Airdrie0-0nians v Clyde

20 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:
35 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:
Thought Millar was good today ,Wedderburn kept midfield together I did not see that ,he played ok against a poor team ,

Someone doesn't like Wedderburn. He was the only guy taking the ball from our defenders. Millar and McKay weren't doing that.

I agree about Nat today in moving the ball on, and he was a real barrier in front of the CBs as well: there was a wee bit after we went 1 up where I said to my friends that Nat had not touched the ball-he then proceeded to head the ball out the park! But thankfully he improved after that as he did last week at Dumbarton. As to Millar his closing down and harrying Clyde's midfield was really good and he could break forward since Nat was covering.  McKays surge though for the second goal was really good but we should jettison the long throw tactic. I would praise all of them today and if they approach Peterhead in the same manner I will be happy. 

2 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I agree about Nat today in moving the ball on, and he was a real barrier in front of the CBs as well: there was a wee bit after we went 1 up where I said to my friends that Nat had not touched the ball-he then proceeded to head the ball out the park! But thankfully he improved after that as he did last week at Dumbarton. As to Millar his closing down and harrying Clyde's midfield was really good and he could break forward since Nat was covering.  McKays surge though for the second goal was really good but we should jettison the long throw tactic. I would praise all of them today and if they approach Peterhead in the same manner I will be happy. 

I do agree and Natt has improved but I understand some fans disagree on different players perfomances some go bit far one way but others do too there is clapping from some everytime he touches the ball. 

As an Airdrie fan I want all our players to do well and if not then if the criticism is fair and not ott then fans are entitled to their opinion be a dull world if we all agreed.

So praise for Natt he doesn't chuck the towel and he does have skill but some aspects need bit of work as is the case with us all.♦️

2 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

I do agree and Natt has improved but I understand some fans disagree on different players perfomances some go bit far one way but others do too there is clapping from some everytime he touches the ball. 

As an Airdrie fan I want all our players to do well and if not then if the criticism is fair and not ott then fans are entitled to their opinion be a dull world if we all agreed.

So praise for Natt he doesn't chuck the towel and he does have skill but some aspects need bit of work as is the case with us all.♦️

Sensible post,  glad the hysteria regarding Kurt is Roberts has calmed down just now,   enjoyed the game today, really deserved the 3 points, real team performance against a poor Clyde outfit who offered very little

Well deserved win and if we'd scored 4 or 5 (which we probably should have with some of the sitters we missed!) it wouldn't have flattered us at all. Couldn't fault any of the team today. Gallacher had one save to make all day but it was an excellent one. Calmly collected every cross that came his way too. He makes a difference in that regard. Kyle and Leon were both very good defensively and going forward. Their crosses to Smith (Leon in the first half and Kyle's in the second) were both superb and Smith really should have put them away. Goodwillie never got anything out of Kerr and Fordyce all day. When Kerr's concentrating and just playing as a centre-half rather than trying to be Pirlo, he's a decent player. That being said both him and Fordyce have much better distribution than Crighton. 

Millar was good at pressing and closing down the Clyde midfield and really preventing them from playing. Managed to get forward a few times too but it's a shame he's got no final ball or end product whatsoever haha. Wedderburn had another decent game. Nothing spectacular but did his job. As others have said though, the better teams in this league will be able to exploit his weaknesses. McKay gets a lot of stick but today he showed exactly what he's in the team for. Some cracking runs forward, hit the bar again and got another goal. The long throw was unsuccessful but I'm glad we used it less than we have done previously. And it was worth it for the frothing at the mouth scenes it elicited from the Clyde fans and Allan Moore. We all know the game and how it works. Every single team does it (including Clyde) and I'm never gonna complain when an opposition team does it back. Thought Murray had another decent game. Some good set piece deliveries once again but faded towards the end last week. He's improved our squad depth though and it's good to have him and then guys like Roberts to bring on who you know can actually add something to the team. 

Smith worked hard throughout and linked well with Ryan. Like I said above though he should have buried the two great chances he had. Ryan had a great game. He's looking a lot sharper now and a real threat whenever he gets the ball in and around the opposition's box. He took his goal well (and thank f**k he got it and got it early as he'd been trying too hard the last few weeks to get one) and now that he's got one I think he'll start to bang them in once again ❤️ 

Don't know how Gallagher missed at the end. Thankfully though it was immaterial to the result. 

As for Clyde - boy that was rough. I missed the previous games against Clyde but I was expecting quite a bit more from them. I reckon you could have picked three punters from the crowd and they'd have been better than either of the clown car centre-halves (some amount of shirt pulling going on the whole game btw) and Ross Lyon. Goodwillie was their only real threat and even he got nothing bar that one chance out of our defence the whole game. Lamont and McStay at least showed a bit of endeavour when they came on but not much more than that. f**k knows what Mitchell was playing at for the first goal but it was exactly the sort of luck we needed. I think you guys will do enough to stay up but without Goodwillie you'd sure be in trouble. 

Enjoyed the pleasantries shared between David Hutton and the Clyde fans at half-time. 

As for Murray - he genuinely is always that animated. We must have the most management team bookings out of all the clubs in the country this season. Love it though. 

Sounds like Ross Lyon back to last years form, was surprised to see him back in today after being out. Lang was a big miss but Howie and rumsby had a good partnership going before he came back. 

If we stay up, and that’s a big if, we need to move a few on. Simply not up to this level. 

1 minute ago, SLClyde said:

Sounds like Ross Lyon back to last years form, was surprised to see him back in today after being out. Lang was a big miss but Howie and rumsby had a good partnership going before he came back. 

If we stay up, and that’s a big if, we need to move a few on. Simply not up to this level. 

What's the script with Greg Wylde he looks completely clueless on a football field,  been at many a good club and disappeared,  had to laugh today when moorinho was telling him where to stand at a free kick,  complete waste of a jersey

5 hours ago, SLClyde said:

Lyon was poor but no worse than anybody else on the day. Really bad team performance. 

Seen a video of the first goal and it looks like a couple of our players ducked when the ball got struck. Mental stuff.

Edited by C. Muir

If we go down this season. We cant have any arguements with Performances like yesterday

If i was a neutral it looked like a top four L1 team v bottom 4 L2 team...

Smith up front for Airdrie gave our defence the run around (again) and he alone looked a class above..

Very concerning and just need to hope stranraer dont hit a run because 9th is our best hope at this moment

Not great- any slim chance we had of chasing down 4th has now gone.

By all accounts we were dreadful yesterday- and I mean woeful.

A very strange starting line up- to say the least.

Mcstay seemed good enough to start v Celtic but not up to playing away to Airdrie? Could perhaps understand if he’d been replaced by a fast, hard, mobile loanee- but no- Wylde and Lyons..........and Grant holding deep in front of the defence with Ranks, great player though he is trying to run centre mid at 36, two games into a comeback from long term injury. I think there’s many a lowland league side would fancy lining up v that set up.

Goodie at last with someone closer as we played 4-1-3-1-1 but the way it’s going we could have a world class striker up there for all the good it does with tactics like this. It’s complete regression- but never mind eh- we’ve got performance tracking vests!

Danny has been given everything- best budget for years- luxury travel for away matches- all the gizmos to aid training- total support from the Chairmen past and present and we are producing displays and results like this, and Forfar, to mention but two.

Even hearing posters on club forum blaming Lang coming back for disrupting Howie and Rumsby’s partnership..... heard it all now!

It’s time now, with almost a fully fit squad for Danny to prove he can be the man to take us to the Championship- sadly for me right now- the jury is out.

41 minutes ago, HughieMc said:

Even hearing posters on club forum blaming Lang coming back for disrupting Howie and Rumsby’s partnership..... heard it all now!

It’s time now, with almost a fully fit squad for Danny to prove he can be the man to take us to the Championship- sadly for me right now- the jury is out.

I think the point was that Lang coming back meant that Danny is / was trying to play every CH he had, including McNiff in starting back 4, which is an absolute shambles. Don’t think anyone disputes Lang’s ability or returning.

14 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

I think the point was that Lang coming back meant that Danny is / was trying to play every CH he had, including McNiff in starting back 4, which is an absolute shambles. Don’t think anyone disputes Lang’s ability or returning.

You’d like to think that was the point- sometimes hard decisions need to be taken- and dropping one of two CB’s shouldn’t be too hard. Danny put Lang at right back until Cogill’s injury at Peterhead gave him a way out.

Decisions like this need taking- Howie is as much a RB as Lang was.... 

With the exception of Goodwillie, from what I've seen (admittedly a small sample size) player for player, and tactically, Clyde look the worst side in the division. If you switched Goodwillie with one of Stranrear's strikers I think their positions in the league would be switched - they have had so many draws that with a decent finisher they would be well up the league. Goodwillie has scored 60% of their goals, and has presumably set up a few as well. Think I'm right that they have only won twice in the league when he hasn't scored - weirdly both wins over Falkirk. Clyde are mainly League 2 players with a Championship striker, therefore if you stop Goodwillie it's a relatively simple game. At Broadwood we didn't do that (although should still have taken something), yesterday we did.

The one thing I would say is that when you have one obviously better player you tend to set the team up entirely around that one player, which may account for some of the team's deficiencies. Stranrear are gone though, they wont be able to win enough to catch up, so Clyde are safe from that. I think they'll probably just avoid 9th but will be pretty close - injury or suspension to Goodwillie and they will be in bother.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever