Hearts Victory Thread (featuring Hamilton Academical)

11 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

This is the problem though, people just point to the "high press" because it's a buzzword.  That's not a go at you personally, but it's everywhere and while it's hurt us before, we didn't play any sort of press yesterday. 

Fair play, I haven’t seen any of yesterday’s game. What I have seen (vs St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Hibs) Hearts have been wide open to counter attacks at times with players miles up the pitch and out of position (particularly the full backs). A more pragmatic approach would surely yield better results. 

Edited by Zing.

I think the bottom line though is while Stendel is up for  for criticism he's tried to mix it. 3 at the back, 4 at the back, it doesn't matter if the players are intent on making glaring individual errors which is happening every week.  Players need to take responsibility.

22 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

No Johnny,  that just shows how far Dundee have fallen.

We are just spinning at the bottom of our yo-yo journey, waiting to be bounced  back up, only to be dropped again immediately.

Oh my club is such a tease!

Deary fucking me. We're fucked. We just don't have it in us to win these games. 

I think every Hearts fan desperately wants Stendel to be a success but there was also a nagging feeling it wasn't the right time for this kind of appointment. So far, he hasn't improved us at all.

I think some are forgetting that our defence was horrendous under Levein as well, though. Check out the highlights from the Ross County/Hamilton/Motherwell home games from earlier in the season if you've forgotten. We just have a shit defence, Halkett has been a big disappointment and Souttar has looked a shadow of the player he was in 2018 since returning. Our full-backs, Smith aside, are very poor defenders as well.

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

The sportsound team hounding Stendel is all just because hes not one of the "lads".

Hes won 1 game in 11, spent a (relative) fortune in the January window, refuses to change a style which clearly isnt working, and his only Plan B, once his initial plan inevitably has you losing, is to chuck as many strikers on the park as possible.

I understand Hearts fans want to like him, and want to believe his style of play will bring results, but literally nothing points to him doing anything other than relegating you, and he has to take a fair share of the blame for that.

Levein clearly takes some blame aswell, but I find this narrative that Stendel is blameless totally bizarre. 

53 minutes ago, greyman said:

There chat stendels getting his jotters and Robertson looked at. Could be the rumoured alessio situation that there was a get out clause with no loss to either party

Please no, or if that is to happen, can it be after Friday please?

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes won 1 game in 11, spent a (relative) fortune in the January window, refuses to change a style which clearly isnt working, and his only Plan B, once his initial plan inevitably has you losing, is to chuck as many strikers on the park as possible.

I understand Hearts fans want to like him, and want to believe his style of play will bring results, but literally nothing points to him doing anything other than relegating you, and he has to take a fair share of the blame for that.

Levein clearly takes some blame aswell, but I find this narrative that Stendel is blameless totally bizarre. 

If you really think about it it's not really that bizarre, he has taken over a squad and a club run in to the ground by Levein and Budge, the previous manager is still around at the club along with his sidekick, it's unbelievably fucked up.

He's working with players who have only been used to losing and is trying to change their mentality and attitude all while in a relegation battle where every game is massive pressure to win. The individual mistakes of players (goalkeeper especially) is absolutely killing us.

There's been a few players rushed in the door, most of which on short term deals to try and cover for the latest batch of shite Levein has brought in that have had to be punted or they can't play because they are so bad.

If we survive this season I'll say he's done a very good job then after the summer when hopefully Levein, Budge, MacPhee and all the rest of it will finally be gone then I'll start judging him properly.

Folk thinking they look intelligent by rabidly defending any foreign diddy like Alessio or Stendel are just as bad as the Sportsound old boys club imo. Desperate to look like they know more about football than some strawman dinosaur that they've created.

7 minutes ago, Shteve said:

If you really think about it it's not really that bizarre, he has taken over a squad and a club run in to the ground by Levein and Budge, the previous manager is still around at the club along with his sidekick, it's unbelievably fucked up.

He's working with players who have only been used to losing and is trying to change their mentality and attitude all while in a relegation battle where every game is massive pressure to win. The individual mistakes of players (goalkeeper especially) is absolutely killing us.

There's been a few players rushed in the door, most of which on short term deals to try and cover for the latest batch of shite Levein has brought in that have had to be punted or they can't play because they are so bad.

If we survive this season I'll say he's done a very good job then after the summer when hopefully Levein, Budge, MacPhee and all the rest of it will finally be gone then I'll start judging him properly.

I cant agree, you're painting him as if hes been given a thankless task. He was given a mid-season pre-season to work on the shape/tactics, has been given free reign to punt any player he wants, was given a relatively huge budget to sign players he wanted (you apparently outbid Aberdeen for Boyce), and theres not a single positive to come put it, apart from one result against a Rangers side which looks less and less impressive as they flail about.

A good manager goes in there, makes you hard to beat and shits out enough points to drag you to safety. Stendels made Hearts easier to beat.

Yesterday was my first visit to Tynecastle in a long time and absolutely nothing I witnessed would want me to hurry back any time in the foreseeable future .

It was interesting to hear quite a few Hearts fans actually praising some of the players for doing basic stuff, which would normally go unnoticed, and that in its self shows how accustomed they’ve become watching this utter dross.

The team had no shape , no fight and no leadership and no one ever looked hungry for the ball.

Relegation definitely beckons 

5 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Yesterday was my first visit to Tynecastle in a long time and absolutely nothing I witnessed would want me to hurry back any time in the foreseeable future .

It was interesting to hear quite a few Hearts fans actually praising some of the players for doing basic stuff, which would normally go unnoticed, and that in its self shows how accustomed they’ve become watching this utter dross.

The team had no shape , no fight and no leadership and no one ever looked hungry for the ball.

Relegation definitely beckons 

123687032_orig(1).gif.166fd100eb07b24800fedf90f51312a4.gif

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I cant agree, you're painting him as if hes been given a thankless task. He was given a mid-season pre-season to work on the shape/tactics, has been given free reign to punt any player he wants, was given a relatively huge budget to sign players he wanted (you apparently outbid Aberdeen for Boyce), and theres not a single positive to come put it, apart from one result against a Rangers side which looks less and less impressive as they flail about.

A good manager goes in there, makes you hard to beat and shits out enough points to drag you to safety. Stendels made Hearts easier to beat.

We're not easier to beat, if we were then we'd have lost a lot more games, we're certainly more attacking, not that it would be hard as scoring goals was the last thing Craig Levein thought about, the goalkeeper has really fucked us over on numerous occasions not helped with an abysmal defence, Halkett and Souttar have been murder.

You speak like it's an easy fix when it clearly isn't given our form over a year and a half/2 years, Budge allowed Levein free reign to destroy this club and now we are fucked, once that rot sets in it is so difficult to get out of it.

19 minutes ago, Shteve said:

We're not easier to beat, if we were then we'd have lost a lot more games, we're certainly more attacking, not that it would be hard as scoring goals was the last thing Craig Levein thought about, the goalkeeper has really fucked us over on numerous occasions not helped with an abysmal defence, Halkett and Souttar have been murder.

You speak like it's an easy fix when it clearly isn't given our form over a year and a half/2 years, Budge allowed Levein free reign to destroy this club and now we are fucked, once that rot sets in it is so difficult to get out of it.

You are, I'd be amazed if your rate of conceding isnt much, much higher per game now than it was under Levein.

Statistically St Johnstone have the worst performing keeper in the league, yet have a manager competent enough to build a side who can prevent teams scoring and give themselves a chance of winning. Stendel has you shipping about 2/3 goals a game, you're never going to win games regularly like that.

It's bad management, and it's just daft to pin that entirely on a goalkeeper/defence/previous manager, who weren't having the same issues before Stendel was appointed.

You can now directly compare Leveins 11 games this season to Stendels.

Levein has 1 win, 5 losses, 10 goals scored, 15 goals conceded, 8 points.

Stendel has 1 win, 6 losses, 14 goals scored, 21 goals conceded, 7 points.

Theres only so much blame you can shift away from Stendel surely? He signed multiple players he apparently targeted and got his main target in Boyce, and also has Souttar/Naismith/Washington to play with where Levein didnt.

Edited by RandomGuy.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You are, I'd be amazed if your rate of conceding isnt much, much higher per game now than it was under Levein.

Statistically St Johnstone have the worst performing keeper in the league, yet have a manager competent enough to build a side who can prevent teams scoring and give themselves a chance of winning. Stendel has you shipping about 2/3 goals a game, you're never going to win games regularly like that.

It's bad management, and it's just daft to pin that entirely on a goalkeeper/defence/previous manager, who weren't having the same issues before Stendel was appointed.

Stendel has 1 win, 6 losses, 11 goals scored, 21 goals conceded, 7 points.

Theres only so much blame you can shift away from Stendel surely? He signed multiple players he apparently targeted and got his main target in Boyce, and also has Souttar/Naismith/Washington to play with where Levein didnt.

I'm not saying Stendel is blameless, I expected us to pick up more wins, yesterday I expected us to beat Hamilton and it was a very bad result but the main person to blame for his form over a much longer period, the position we are in and the amount of average to terrible players in the squad is Levein.

I will hold fire before going all in on Stendel until our fate has been sealed, if we do survive then next season will be where he has to get us back to where we should be which is top 6 at the absolute minimum.

Easy just to say 'aye the new boy is pish' without looking at the bigger picture.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Stendel has 1 win, 6 losses, 14 goals scored, 21 goals conceded, 7 points.

Stendel's first 5 games were a rabble and in quick succession, he had no idea of the players strengths or abilities, never had all the players back you mentioned and the place was toxic.  As well as being left shit from Levein our manager search went on 6 weeks with no uplift at all.  Using those games in a direct comparison seems to unbalanced considering he had guys like MacLean leading the line.  He then emptied a good 6/7 from that squad he had available. 

1 minute ago, Tony Wonder said:

Stendel's first 5 games were a rabble and in quick succession, he had no idea of the players strengths or abilities, never had all the players back you mentioned and the place was toxic.  As well as being left shit from Levein our manager search went on 6 weeks with no uplift at all.  Using those games in a direct comparison seems to unbalanced considering he had guys like MacLean leading the line.  He then emptied a good 6/7 from that squad he had available. 

In the last 6 games you've conceded 14 goals and won 1 game, if that's the period of time you're judging him on.

Below St Mirren in that form table, but above Hamilton.