Montrose vs Dumbarton

22 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

The scoreline was hugely flattering to us. Montrose were in complete control after going ahead, so much so that I think our first shot on target was around the 89th minute. Montrose were fitter, faster and superior in every aspect of the game. Disappointing performance to say the least.

Accurate summation of the game. Scoreline flattered us. Unless we can get Hutton, McKee and Layne back soon, I think we are up against it. Wilson and Forbes very weak in midfield and that must have an effect on Carswell, who has been off the pace this season. Big two home games coming up!

Pretty comfortable afternoon for Montrose ,Dumbarton huffed and puffed but we were better in every department.Team lines were a bit of surprise to say the least maybe had one eye on the game on Tuesday got the points that was the main thing never going to be pretty on a day like today.Pretty gutted we never got a clean sheet but it was a good strike from the lad who looked the most up for it from the sons.

Disappointing perhaps but hardly surprising. The club is struggling and the playing squad reflects that.

Such is the current situation that I don't think it's completely fair to apply the critical norms to performances, personal or collective, as this season has been as much an exercise in fielding a team, never mind winning games.

When you compare the set-ups at clubs like Montrose, Arbroath and Cove it merely highlights our slide into, well, who knows what ?
Whilst the current sitaution is fairly horrendous off the pitch our chairman told us all that we had a budget capable of earning a playoff spot and that was the aim this season. Duffy also very publicly stated he was staying if the budget matched his ambitions.

Are Montrose paying their players a hell of a lot more than we are? Whilst the squad isn't perfect we have a number of players who are more than capable at this level. Carswell, Hutton, McKee, Jai Quitongo and Sam Wardrop are good League 1 players.

The injury situation isn't ideal and hasn't been for a while, nor is the ownership situation, but we shouldn't be holding back on criticism because of that. We are on a horrific run of form and the players look absolutely clueless on the park. We should expect far better from a squad who we were told would be promotion playoff contenders.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Whilst the current sitaution is fairly horrendous off the pitch our chairman told us all that we had a budget capable of earning a playoff spot.

To be fair,  he might be right. Unfortunately for you guys, at the wrong end of the table.

As most have said, a very easy afternoon for the Mo and the Sons late goal made the scoreline much closer than it was. Could easily have been 4 or 5.

CJs ma must have been selecting MOM today. Plenty of candidates for it. Webby, Lyons and Masson were excellent.  Defence was solid but to be fair, Dumbarton never tested them.

Happy with the 3 points. 

Free hit ar Falkirk next week. Nothing to lose. 

3 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

The best player on the park today, who scored a sensational goal and went on an outstanding run for the second, was playing for a Uni team last season.

Good scouting can be more effective than a good budget.

To be honest after watching Partick Thistle last night I find it incredible that they signed Lyons and allowed him to stay at Links Park till the end of the season. He would comfortably be as good as any player playing for Thistle up top last night. Very poor judgement by Mcall especially when his team is in a relegation dog fight. 

9 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

The best player on the park today, who scored a sensational goal and went on an outstanding run for the second, was playing for a Uni team last season.

We're no Manchester City, we canny just go out and scout players. 

Think that was the most comfortable day for the Mo since the 5-0 mauling of Stirling Albion towards the end of the promotion season. Having watched Dumbarton against Aberdeen .. where they put up a decent fight .. I expected much more from them. Realise they’ve a few players out but we cantered it. Should’ve been much more comprehensive than 2-1 but 3 points is all that counts. See Ross Forbes is still carrying those extra “bridie pounds”. Didn’t notice he was there until 5 mins before halftime. Seemed odd that Duffy left Quitongo on the bench until the game was lost. Onwards to Falkirk and, hopefully, get something from that game. It’s about time we got a bit of luck against them.

Dumbarton were like Peterhead in the previous game, they had plenty fight but fumbled and the passing and discipline wasn’t the best.

The Mo were entertaining in the first half. Mason or Webbie would have been my man of the match, Blair Lyons can’t get it every week. 
I don’t think Dumbarton will be in the relegation zone, the bottom 4 are not performing and can’t see them pulling off miracles

Ross campbell works at heriot watt uni so assume he watches all the games so essentially free scouting for montrose

Comfortable win for the Mo yesterday. Created lots of chances and should really have scored more. Lyons and Webster on the flanks were outstanding yet again. MOTM for me was young Ballantyne in the midfield - he is very composed on the ball and has a mature calming influence on the game.
We are in a really healthy position in the league. Tough couple of weeks coming up but we have to look at getting at least 7 points from a possible 12.

22 hours ago, fifer67 said:

To be honest after watching Partick Thistle last night I find it incredible that they signed Lyons and allowed him to stay at Links Park till the end of the season. He would comfortably be as good as any player playing for Thistle up top last night. Very poor judgement by Mcall especially when his team is in a relegation dog fight. 

Can Thistle recall Lyons?

7 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Are there likely to be any highlights from this match? I was looking on the Dumbarton YouTube channel and it hasn't been any match highlights in three months. A damn shame as well, their packages were class.

We’ve stopped doing ours, sadly.

Are there likely to be any highlights from this match? I was looking on the Dumbarton YouTube channel and it hasn't been any match highlights in three months. A damn shame as well, their packages were class.
We normally get our highlights out after a day or two. Did notice a Dumbarton lad moving their GoPro from behind the goal at halftime too.

Picked the wrong day last Saturday to watch the Sons in action on many fronts. Went along with my diehard DFC supporting colleague and being honest I have had better Saturdays. My pal was distraught at his team's performance and whilst I was not quite at the level he was at, Dumbarton were poor against a decent Montrose team. There appeared to be a lack of a plan from the Sons and they were reacting rather than creating.