The Caley v Rangers under 17s

TheScarf

Part of me feels some sympathy for Aitken with the way this has been handled. He has had a howler, but if this had been dealt with properly it would have been forgotten by the next day once it had been overturned. Outside of Inverness it's a game no-one could have cared less about. Instead he's had millions of views online of his mistake, and people are still slating him days later.

Ironically, it seems they have tried to protect the referee by sticking with his decision, but by doing this have hung him out to dry.

Why has this turned into “let’s crucify the referee”? There are dodgy yellow cards dished out every day football matches are played. No one can be sure what a referee at any time actually sees, apart from the referee himself. The problem here is solely the panel who looked at this at their leisure, from different angles, at different speeds, and as many times as they wanted, and couldn’t see what was in front of their faces. 

Why has this turned into “let’s crucify the referee”? There are dodgy yellow cards dished out every day football matches are played. No one can be sure what a referee at any time actually sees, apart from the referee himself. The problem here is solely the panel who looked at this at their leisure, from different angles, at different speeds, and as many times as they wanted, and couldn’t see what was in front of their faces. 
Part of me feels some sympathy for Aitken with the way this has been handled. He has had a howler, but if this had been dealt with properly it would have been forgotten by the next day once it had been overturned. Outside of Inverness it's a game no-one could have cared less about. Instead he's had millions of views online of his mistake, and people are still slating him days later.
Ironically, it seems they have tried to protect the referee by sticking with his decision, but by doing this have hung him out to dry.

Yeh, absolutely. Aye, the referee has made a bad and inexplicable mistake. Not that it's any consolation to Keatings, but imagine it had happened to us in the forthcoming Scottish Cup quarter final against Hibs for example, rather than the Tunnocks' semi final against Rangers' U20s.

Most of us within the Scottish football bubble know that the SFA's panel has come off worse than the referee in this, with Gary Lineker and various others tweeting and making it go viral though I do feel for the referee. Not that they're wrong to highlight it, it was a mad decision, I just think that outside of Scottish football fans the narrative might be unfairly focused on the referee rather than the fact the decision wasn't overturned, which is the most ridiculous thing.

Completely unrelated, but let's not forget that Gary Lineker shat himself on the pitch in a World Cup match while wearing an all-white strip. His missus though. Wid.

6 hours ago, Jarballs said:

Yeh, absolutely. Aye, the referee has made a bad and inexplicable mistake. Not that it's any consolation to Keatings, but imagine it had happened to us in the forthcoming Scottish Cup quarter final against Hibs for example, rather than the Tunnocks' semi final against Rangers' U20s.

Most of us within the Scottish football bubble know that the SFA's panel has come off worse than the referee in this, with Gary Lineker and various others tweeting and making it go viral though I do feel for the referee. Not that they're wrong to highlight it, it was a mad decision, I just think that outside of Scottish football fans the narrative might be unfairly focused on the referee rather than the fact the decision wasn't overturned, which is the most ridiculous thing.

Completely unrelated, but let's not forget that Gary Lineker shat himself on the pitch in a World Cup match while wearing an all-white strip. His missus though. Wid.

That's exactly it. Slating the referee takes away from the real issue here which is a systematic failure and that is what everyone's focus should be on.

Having a go at the referee for a mistake just reduces the issue down to the usual fans moaning that you get every week in every game and means that the real issue here is lost.

I looked up the video out of interest because they were making such a big fuss of it on off the ball. Think you are being way too harsh on the Referee here. On the behind the goal camera it’s not obvious there’s any contact and he looks like he goes down quite enthusiastically. From the opposite angle there’s clearly some contact . From the refs angle he probably sees the enthusiastic fall and makes an assumption if he hasn’t seen the contact. Sounds like the SFA has come to its senses though and is looking at it again.

1 minute ago, steakpiegravy said:

I looked up the video out of interest because they were making such a big fuss of it on off the ball. Think you are being way too harsh on the Referee here. On the behind the goal camera it’s not obvious there’s any contact and he looks like he goes down quite enthusiastically. From the opposite angle there’s clearly some contact . From the refs angle he probably sees the enthusiastic fall and makes an assumption if he hasn’t seen the contact. Sounds like the SFA has come to its senses though and is looking at it again.

From what I've gathered, it's not so much the referee's decision that's getting it in the neck (I too can understand), but more the appeals process who bizarrely agreed with it despite having as good a view as you'll ever get.

They’d have been better off just admitting the system is broken and saying they’ll be overhauling it at the end of the season, rather than inventing a procedural failing as an excuse for overturning a clearly wrong decision and pretending the panels are still independent of the board. Any time clubs are unhappy with the outcome of an appeal now they’ll be looking for a similar flaw to come out of nowhere.

From what I've gathered, it's not so much the referee's decision that's getting it in the neck (I too can understand), but more the appeals process who bizarrely agreed with it despite having as good a view as you'll ever get.

In the media yes, but on this thread the ref is getting a lot of stick. Deserves a bit of stick but you’re right it’s the panel system that’s flawed

4 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

They’d have been better off just admitting the system is broken and saying they’ll be overhauling it at the end of the season, rather than inventing a procedural failing as an excuse for overturning a clearly wrong decision and pretending the panels are still independent of the board. Any time clubs are unhappy with the outcome of an appeal now they’ll be looking for a similar flaw to come out of nowhere.

Aye, I think any club who has an appeal fail will try and create as big of storm as they can on social media to see if the SFA will back the panel or not.

Just now, WeeMentalDavie said:

Precedent set for when they f**k up similar decisions in the future. I doubt this is the first time this has happened either.

They've tried really hard to emphasise that the appeal has not been overturned yet and that this is 'in extremis', however the fact is every club in Scotland is watching this knowing that a precedent has now been set and will jump on any similar situation in the future.

Two questions for the P&B intelligentsia:

When did it become available to challenge a yellow card decision?

Who were the personnel on the review panel? My understanding is that it is chaired by a lawyer with an ex-ref and another member from within football e.g. a former player.