Time for change ??

Redondo

9 minutes ago, Chris Brown said:

Let’s be realistic whilst it would wet the appetite there’s no chance this is gonna happen.

any amateur team with appropriate facilities can apply to join the pyramid. however the elite teams left should consider joining the juniors that are left. the junior fa would have to relax there ground rules a bit but I don't see a problem if they want to continue as a grade.

1 hour ago, humphrey said:

any amateur team with appropriate facilities can apply to join the pyramid. however the elite teams left should consider joining the juniors that are left. the junior fa would have to relax there ground rules a bit but I don't see a problem if they want to continue as a grade.

Amateur teams playing against teams who pay their players.

Couldn't happen☺

I think bringing together all the leagues in Scotland would definitely bring greater interest to the game. You would need to start with a Premier League, First Division and Second Division then having regionalised leagues feeding in to the structure.

No reason why the existing committees from all the leagues can't come together to form something bigger and better whilst all having a say in what the best is for the amateur game.

For the top three divisions you would have a working committee from all over Scotland, then your regionalised leagues would be committees from those regions for example a west of scotland league with reps from Central, SAFL, Caley, GGPL etc. Saturday morning would need to be kept separate from the overall set up but could still apply to be in the big cup competitions. 

The hardest part would be deciding who started where in the divisions. You can't just lump together the caley and the central as Leafa, Stirling, Aberdeen, SAFL teams etc would all have an axe to grind. It would need to be a criteria in place covering league positions over past 5 years, major cup runs over last 5 years, A points system to decide who would merit a place but it would take a lot of work.

12 minutes ago, justagoalie said:

Amateur teams playing against teams who pay their players.

Couldn't happen☺

you wouldn,t be an amateur team you would be a junior team and most of the junior teams that are going to be left are basically amateur teams anyway. what would you do if the junior teams left apply to join the amateurs? 

17 minutes ago, humphrey said:

you wouldn,t be an amateur team you would be a junior team and most of the junior teams that are going to be left are basically amateur teams anyway. what would you do if the junior teams left apply to join the amateurs? 

They would start at the bottom of whatever league they joined I would think. 

And I don't think many amateur teams would want to be junior and vice versa.

Edited by justagoalie
Added content

19 hours ago, Redondo said:

With all that is going on in Junior football the now with quite a few teams from the West expressing desire's to join the pyramid in a potential WOSFL, surely that could well be the end for the Junior game?

What then for the future of the Ammie game? 

With the Ammie game seemingly in decline also it must be time for the powers that be to look at ways of re energizing our game? The answers on how they do it won't be easy to find but the time is coming for change I feel. 

One thing I would suggest would be for Leagues to merge together. 

Central & Caley for example, say between them they got 60 teams split over 4 leagues,

14 team Super League, 14 team Premier League, and 1st/2nd divs made up of 16 teams each.

Surely this would be a very attractive scenario for all teams/players and it would give u balanced and competitive leagues. 

I dont know the politics involved with committees etc and if something like this would even get considered as an idea but for me it would definetely be an exciting prospect. 

Personally dont think the ammie game can go on in its current state and expect things to pick up, it has to make changes.

Thoughts anyone?

WOS teams are not joining the pyramid, they've refused entry into 'tier 6' or so i am led to believe.

Not sure the answer to prevent the dwindling numbers of teams but it’s a nation wide problem. For me a change to summer football is the only way forward. Training and playing in this weather regardless a 4g or grass is absolutely brutal. Would get two games a week too.

2 hours ago, Gazzah said:

Not sure the answer to prevent the dwindling numbers of teams but it’s a nation wide problem. For me a change to summer football is the only way forward. Training and playing in this weather regardless a 4g or grass is absolutely brutal. Would get two games a week too.

Would also reduce the ever increasing cost aswell.

Maybe adopting a similar season to the 35s and playing March-oct may work? Its another idea that I think needs looked at.

For me it’s the only way to save the death of this level of grassroots football. Folk going on holidays isn’t the issue these days. It’s not a shock the 35s is booming. Unless the safa take action over the next year or two then in 5 years there won’t be many teams/leagues left.

1 hour ago, Gazzah said:

For me it’s the only way to save the death of this level of grassroots football. Folk going on holidays isn’t the issue these days. It’s not a shock the 35s is booming. Unless the safa take action over the next year or two then in 5 years there won’t be many teams/leagues left.

summer football is long overdue at our level but the only way is for the clubs to take action themselves through their own leagues. nobody will do it for us but ourselves. 

13 hours ago, Bridgewater said:

Possibly an ignorant question here, but why is it so important that leagues "keep their own identity"? From the outside it looks nothing more than an ego trip.

Surely we already have who we need spread across all the leagues in each region, we have people who want to be involved in the game, people who want to support the game and most importantly people who love the game.

There appears to be a few office bearers/committee members of leagues who want to stifle and hinder progress for the sake of history or sentiment to a league name, which is just that, a name only.

Using Redondo's example above, i think this could be a foundation for a great idea and genuinely don't understand why some one from either league would pick up the phone and say "in our opinion, we have the 2 best leagues in the region, why don't we merge all the teams and create what would most likely be a superb set up with teams playing new opponents, going to new pitches and experiencing new referees"

I hope people dont think i am suggesting i have all the answers as i clearly don't, but whether people want to admit it or not, the amateur game as a whole is dying on its arse and it needs not just change, but radical change to give it a fresh boost.

Bridgewater - not ignorant question not sure the answer but I know for a fact it was a big issue years ago when this was talked about so I have to assume its still a big issue thus why our proposals include keep your Leagues name, We at the SAFL are the oldest League in Scotland ( Est 1900 ] even older than the SAFA so more to lose than any other League

Its been said to me The SAFL are putting forward these proposals as we are loosing teams to other Leagues, yes that's partial true but in turn these same Leagues are having teams fold year after year.....so this is how its in all our interest 

Bridgewater - not ignorant question not sure the answer but I know for a fact it was a big issue years ago when this was talked about so I have to assume its still a big issue thus why our proposals include keep your Leagues name, We at the SAFL are the oldest League in Scotland ( Est 1900 ] even older than the SAFA so more to lose than any other League
Its been said to me The SAFL are putting forward these proposals as we are loosing teams to other Leagues, yes that's partial true but in turn these same Leagues are having teams fold year after year.....so this is how its in all our interest 

But keeping your league’s name is selfish. The future of amateur football is what is important, not what the name of the league the teams play in or who is on the committee.

Why don’t you put a proposal forward that says ‘We don’t care what the league is called, we don’t care who is in the committee but we care passionately about the future of amateur football?’

The SAFL as a respectable force is finished, for now, sadly. The loss of Oban, Alba, St Joes, Thorn and and add to that Motherwell Thistle being consumed by a gang dumped from the Caledonian League has left it in a position that probably isn’t recoverable.

54 minutes ago, NewBallsPlease said:

But keeping your league’s name is selfish. The future of amateur football is what is important, not what the name of the league the teams play in or who is on the committee.

Why don’t you put a proposal forward that says ‘We don’t care what the league is called, we don’t care who is in the committee but we care passionately about the future of amateur football?’

The SAFL as a respectable force is finished, for now, sadly. The loss of Oban, Alba, St Joes, Thorn and and add to that Motherwell Thistle being consumed by a gang dumped from the Caledonian League has left it in a position that probably isn’t recoverable.

New balls please - neither do I care but others do !!!...………………. and we did put forward proposals so please read the my other post   ………….and as for your pop at the SAFL  heard for the last 20 years we always recover that's why other Leagues take our teams.

Edited by auld yin wae knowledge

New balls please - neither do I care but others do !!!...………………. and we did put forward proposals so please read the my other post   ………….and as for your pop at the SAFL  heard for the last 20 years we always recover that's why other Leagues take our teams.

Other leagues dont, "take" your teams. They leave of their own accord to go to another league. You should maybe have a wee think about why that is??

Not looking for this thread to get into a slagging match lads. 

To look at it from a team/league perspective in terms of comparison, the Central league is considered to have the stronger teams (down to opinions) , imo next season the Central Premier will potentially be the most competitve its been in a long time with what looks like the inclusion of Oban/Gartcosh/Castlemilk. I would expect 2 out they 3 to be in it anyway.

With this in mind, these teams will get stronger due to being able to draw players who will want to play in a competitve league. Other 'big' clubs from other leagues will look at that and if they have any ambition will want to play in that environment. What im trying to say is that the more big Clubs that continue to move on to ur Central/Caley leagues means the other leagues are falling behind hence why they should be looking to come together in some capacity. 

Surely the League Committees have ideas in mind to bring the Ammie game forward? 

Im no believing they r that set in there ways that they dont think change has to happen sooner than later!!