Qp vs Elgin

1 hour ago, houstonspider said:
12 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:
Whats this Gretna six story?

A mass pitch invasion by 6 fans followed by an SFA led witch hunt to bring them to book. IIRC the supporters club shop was selling t-shirts with the slogan "Justice for the Gretna Six".

There was more than that but El Presidente Pomposo only found out the identity of six (and another fan grassed himself in to so he didn't get a letter) The Crimestoppers  phone line has never been so busy.

We somehow escaped a massive fine from the SFA over this atrocity but Gretna 2008 had to play their next home game with that area of the ground closed.

14 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

We somehow escaped a massive fine from the SFA over this atrocity but Gretna 2008 had to play their next home game with that area of the ground closed.

That was the bit that really got me. I thought the original indignation was because of some ridiculous dancing on the pitch but when the afters happened my immediate thought was it would be Gretna that would have copped their whack. I respect that the Committe have a duty to protect the club but apart from the way they treated their travelling fans it was also pretty thoughtless about their hosts' position.

The SFA were actually fair about it - it wasn't just encroachment, which is an offence, their linesman (not ours!) was hugged and kissed in the most ungentlemanly way. It must have been distressing for the Referees Association to find an instance of fans behaving warmly to a match official. Reputation could have been in tatters. Thankfully it was a one-off.

Would expect a similiar circumstance to be handled completely differently these days. The Edinburgh One was quietly disposed of without consequence for either teams. As it should be. 

5 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Would expect a similiar circumstance to be handled completely differently these days. The Edinburgh One was quietly disposed of without consequence for either teams. As it should be. 

It could have been The Edinburgh Two but they thought the other guy was just a disillusioned ball boy.

Incidentally, the fan involved apologised to our incoming President in the social club after the game. He knew nothing about it but told him " Don't worry about it, I might have done the same if I was in your position" . A guy that understands the game and the passion involved. He should do as good a job as Gerry.

They showed a better angle of it on a round up of the competition on cup final day. Haven't seen it since. The master copy is probably in a safe at the home of our former President. 

Well there were a number of photos that the ex-President sent out to supporters of the incident. Obviously there were no more pressing matters at the time such as talking to the SFA about the future of Hampden.

13 hours ago, Boris the Spider said:

I had heard the other guy had dived back under the fence when he saw the stewards coming - leaving his pal in the lurch.

That's what I heard as well. Wisely using his years of experience imo 

14 hours ago, Boris the Spider said:

Well there were a number of photos that the ex-President sent out to supporters of the incident. Obviously there were no more pressing matters at the time such as talking to the SFA about the future of Hampden.

Well said Boris. Despite being warned, I understand, by a Past President of the club about the SFA lease on Hampden, he and others just buried their head in the sand and got on with chasing the Gretna six. Great t-shirt by the way and of course all money they raised by selling it was donated to the club for the youth system.

10 hours ago, Dooflick said:

Great t-shirt by the way and of course all money they raised by selling it was donated to the club for the youth system.

It was but no thanks were ever offered by the ex-president. Seemed more concerned about covering his own back.

Thankfully the present president seems more concerned about the good of the club.

Did you ever get a reply to your e-mail re the frisking from the club?
Yes, it is indeed a club policy. I promised not to reproduce on here exactly what was in the response as it was a genuinely honest response essentially describing a rock and a hard place situation and a fear of potential consequences. I asked if the club would be willing to review the policy on the strength of supporter feeling to identify a way forward balancing risk, likelihood and customer experience. I've not heard back on that.

24 minutes ago, houstonspider said:
6 hours ago, Dooflick said:
Did you ever get a reply to your e-mail re the frisking from the club?

Yes, it is indeed a club policy. I promised not to reproduce on here exactly what was in the response as it was a genuinely honest response essentially describing a rock and a hard place situation and a fear of potential consequences. I asked if the club would be willing to review the policy on the strength of supporter feeling to identify a way forward balancing risk, likelihood and customer experience. I've not heard back on that.

It would be nice if whatever they do going forward if everyone was treated equally. They obviously think there is less risk form a member who pays more money compared with the ruffian season ticket holders and lowly supporters. I can't say the frisk bothers me but the hypocrisy certainly does.

It would be nice if whatever they do going forward if everyone was treated equally. They obviously think there is less risk form a member who pays more money compared with the ruffian season ticket holders and lowly supporters. I can't say the frisk bothers me but the hypocrisy certainly does.
Essentially the club set out with the best of intentions to remove risk by issuing the instruction to search everyone going through the turnstiles but due to unavailability of resources and an unwillingness to apply the policy at the main entrance the club has sleepwalked into implementing a policy which discriminates between males and females and members and supporters. That's it in a nutshell.

19 hours ago, houstonspider said:
21 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

Essentially the club set out with the best of intentions to remove risk by issuing the instruction to search everyone going through the turnstiles but due to unavailability of resources and an unwillingness to apply the policy at the main entrance the club has sleepwalked into implementing a policy which discriminates between males and females and members and supporters. That's it in a nutshell.

Unbelievable!!!!!