Motherwell P-P St Mirren (15/2/20)

If we hadn't signed Tony Watt we really would have been up shit creek in terms of #9 options for Saturday, i hope he is ready to step up from the start tomorrow. Long being out is a blow.

I really think we need to freshen things up in terms of the starting line up. A few things are giving me the asbolute fear just now.

This whole keeper plays it short to Hartley who loses the ball or plays a shite pass thing is doing my nut in. I get we are trying to play from the back but this has been on the go since Livi away and happening multiple times a game. If we are determined to play from the back either drop Hartley or work out some type of variation so someone can drop deep for the ball who can actually pass properly.

Another thing that is frying my brain just now is the midfield. I don't know how many times I have seen Donnelly and Campbell in particular - but not exclusively - get caught in possession over the last few games because they want ten minutes to pick the next pass. It's a really bad habit and I think Robinson will be encouraging the boys in the middle of the park to pass and move a lot quicker than they are. Generally we aren't moving the ball is quickly as we were at points earlier in the season. Our midfield has been really good  but I'd like to change things up. Personally I'd park Donnelly on the bench for a few weeks. I'll be perfectly honest and say I'm not a huge fan of O'Hara, he strikes me as for the most part a big guy that does loads of running about but atleast you know what your getting from him. Polworth and Campbell need to step it up.

I thought St Mirren had a decent control of the game in Paisley even when we were ahead so it's going to be a difficult few games but if we step up and play how we can we should win comfortably. Due to recent form Livi and Hibs are pretty much up our arse so I think we need to be aiming to get maximum points out our next three games which is very much achievable if the some of the new boys step up and the exisiting guys regain some of the form they showed earlier in the season. Aberdeen have Celtic on Sunday so a convincing win on Saturday could change the outlook again.

These sort of double headers often seem to result in a win and a defeat. However, forgetting about the Celtic run of games a few years ago, I can remember getting 2 home wins against Celtic in the 90's and, more recently, 2 against Dundee United. Much as losing the league game would be a sore one with the run we're on I'd probably take a win in the cup game over the 3 points. Winning both would be lovely but I just don't see where our goals are coming from.

By all accounts the heavy rain is forecast for the entire game as well as 50mph gusts. I live in the east and it has been relatively calm so far, but hopefully the game is off as attendance will be affected, pitch will be ruined and the game will be like last week if not worse. Lets wait until the slightly better conditions of Tuesday evening. 

Edited by welldaft