Qp vs Elgin

19 hours ago, Ben Reilly said:

I never really understand all the complaints about the searching at hampden. True, I've never experienced at any other ground or at Scotland games, but it really makes no difference to my day whether I'm searched or not.
It's the same guys at the turnstile every week, sometimes they stop me for a search, sometimes they dont. If I'm stopped I'm out in the rain for an extra 10 seconds max (it's not really a very thorough search). I've seen folk standing objecting to it for a few minutes (only to give in and get searched anyway) and all it does is delay them and others getting into the ground.
Whether anyone likes it or not, it's obviously the policy at our home games, and it's unlikely to change while we're still playing at Hampden. If you go expecting a ten second search, you wont be disappointed, if you dont get stopped think of it as a bonus.
Or get your self worked up about it, spend a few minutes in the cold upsetting yourself in front of people who, to be honest, just think your making a tit of yourself, and then moan about it later on an internet forum.
I know which suits me better.

Exactly.

Fans should just accept being treated like this. And clubs should never aspire to make football an inviting , welcoming place to go.

We, as fans, should just shut up and not "make a tit of ourselves", amarite Ben?

Exactly.
Fans should just accept being treated like this. And clubs should never aspire to make football an inviting , welcoming place to go.
We, as fans, should just shut up and not "make a tit of ourselves", amarite Ben?
Oh alright then, I'll bite.

Yes, I think fans should just accept that when you go to a QP match at Hampden you may get searched, just the same as you may do at other games or other forms of entertainment such as concerts, as that is the policy at that particular venue/event. I dont plan to check, but I wouldn't be surprised if most clubs have some disclaimer about the possibility of being searched in the policies somewhere on their website/programme/back of the ticket etc.
I fully agree that for QP games the policy is unnecessary and inconsistent (males searched but females aren't, folk who go in the main door dont need searched etc.).
However my question was what difference does it really make whether your searched or not? (unless you're trying to smuggle something in, in which case give it to your sister or go in the main door), and what good does complaining to the stewards do? (and making a tit of yourself in the process), their only doing the job they've been asked/told to do.
If you have an issue with it then by all means raise it with the committee or the secretary. While as many have commented, it might not be taken on board, perhaps if enough people do it they may eventually act on it.

What are peoples objections to being searched? Is it just because we seem to be the only club who do it? Or do people think it's a violation of their rights? Or do people just think its unnecessary? I dont know, but personally it doesn't bother me and I'm happy to accept that the policy means I may be searched and it really doesn't have any impact on my day.

As you will see from a number of my posts on P&B over the last year or more I very much think that QP (and other clubs) should be doing everything they can to make games more welcoming for everyone. Of course, some people are put off by the thought of being searched, but perhaps others are more comfortable going to a game, or bringing children or elderly relatives when they know that there is less chance of the person sitting beside them finishing their half bottle then lobbing it on the pitch, or setting off a flare in the row behind them. Extreme and unlikely examples I realise, but not out with the realms of possibility.

My objection to being searched is that it is a pointless display of authority that doesn't make anyone any safer. I don't think I've been searched at any other lower league ground and there's been no issues. 

This, it’s not a league requirement and we therefore shouldn’t do it.

I too am extremely annoyed to be searched at home games, totally unnecessary. As has been said, if we're too entice new supporters to lesser I hope were going to get rid of this prompto.

You miss the point 'Ben Reilly'  the vast majority of fans are making here, its not how you feel about it, its how potential new supporters feel!

Edited by PASSANDMOVE

I agree with Ben that it is not right to complain to the stewards re searches. We should respect that they are there to do a job (on the lowest pay level) under instruction and it does not cause inconvenience. I do not consider the search as anything other than stupid. To stand and argue is defeatist. I do object to the principle of QP carrying out searches on fans while members can swan about the centre stand and enter through the main door without question. The inconsistency is ludicrous. When I asked about this a few years back I did not receive the courtesy of a reply, a main reason why I have refused to apply for membership having been invited on several occasions. The main point I would make, and it is not original, is that QP should surely want to make game day as pleasant as possible to attract more people in. If there is no point in doing something or it isn't being done properly why do it at all?

1 hour ago, NathanQP said:

This, it’s not a league requirement and we therefore shouldn’t do it.

..and before anyone says, it might be a stadium requirement as directed by the SFA who run Hampden....well, given this isn't a rule at internationals or cup finals then that's clearly bollocks

1 hour ago, Ben Reilly said:

Oh alright then, I'll bite.

Yes, I think fans should just accept that when you go to a QP match at Hampden you may get searched, just the same as you may do at other games or other forms of entertainment such as concerts, as that is the policy at that particular venue/event. I dont plan to check, but I wouldn't be surprised if most clubs have some disclaimer about the possibility of being searched in the policies somewhere on their website/programme/back of the ticket etc.
I fully agree that for QP games the policy is unnecessary and inconsistent (males searched but females aren't, folk who go in the main door dont need searched etc.).
However my question was what difference does it really make whether your searched or not? (unless you're trying to smuggle something in, in which case give it to your sister or go in the main door), and what good does complaining to the stewards do? (and making a tit of yourself in the process), their only doing the job they've been asked/told to do.
If you have an issue with it then by all means raise it with the committee or the secretary. While as many have commented, it might not be taken on board, perhaps if enough people do it they may eventually act on it.

What are peoples objections to being searched? Is it just because we seem to be the only club who do it? Or do people think it's a violation of their rights? Or do people just think its unnecessary? I dont know, but personally it doesn't bother me and I'm happy to accept that the policy means I may be searched and it really doesn't have any impact on my day.

As you will see from a number of my posts on P&B over the last year or more I very much think that QP (and other clubs) should be doing everything they can to make games more welcoming for everyone. Of course, some people are put off by the thought of being searched, but perhaps others are more comfortable going to a game, or bringing children or elderly relatives when they know that there is less chance of the person sitting beside them finishing their half bottle then lobbing it on the pitch, or setting off a flare in the row behind them. Extreme and unlikely examples I realise, but not out with the realms of possibility.

I agree with the point you've made that clubs should try to make games more welcoming for everyone.

But I don't think fans should just accept getting searched. As you've mentioned - it's inconsistent, in terms of who's searched and in comparison to other lower league matches. It's also inconsistent with games held at the same stadium that would probably be classed as higher risk (Scotland games and non-old firm Scottish Cup semis and finals).

I think fans should use their voices to (constructively) feedback their concerns about QP's search policy. Whether that's to stewards on the day (who can hopefully let their bosses know), by by contacting the club directly, or by speaking to the club's fans/club members on forums.

I appreciate getting searched isn't a concern for you, but again as you mention, it may put others off. Which is ultimately what QP don't want to do!

30 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

..and before anyone says, it might be a stadium requirement as directed by the SFA who run Hampden....well, given this isn't a rule at internationals or cup finals then that's clearly bollocks

But the SPFL govern league matches, not the SFA.

According to the current issue of the SPFL Rules & Regulations, section H: Stadia, clase H25-39 (which I'm sure you know) is the only section dealing with Unacceptable Conduct. Can't find anything about taking bottles of Vimto off a wean. Sections H27.3 & H27.4 deal with writing of offensive stuff a la Green Brigade (as was witnessed when HD got frisked at Killie recently, or at least his bag did) which is fair enough but there's nothing in the governing body's rules about plastic bottles. So where does this mysterious activity stem from? Surely not a Stasi ruse to get you to buy the wean's ginger at the uber expensive shop?

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

4 hours ago, spiders4ever said:

And any possible reason for the search policy.

I have heard, and understand, that at least four members of the Committee  read this forum, lets hope that they can now see how unhappy we all are with this policy and do something about it. Not being a member I cannot go in the main door and so far, as I said earlier, I have not been frisked. However, if I am picked out should I not let him touch me, and if he does, should I 'phone the Police and have him charged with assault? Would that not prove embarrassing for the club when it hits the newspapers? As it surely would.

I am going to write to the Club Secretary to ask why the club has this policy and if there are plans to review it in the light of how the club wants to present itself going forward. I will let you know if i get a response and would encourage others to take 5 mins and drop the club an email.

I'm trying to encourage a few folks to come along on the 29th but it will be embarrassing if they all get frisked.

3 minutes ago, houstonspider said:

I am going to write to the Club Secretary to ask why the club has this policy and if there are plans to review it in the light of how the club wants to present itself going forward. I will let you know if i get a response and would encourage others to take 5 mins and drop the club an email.

I'm trying to encourage a few folks to come along on the 29th but it will be embarrassing if they all get frisked.

I'd go and speak to one of the committee. Possibly a better chance of either an explanation or some sort of compromise. 

Email sent.

I too am extremely annoyed to be searched at home games, totally unnecessary. As has been said, if we're too entice new supporters to lesser I hope were going to get rid of this prompto.
You miss the point 'Ben Reilly'  the vast majority of fans are making here, its not how you feel about it, its how potential new supporters feel!

I do understand the point about new supporters, however I I think the whole thing is blown out of proportion.
Compared to most on here, I am a fairly "new supporter" having only been able to regularly get to home games in the last few years. In all that time there have been searches and I always just accepted it, and never thought much of it.
I dont really buy the argument that we're limiting the numbers of new supporters due to searching. I would expect that most people these days are used to occasional searches at sporting and entertainment events, especially when they see a fairly well know firm of stewards outside the stadium. Most wouldn't think anything of it.... until they see a 'regular' giving the steward a hard time about it (and making a tit of themselves[emoji6])

To be clear, i am not saying that i think the searches are necessary, and would have no issue if the practice was stopped. My point was simply that, while i accept the inconsistencies in how it is applied, i dont see what all the fuss is about a 10 second pat down on the way into the ground.

I agree with the point you've made that clubs should try to make games more welcoming for everyone.
But I don't think fans should just accept getting searched. As you've mentioned - it's inconsistent, in terms of who's searched and in comparison to other lower league matches. It's also inconsistent with games held at the same stadium that would probably be classed as higher risk (Scotland games and non-old firm Scottish Cup semis and finals).
I think fans should use their voices to (constructively) feedback their concerns about QP's search policy. Whether that's to stewards on the day (who can hopefully let their bosses know), by by contacting the club directly, or by speaking to the club's fans/club members on forums.
I appreciate getting searched isn't a concern for you, but again as you mention, it may put others off. Which is ultimately what QP don't want to do!
A perfectly reasonable response, which I think echoes many of the points I've been making.
The key word in your post is 'constructively'. I have never said that people who disagree with the searches shouldn't raise their concerns with the club. My original post was primarily questioning the actions of those who make a fuss arguing about it with the stewards (and making a ti.....ok I'll drop that bit now [emoji6])
Again, I agree that of course we want to encourage as many people as possible to come to games and feel welcome, but as per my response to PASSANDMOVE I'm not sure it will really be a deal breaker for the majority of potential new fans.

I have heard, and understand, that at least four members of the Committee  read this forum, lets hope that they can now see how unhappy we all are with this policy and do something about it. Not being a member I cannot go in the main door and so far, as I said earlier, I have not been frisked. However, if I am picked out should I not let him touch me, and if he does, should I 'phone the Police and have him charged with assault? Would that not prove embarrassing for the club when it hits the newspapers? As it surely would.
I have posted on here before that I know of plenty of occasions when non members have simply paid for admission at the table set up inside the main entrance with no questions asked. I have never seen anything to say that the main door is for members only, but maybe it's an unwritten rule.
There are many aspects of membership which are not well communicated (I.e. nothing on the website/facebook/programme to encourage new members)
Hopefully that's something else any committee members reading could put on the agenda?