Motherwell P-P St Mirren (15/2/20)

EDIT: Due to the weather and forecast, the Game has been postponed. New date TBC.

Well, it's certainly not beent the best of starts for Motherwell

Only winning 1 of the last 5 league games has turned an almost guaranteed European spot into a potential bottom 6 spot. Livingston and Hibernian are catching up whilst Aberdeen have already jumped ahead on goal difference.

St mirrenn on the other had have been either drawing or losing their last few games, only being above Hamilton and hearts due to their own poor performances. After the initial Scottish cup game which finished 1-1 I would say they will not go down without a fight.

For Motherwell this has to be a must win game. Aberdeen are playing Celtic (so I suspect a celtic victory) and livingston are away to rangers. It is possible that both teams could be dropping points so a victory will help take us back into 3rd. Meanwhile hearts and Hamilton are playing each other so St Mirren will want to take as much of an advantage over those 2 as they can.

I'm certainly hoping the who issue with defense is atleast resolved before this game. We also play St Mirren again at Fir Park for the scottish cup replay so I am not sure how both teams will prepare for this.

My heart as 2-0 well but I expect a 1-1 draw.

Edited by Phillips455
Postpoment update.

31 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Surely nae danger of Motherwell dropping out of the top 6. Would need Hibs to pick up 9 extra pts, Kilmarnock 10, and Livingston 5. And that's in only 7 games.

It's not mathematically impossible yet so I'm not going to believe we are home and dry yet. It feels like an inverse of last year where we started off with a bang after a terrible previous first half. Now we are playing terrible after a great first half of th season.

I'd say this one's probably a 'must not lose' with a view to sorting ourselves out a bit and taking it from there ahead of the Cup game. Could obviously really do with a win from the league perspective though.

Curious to see what Robinson does given this is the 2nd of 3 games against them in a short period of time. I had thought there was a chance that we'd rotate a bit and going by his post-match he seemed absolutely raging with a few - wouldn't be surprised to see Tait or Mugabi involved. Maybe even a glimpse of Ndjoli on the bench after Manzinga's red card.

As @Gianfranco says a wobble was always going to be likely at some point but it feels like one of the issues at the moment is that we've went all in with the 433 and a lot of the stuff that was working for us earlier in the season isn't really happening eg: goals from Gallagher and Hartley have dried up, Polworth's assists...etc. There's (rightly) been a lot of talk about how we're missing Cole and Scott (we are) and it's pretty clear we've not really worked out what to do with the front 3 - back to middle is almost exactly the same as it was before the break.

Edited by capt_oats

We absolutely will not win both of this up and coming St.Mirren double header and personally I'd sacrifice Saturday as long as we win on Tuesday night and progress in the Scottish Cup. 

As has been the case for a while now though, it's difficult to see where goals will come from, this one will either be 0-0 or 1-0 either way.

Edited by MJC

Gillespie

Grimshaw Gallagher Hartley Carroll

Polworth

Campbell Donnelly

O'Hara Long Aarons

I realise how, quite frankly, insane this looks but I've a feeling it could work in the short term until either Watt is fit and we can try a 3-5-2 or we somehow pull ourselves out of this funk some other way. Polworth dropping deeper than the rest of the midfield would hopefully give Gallagher and Hartley another option when passing from the back rather than just hoofing it into the channels. O'Hara isn't a natural fit on the wing but should be able to do a job as an out ball, ruffling some feathers and providing the physicality we've missed since Scott left.

53 minutes ago, MJC said:

We absolutely will not win both of this up and coming St.Mirren double header and personally I'd sacrifice Saturday as long as we win on Tuesday night and progress in the Scottish Cup. 

As has been the case for a while now though, it's difficult to see where goals will come from, this one will either be 0-0 or 1-0 either way.

Give us three points on Saturday and you can have your cup run.

Deal. I'd take the 3 points over the Cup.

I’d take the cup win if offered. St Johnstone beat Celtic, Sevco pumped oot, we beat Killie at home, march to Hampden, lift the cup, and Obika does a Goncalves and becomes a lifetime cult hero. It’s written in the stars. Anyway, give up the three points in exchange for my cup winning scenario, and we’ll whip Hearts next Friday anyway. Job’s a good un’, get the open top bus booked.

Edited by pozbaird

23 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Team on a bad run? Can't win? Enter St Mirren to get your season back on track. 

No doubt another 'close defeat', hard luck, shite ref story.... 

The ref's had a fucking shocker tomorrow, to be fair. Just given everything to the home side. When is this going to start to balance out?

No Long for Motherwell tomorrow and Ndjoli is going for a scan on a knee problem. I think the personnel in the squad pretty much picks itself now.

Gillespie

Grimshaw Gallagher Hartley Carroll

Polworth Donnelly Campbell

Aarons Watt Hylton

Subs: Carson, Tait, Mugabi, O'Hara, Ilic, Seedorf, MacIver.