity then it'll be fine.

25 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It depends what you mean. DJs play sets in clubs and can play whatever they want but the club will have to pay for a music license. If a set goes up on SoundCloud or Mixcloud it's legally up to them to remove it or pay the right people (obviously they don't). 

It's generally producers who sample tracks and fair use can apply but if you are making money off someone's sample without permission they can sue. 

No one has sued Girl Talk yet so as long as you remain below his level of popularity then it'll be fine.

I was talking to a guy who want's to remix an entire track - basically take the track as it is, and loop grooves behind it.

I was recommending that he should ask permission, but he's saying he doesn't need to - I reckon he's on shaky ground.

2 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

I was talking to a guy who want's to remix an entire track - basically take the track as it is, and loop grooves behind it.

I was recommending that he should ask permission, but he's saying he doesn't need to - I reckon he's on shaky ground.

There are millions of amateur remixes on YouTube and SoundCloud he'll be fine. Technically it's a re-edit as you can only do a remix if you have access to all the stem files. 

Record labels would only care if he was selling it. 

16 minutes ago, Detournement said:

There are millions of amateur remixes on YouTube and SoundCloud he'll be fine. Technically it's a re-edit as you can only do a remix if you have access to all the stem files. 

Record labels would only care if he was selling it. 

In this case, the original artist was very much against remixes - would be near impossible to get the stems, I think - I heard a rough mix of what he'd done - I doubt it would ever go anywhere meaningful or make money.

• 2 weeks later...