Ross County vs St Johnstone - 15/02/2020

Starting with Cowie and Vigurs in midfield together was horrendously bad, Draper was swamped with runners that neather Don or Iain were willing to track/mark/tackle. 

The fact that it was Draper who was hooked at ht was laughable (although he had been booked for a frustrated lunge in the centre circle). Paton was everything County needed when he came on in the second half, Cowie looked soooo off the pace he barely participated in the match!

Watching the "highlights" didn't soften the frustration any. 

The misses 😬

Spoony at 0-0. O'Halloran simply shouldn't be shooting, then when he did the effort was pathetic. Holt did well after some good football but got to do better from the finish.

Attempt coming from a blocked shot from May then Wright from Spoony that ended up about 6 yards over when middle of the goal, less said about that one the better. Likewise with Wright's attempted that followed O'Halloran being a diddy. 

Wright a little unlucky with the shot across goal that went narrowly wide but these were really great chances that by missing, regardless of the hapless goalkeeping should still have been enough to absolutely burry County. 

But... As angry as it makes me. I guess that's football as a Saints fan. 

Not much to add. Another Jeykll and Hyde performance. Not seen any highlight or replays yet but just going on memory ...

The good: First half we were excellent, a real pleasure to watch. Proper premiership football, even in stinking conditions. Spoony, McCann, Butcher in the middle all impressed, great to see Gordon back winning every single ball. May continues to improve, confident and chasing everything. Wright slowly putting his game back together. We should have had it wrapped up by then. Fantasic effort by the young away support, thanks lads. The absolute brass neck of claiming there were 3.6k in that stadium though!

The bad: Second half. Combination of County starting to go a bit wider and us sitting a few yards back. Our finishing was shown up as awful, particularly Wright whose game seems to be coming back in stages. He's stronger now, and faster, and more confident. Needs to get the delivery and finishing sorted now. Home team looked hungrier without showing any real quality. 

The ugly: Any team running at our left back/wing back will (a) be able to get a cross in and (b) will have Zander in a panic. Booth should be starting every game and get him signed up on a contract asap. If we need to sign a wing back then that's a job for the Summer. Also I'm not interested in how bad Parish is because he simply can't be worse than Zander has been these last few games. Absolute liabilty and looks like he's got PTSD every game. 

Fair play to County for digging in, quite a Hamilton-esque performance in that second half.  Hope Donaldson recovers, that looked a sore one. 

County seem to be this year's bogey team for us, every draw feels like points dropped. 

2 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

County seem to be this year's bogey team for us, every draw feels like points dropped. 

Its apparently 8 or 9 games since we beat them.

Considering I still have in my head that our record against St. Johnstone is awful I was very surprised with that stat.

There was the game that Craig Curran lost the plot which tends to leave a scar on people’s minds, I think.

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 17:11, ali_91 said:

Fourth game against Ross county this year we’ve been the better side and won none. Hard to take.

Poor second half for saints but missed three great chances, Wright’s end product... 

Going to kick f**k out of anyone in foxes who looks like they are a County fan tonight. 

Well, I was in Foxes on Saturday night.

I asked the Stewards  at the door, are under  16's allowed in tonight?

NO, was the reply, no under 16's allowed in!

Thanks for that, I was hoping that Saturday would be just another enjoyable evening, not worried about some childish Moron  thinking he was Rocky Balboa, bumping into folk hoping to start a fight, then running away with a petted lip when someone says boo to him.

10 minutes ago, Merkincher Clach & County said:

OFTW

21 minutes ago, Merkincher Clach & County said:

Thanks for that, I was hoping that Saturday would be just another enjoyable evening, not worried about some childish Moron  thinking he was Rocky Balboa, bumping into folk hoping to start a fight, then running away with a petted lip when someone says boo to him.

AA14C360-259D-44CE-8DE6-BBF5468CB7E2.png.05ea5ebf4a2578135e228819ccb63003.png

13 hours ago, frankthetank22 said:

What has happened to him, he was looking like a great prospect not that long ago? 

I think he's always conceded goals that you think 'should be the goalkeeper be doing better there?' but that's been replaced with a growing sense that he's at fault for a lot of goals.

Just recently we've conceded goals against Hearts, Motherwell and yourselves that he's definitely been at least partially culpable for and I'm not convinced by him at the goal Ayr scored against us either. There's been loads of other examples over the course of this season as well.

Just about every part of his game has gone backwards this season. His shot stopping has gotten worse, he has zero command of his penalty area these days and I think his distribution has gotten worse as the season has gone on too.

Thank god we've sorted out the defence and don't let anywhere near as many shots at goal as we did earlier in the season.

He needs to take a seat on the bench. Parish probably wont win us many points in the way Clark has done in the past but he's surely got to be more steady than Clark is being right now.

Great post.

Just now, The Saintee said:

If Clark takes that cross rather than the pathetic attempt to punch then we win the match.   

Clark needs some time out of the spotlight. Surely Parish can't be as poor as Zander is at the moment.

I agree. I don't think he's a poor keeper but putting him in the team every week is doing him no favours. 

To be fair to him he's not the only reason we lost the 3 points. Yes the goal, that and the dropped ball a few minutes before that almost gave away an OG (slippy ball in the pouring rain, is that why he wasn't confident at the cross?) were howlers. 

Meanwhile at the other end we missed a boatload of chances. Wotherspoon (2), Wright (2), MOH, Holt and Tanser all had really good opportunities that were poorly taken. On the plus side, we created a lot.